Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Dress up my cabinets - knobs, pulls or both?

Tmnca
11 years ago

I have very plain cabinets - slab doors with routed edge. I'm painting them next weekend and wanted to add some hardware. Currently they have hidden routed finger pulls in the edge which is horrible - especially for painted cabinets - the paint is scratched and chipping where fingers hit it and they get dirty.

I have a total of 10 drawers and 20 cabinets. I want to dress them up a bit, but I think all pulls would probably looks too busy. I like pulls on drawers because they are easier to use than knobs. But that leaves knobs for cabinets, with a bigger empty flat space with only a little knob to decorate the expanse.

Any suggestions?

Here's the kitchen shortly after we moved in to show the cabinets- the paint job the PO did on the cabinets is horrible and needs to be stripped and re-done. The countertops are now concrete (still working on those), the dishwasher is a new white one, walls are James Rover Gray, and I'm putting in white subway tile backsplash... so lots of white I love a bright kitchen.

Our home is decorated in traditional-transitional style.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by tinan on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 10:30

Comments (14)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Something in a silver tone satin finish might be nice. Or, if you wanted a touch of color you could add it in the knobs. I agree with your simple doors that all pulls might be too much of the linear.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I like pulls on doors. I ended up using knobs on my own, because my raised panel doors already have enough vertical lines. But with the slab doors, I think you could use pulls on the doors as well as the drawers without it looking too busy.

The only way I was able to make this decision was to go to Lowes and Home Depot and buy one of several different pulls and knobs that I liked. When I held them up, it was easy to tell what worked. Even if they aren't the exact style you want, it's much easier to determine a good size and general shape, not to mention finish. I ended up with ORB although I had thought I'd want nickel. And the stores accept the returns without question.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I have a small 10'x10' kitchen. I have pulls on all my drawers and cabs *except* the two cabs above my fridge and range hood where I used knobs. I did it for the hell of it, for a bit of variety, and I'm glad I did.

Edited to add: The pulls and knobs are from Top Knobs, but different collections. However, the finish is the same and that ties them together.

This post was edited by linelle on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 12:06

• allison0704
    11 years ago

With so many drawers and doors, I think I mix would be nice and help break things up a bit.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For example would it looks strange to use pulls on drawers and upper cabinet door,s but knobs on lower cabinet doors?

How about mixing pull styles (eg dowel style and finger-pull type) does that sound weird?

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

In your space I could see vertical pulls on doors and horizontal on drawers. Especially if you got some retro pulls, which with the slab doors and concrete counter might look nice and sort of 40s-50sish?

Here's a discussion on semi-overlay slab doors such as you have

Here is a link that might be useful: Slab doors -- are they always modern?

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

I'm thinking of my parents' (awesome) 60s plywood kitchen -- they have pulls with a bit of detail, not full on ultra modern.

They have something like this but a bit more flared:

{{!gwi}}

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am trying to steer it more toward traditional/transitional and not a fan of retro kitchens for my house... it as built in 1980.

Here are some examples of hardware I have been considering:

What do you think of:

#1 on the large drawers
    #2 on the cabinets (vertical)
    #3 on the tiny corner drawers and maybe cabinets above the range and fridge

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Whoops---now I see that would be totally wrong for you after your last post. Sorry!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:42

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's ok robotropolis I appreciate the ideas. And it could be that I am just trying to do something that shouldn't be attempted without an all new kitchen...

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

i'm not a fan of bin pulls, especially if you're leaning toward transitional. I would keep it simpler with the knob for the doors and small drawers and the pulls for large drawers.

I really like your hardware choices!

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

What I was thinking but wrong knob is...knob with backplate?

• franki1962
    11 years ago

we went with knobs for doors and pulls for drawers

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

franki1962, it looks great on your cabinets, but they have trim and interest. Mine are just blank... I guess I'll go buy one of the pulls and one of the knobs and hold them up, see how it all looks.

I thought I'd seen bin pulls in transitional kitchens but I am a decorating newbie so I am probably wrong!