Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find brown soapstone?

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 10:21

I have seen it on pix of finished kitchens several times, on Houzz and other places, but cannot find it anywhere.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/86900/Bay-Village-Renovation-contemporary-kitchen-boston

Called several yards, like M. Teixeira, and nobody seems to carry them anymore. I have even called a couple of designers listed on the projects but got no answer (can't blame them, of course).

Could you help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find brown soapstone?

Dorado has something on their website called Chocolate Jade.

o

Maybe the reason why you can't find it is because it doesn't exist? Honestly, I'm far from an authority on the subject, but in the years since I've become very familiar with soapstone, Ive never seen nor heard of a brown soapstone. Some soapstones, such as my own Green Mountain Original PA, may have some brown coloring in them. Although my stone primarily reads black, there are times when I can see hints of brown, caramel and green colorings in the stone as well. However, that only happens when natural sunlight hits my counters in a particular way. As for the stone in the photo you posted? While it definitely looks "warm" to me, I'm not seeing "brown" on my monitor. Could it be that it's the kitchen (or photo) lighting that is causing the black of the stone to look brownish? Finally, this question so intrigued me that I followed the link that Needinfo posted. However, on the site, Dorado says its "Chocolate Jade" is not a soapstone -- but a "Jade Stone". Or, according to the site: "natural stone fused together with intense heat" (of? with?) and "jade, quartz, kaolin- and pigment powders." Go figure. Meanwhile, if you ever do find the brown soapstone of your dreams, please post and inform the rest of us about it. :-) Good luck!

o

The soapstone looks like a standard soapstone .. Maybe Minas from the look of it. Not sure where you saw it referred to as brown. The article seems to link to this company http://www.thesoapstoneworks.com/soapstone.htm

o

Thank you!

Yes, I saw his reference to thesoapstoneworks.com and even called them but they had nothing in brown.

If it truly is a regular (grey/black) soapstone, that was some lighting on that picture because the counter looks chocolate-brown to me!

Marthavila,

Brown soapstone is not the stone of my dream, more like a compromise, LOL. I really want a green stone but not sure if it'd work with my current re-design. Also, green soapstones are way too dark. I am not a fan of granites but it looks like I may have to go that route.

Needinfo1 or anyone else,

Do you know what jade stones cost (on average) per sq. ft or just how they compare to soapstone?

o

Photoshop.

o

There's some nice brown Marble that's spidery like SS, it's called Emperador.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here