Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
second sink space size

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 10:12

I'd like to have a counter beside my refrigerator that has a small sink for filtered drinking water. Do you think 30" is enough room to have the small sink and still have room to pour milk in a bowl of cereal and have it not feel too cluttered?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: second sink space size

It would depend on the size of the sink you plan to use. Will the fridge be counter depth or regular depth? If regular depth and not recessed, have you considered having a deeper counter in that area? If you can set the sink back a few inches, that would leave more room for a cereal bowl, glass, etc. I made the counter next to my fridge deeper to accommodate a microwave.

o

I wouldn't set the sink back anymore than absolutely necessary. The farther back it is the harder it is on your back and shoulders b/c you have to lean forward to use the sink. Even one or two inches can make a big difference!

Are you saying you only have 30" of width to fit a sink + landing/work space?

o

Yes it's enough room to prepare a bowl of cereal. It won't feel overly spacious or anything but it's workable.

We have a small sink in our breakfast bar area and it has a little more than 14" on each side. On one side we make coffee and store the sugar, some teas, and a spoon rest on the counter too. On the other side we have enough room to make a sandwich.

You can do a small sink in a 15" base and then a 15" drawer base beside it and it will be a functional enough little area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here