Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

New Day...New Question! Offset Drain in Sink?

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

I have always liked this idea, but usually it's the expensive sinks with this feature. (The drain is to the side, not the back center).

Are there any disadvantages to this?

I'm doing a 33" single zero radius again. Just moving the drain this time.

file under TKO, yet again

If you have one, can you share your experience?

thanks

Comments (14)

• quirk
    12 years ago

I had this sink in my last house (small space). I liked the corner drain. Even if I had a dirty dish or colander in the sink, I still had access to use the garbage disposal. If there was a down-side, I never noticed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: offset drain

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I decided to go with an offset (corner) drain to give more undercabinet room to the other side. I am intending to put recycling there.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Love it love it love it. I have a 33" franke with the offset drain. Non blockages is a big plus as is the space underneath the sink.

• westiegirl
    12 years ago

I have a Blanco silgranit super single with an offset drain. My drain is off to the side and slightly to the back, but definitely not in the corner.

We have a much messier household than you and often there are dishes in the sink, waiting to go in the dishwasher, or a pot soaking. I love the offset drain because I can still use the sink and garbage disposal on the other side, treating it more like a double bowl, with the convenience of a single bowl.

My only caveat would be to make sure you have a pull out/down sprayer or a side spray to be able to adequately rinse out the entire sink and guide the little "bits" over to the drain.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will it be an issue if I have a dish drawer on each side? The one further from the drain should still be ok, right? I know it will cause that side to not be perfectly open under the sink due to plumbing.

That's probably a dumb question.

Thanks for the LOVE info! I'm glad you all like them.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Love my offset drain. Its so much easy to wash food off a plate right into the disposal, regardless of where the dw is. Scraping everything and trying to funnel it to the middle is such a pain compared to the offset drain.

Pulldown sprayer is a must. I will ALWAYS have an offset drain now that I have experienced it.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I had a top mount sink with an offset drain AND faucet before and loved it. With the new remodel, just completed this week, I could not find an undermount,SS offset drain that fit my 30" base. I put the faucet in the middle to line up with the drain this time, but not sure I like it---seems to stick out too far and be in the way. I have a feeling that when I am working I will be turning the faucet to the side to get it out of the way. Too soon to tell yet if I really dislike it since I'm not really using it yet..have to get everything moved back in.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Offset drains are great. For me the main advantage is the disposal is off to the side, providing more undercounter cabinet room. And no, it shouldn't interfere with the cabinet to the side of it.

By the way, Bee...one of the things I love MOST about my kitchen now? Pull-outs under the sinks instead of regular doors. There are two drawers under the big 33" sink and one under the small prep sink. The backs have cutouts to accomodate plumbing and disposals. NO more dark nasty caves!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Melissa, I WANT those! Wish I knew about that idea a while ago...

• willtv
    12 years ago

We were going to go for a corner drain sink but the increase in price wasn't worth it for us.
    Instead we went for a Blanco super single which has a center drain offset to the rear.
    Our only concern would have been if there would be enough room in the base cabinet for the GD.
    Otherwise, we didn't see any other concerns.
    Also you'll gain more useable space in the base cabinet.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I have the super single silgranit with the center drain offset slightly to the back upon recommendation of my stone fabricator (they sell sinks and faucets also) for the quilted sink floor. Because I have a separate prep sink, the super single cleanup sink is really only used for, well, cleanup. I had planned on the super single with side offset drain, but I don't find the drain location of mine to ever be an issue. Works fine for me. At least it's not in the middle of a small 50/50 sink. Now THAT sucks. :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Melissa, do I have to send the cabinetmaker yet another email?

I found a zero radius ss sink on ebay with the drain to the side. It's listed for 299, I got it for $280. I'm happy with that, I went and looked at the Ticor sink that is backordered that I wanted, I think I'm ahead.

I'm feeling a little low because I missed out and was outbid on a new Kohler Stages sink last night--they got it for $373. My fingers weren't fast enough. ugh

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Bee...were you bidding on ebay? If so...do you know about sniping sites? email me if you want info.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

email on the way.