Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barker Cabinets Easy to order???

Posted by powergirl (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 10:14

I am deciding between Barker cabinets and Conestoga RTA. I like the idea of Shaker frameless cabinets (personal preference) and have heard only good things about Barker. I am intimidated about doing all the ordering online and they don't offer any design/ordering services. I know The Cabinet Joint will help with this process for Conestoga Cabinets.
If anyone has any experience good or bad ordering Barker Cabinets I would love to hear it. Any pictures of either kitchen would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barker Cabinets Easy to order???

I did my cabinet design the old fashioned way - graph paper. That said, these are full overlay frameless at Barker, so you want to make sure you have appropriate fillers and trim pieces.

This is not my first rodeo, so I wasn't intimidated by measuring (twice, three times and then quadruple check), figuring my fillers (at walls and appliances if applicable) and then designing cabinets for the space that was left. Have all your specs for everything - range, fridge, sinks...everything.

I only had one issue that I was a little unsure about - and I explained my issue in the notes and it was all taken care of.

Also, feel free to contact Chad Barker for clarification if you need it. He's very accessible.

Also, the layout gurus here can help you with design if you draw out a detailed floorplan with measurements.

My only issue was my own mathematical error - we had a clipped corner that we unclipped and I miscalculated the new space by two inches. I ended up field modifying the sink base cabinet since it is the most basic/cheapest cabinet. We trimmed the floor of the cabinet and the stretchers so we still had the original holes for construction. The fix wasn't without "creep" - the original sink didn't fit and the doors for the cabinet no longer fit either - but both problems were solved and we moved forward.

Overall, I am super pleased with my Barker cabinets. I think they are just as nice as the bank of Shiloh inset cabinets that I have on my accent fridge wall.

o

Thanks grlwprls, Do you have any pictures of your finished kitchen? I would love to see them. I ordered a sample door/cabinet but it hasn't arrived yet.

o

We're just finishing up this weekend...backsplash, cabinet fronts, range hood - that sort of thing. Still searching for a work table, but I will do another partial reveal early next week!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here