Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height difference of staggered cabinets?

Posted by lodalady (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 10:25

Please help me and add pictures if you can.

We are removing the lovely soffet in our remodel. The kitchen ceiling is 8ft and we have chosen staggered cabinets. The lowers will have glass doors. The hickory cabinets are custom by an Amish cabinet maker, and even though he has done many kitchens, we aren't on the same page for cabinet heights. To him staggered is six inches. Add a three inch crown, and that's not what I'm after. Maybe I should choose a different crown for the lowered cabinets?

What is the height difference between your staggered cabinets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height difference of staggered cabinets?

6" is a good distance--if you only do 3", they tend to not look very staggered and any more than 6 could look goofy unless you have soemthing specific to display on top of the lowers that require it

o

If my cabinets are 40" to the ceiling, would a 30" cabinet with a 3" molding be appropriate? If the cabinets are 33, add a 3" molding, that would leave 3" gap to the ceiling.

I'm thinking my last cabinets had a 9" difference. I'm so confused.

o

We have 3 different heights in our kitchen - none of the cabinets actually go all the way to the ceiling, but the tallest has a 3" crown and the crown touches the ceiling, if that makes sense. Then we have some where the crown stops 4" below the ceiling (so the cabinets are also 4" shorter), and others that are 10" from the ceiling (so 6" down from the middle ones).

o

We did a 6" stagger because the cabinets came in 6" increments. Same crown on both. Here's what it looks like (photo from when it was not yet finished).
Photobucket

o

weedy acres, how big is the crown in your beautiful kitchen?

snowyshasta, I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

o

Here's a picture that shows some of the staggering in our kitchen:

FK4

The cabinet+crown in the center (over the ovens) goes all the way to the ceiling, as does the cabinet with just a tiny bit of crown visible on the right. The hood is the next step down that I mentioned; the crown ends about 4 inches from the ceiling. The rest of the cabinets step down once more from there, about another 6 inches.

o

snowyshasta - where did you get that lovely blue tile?

o

In our only one section of staggered cabs, top of crown to top of crown (same crown) is about 4 inches. Seems perfect to me. My center ones are larger, higher and with glass. Bordered by 2 smaller solid ones.

o

Sorry for the delayed response: our crown is about 3" tall.

o

I'm even more delayed than weedy, sorry! The blue tile is from Pratt & Larsen, local to Portland, Oregon, but I think available elsewhere as well.

o

I've got staggered cabinets too but same depth. 6" difference in height. I want to use the same crown but in order to get close to the hinge side of this corner door (the side with the big knot in it) I have to get the top flat front of the crown on the left side cabinets over the top of the door. Door is so close to the top of the cabinets, would it look strange to just bring the crown on the lower cabinets to the same height as the top of the upper cabinet frame? Same crown, but would have about 2" of valance or frieze showing under the crown on the corner cabinet, and more like 3" on top of the side cabinets. I already have 3" spacer on top of the fridge and if I want to bring that to ceiling like corner cabinet, it would need another 2".

Over frdige - grain

Sorry for the hijack

o

Generally 6" difference in the stagger. Mainly because standard wall cabinets come in 6" increments. And I think that looks best even with crown. But you want to make sure all of your higher cbts are also deeper. (3" is enough ) Especially in the corner or you'll run into problem with door clearance as above picture shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

o

granite-girl: I didn't have 3" more in width (fridge would have ended up overlapping door casing) that the 3" in depth comes with. What do you suggest for crown solution above?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here