Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Brackets under Marble overhang

Posted by Whit461 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 10:01

Help! Unlike dishwashers, information on supporting an overhanging marble countertop is lacking real detail.

We have planned on a penninsula with a 42" x 8' countertop of marble. Accounting for the cabinet (24") and 1" overhang on the front, and a 1" decorative panel on the backside of the cabinet, we will have a 16" x 8' wide overhang of marble, counterheight. Thickness is 3CM. According to NKBA, anything over 10" of granite needs support (I could not find a mention of marble). And that support should be at a minimum 1/2 to 3/4 the span of overhang, and for an 8' wide piece, supports should be at the ends and then at 30" for 4 supports total.

I just called my marble installer, and posed the same question to him for suggestions. I have two styles of brackets that we like, but one is 10-1/2" deep and the other is 13" deep. The 13" deep is not our first choice, and is 20" tall, so it will come down on the cabinets a long way into leg room and moving stools around. The other is only 14". Both are solid wood and concave in shape. He felt that granite would be OK with the 10-1/2" support, but that marble is more brittle.

Comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Brackets under Marble overhang

Have you thought about using steel supports underneath the countertop to support the overhang? Moving stools around freely would no longer be an issue without the corbels in the way. We did this with the granite overhang on our breakfast bar.

o
RE: Help with Brackets under Marble overhang

Marble is softer and breaks easier than granite. It needs better support than granite. Yes to the steel. Look at the Counter Balance brackets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here