Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Microwave cabinet option...advice?

Linda Ross
16 years ago

I am not putting microwave over range but off countertop next to refrigerator cabinet. What sort of microwave cabinet do you have? Do you have a wooden cabinet surrounding the microwave even on the bottom of microwave and using a trim kit? I thought some of you just suspended your microwave without a trim kit. What should I do, need to finalize cabinets. I was planning on going with the GE profile spacemaker microwave.

Comments (14)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Our GE is on a shelf between our two pantry cabs. The open space around the micro was then covered/filled by a wood panel with a cut-out for the micro (almost like a picture frame), and then the micro trim kit was attached to that wood panel. Here's a picture, it'll show it better than I'm explaining:

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

We have our microwave in the custom cabinets with our built-in refridgerator. There is an 15"x24" opening on each side of the refridgerator and a pull out shelf below each opening to use when needed. We have our microwave on the left side and our toaster oven on the right side. I do not plan to trim out the opening to cover any gaps that exists as the insides of the opening were stained to match the outside of the cabinets.

Here is a picture:

• holligator
    16 years ago

We put ours under the counter in the island and LOVE it there even more than we thought we would. It's out of sight, out of the way, doesn't take up any counter space, but is easily accessible. I had an opening made above a large drawer. The opening more than accommodates my small microwave because I had it made to the specs of the Sharp microwave drawer, just in case we ever decide to get one. In the meantime, I store cutting boards on end in the extra space next to the microwave.

One of my favorite microwave cabinets is from athomedad:

{{!gwi}}

His has the lift up cabinet door covering the microwave and the handy counter underneath, all right next to the fridge.

• berryberry
    16 years ago

ours combines several of the above concepts - it will be in an 18 inch deep cabinet that comes down to the counter top, at counter top height, behind a hideaway door that flips up and slides back.

So we:

1. Get it our of sight
    2. Keep it at counter height (we considered below counter height but believe that is too low)
    3. Make it easily accessable but also very easily hidden

• shermstead
    16 years ago

My wife was against a Microwave Drawer and the GE Spacesaver (PEM31) is the only cabinet depth (12") I could find. Decided against the under cabinet hanging kit (want my undercab lights on one switch) and I'm having my cabinet maker build a cabinet to the dimension of the microwave. He said he'll add trim if needed. I'll know in another week, if this works out!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Please excuse our construction mess and yet-to-be-properly-aligned cabinet doors over it, but here is our new microwave. (I resized this to make it smaller, but it's huge on 'preview.' Hopefully, it will post the right size!)

• weissman
    16 years ago

I have the GE Spacemaker II mounted in an upper cabinet with a trim kit - the cabinet is custom made - pictures on my home page but it looks a lot like cat_mom's. We had to recess it slightly into the wall to make it flush with the cabinets.

• zoey_neohio
    16 years ago

Mollie, I am hoping to not have to put the micro over the range,also. I have been collecting some pictures of different installations so email me if you would like me to send you the pics. Zoey

• sawmill
    16 years ago

Molly,

We put our GE Spacemaker II on a shelf with an overhead garage door to keep it off the counter.

I also want to mention that good ventilation is important around a microwave. We had a burnt microwave at work a few years ago after an employee leaned the paper instruction manual along the side of the microwave, too close to its vents, and it overheated. The building smelled for a week.

Our microwave cabinet is linked below. For the closed door version, tab back one shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave garage

• zelmar
    16 years ago

Ours is sitting in a cabinet. I think the cabinet is about 17" deep. Our first mw lasted 15 years. The next one lasted 3. I like having a flexible space so that I will have a wide variety of choices next time around.

{{gwi:1574846}}

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Mine is similar to Zelmar's [great kitchen by the way!].

No trim kit, just a regular countertop micro, not a built in; but I did blow up a microwave that filled the shelf too well-- wasn't enough air space. A bazillion times better than over the range, though

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I guess I should have clarified that ours is just a counter model, too...for the same reason Zelmar mentioned: easy and relatively inexpensive replacement options. We have one that's 23 yrs old and still going, but it's smallish, low-powered, and without a turntable, so we've had others in recent years. But they don't seem to last very long.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I have the GE Profile Spacemaker suspended from an upper cab next to my fridge. Not the best pic.

• shermstead
    16 years ago

I'm having the cabinet made very tight to the dimensions of the GE Spacemaker. Didn't want the built in kit - adds lots of surround and, especially almost 4" depth. Hope we won't be blowing this MW up!