Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What light over sink

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:18

I want to install a light over the kitchen sink. There's no other light fixture close by but there's an old covered-up previous light fixture hole that is NOT centered but that I will reuse. Considering these constraints, should I go with a:
pendant

Track light

or flush light

I love the idea of a pendant but I'm worried it may not give enough light and it may look weird because it's not centered.

Area looks like this:
 photo kitchenlight_zpse3c20609.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What light over sink

The old hole seems pretty close to center, so it is possible that it could be moved. It depends where the 2x4's in the ceiling are.
Given the constraint that the hole cannot be moved, my preference would be a pendant on a chain, like the one you posted, and I would swag it to hang centered with the window and the faucet.
When you say you are worried about the pendant not being enough light, what other lighting do you have in your kitchen. Track would be my second choice and you can get all kinds of great systems running the track in a swirl across the ceiling with directional heads pointed where you need them or perhaps running the track the perimeter of the room.
Pendant or track- function being the deciding variable.

o

There is a three light fixture kind of from where the picture was taken.
A fixed track light with adjustable arms would probably be better because it could also be directed to the counter next to the range.

Here is a link that might be useful: track light

o

We have a pendant over the sink, and it provides a lot of light. I would see about moving the fixture.

Or, hang the pendant from the existing fixture. It looks like it is centered between the cabinet and the wall, so it might not look weird at all.

Thumbtack a string from the existing hole, and hang a piece of cardboard from it the size of the pendant, to see what you think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here