Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone reinstalled an older cast iron sink?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 9:51

I am debating what to do in my period kitchen (1916 house with a kitchen with kind of a 1920s-1930s look and feel in cabinetry and finishes). We are installing soapstone counters, and I am definitely thinking about retaining my nearly twenty year old Kohler sink. (Disregard the wooden drain board and cutting board in the picture; we just have the drain board exposed.) It is an overmount which I know is not trendy right now, but I don't care about trendy. And, I have read that quite a few people have regretted putting undermount sinks in soapstone counters.

Here is the link to the sink. I am sorry, but, even though I've done it in the past, I just can't get the photo to copy here today.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp;jsessionid=1B5FAA95A250B24DD32014810B65D1DB.kohler-prod2-ecom2?productId=418775&prodColor=&isProductDiscontinued=true&_requestid=4239692

My goal is more of a classic look in my kitchen. My sink is white and in nearly perfect condition, with just a few minor scratches. Before they were discontinued, they were selling for close to $1,500. We don't have a prep sink area, so I really want to have a second bowl (small though it may be in this sink). It has worked for us. The larger bowl is 16" X 18" wide by 9 1/2 " deep, and I have lived with it for years so I know things like cookie sheets need to be turned to be soaked. Plus, and this is a big one, the sink size fits our cabinetry because the drainboard portion just sits on top of a cabinet without taking up any depth. The entire sink is 43”, but the bowls themselves are under 30” wide.

I am definitely open to the possibility of replacing the sink, and I started on a search to see what other options I have. But, I’ve discovered, because of our size constraints, there do not seem to be any good options that will give me a small extra sink; we need something to fit in the equivalent of a 30” cabinet. I am willing to spend the money to get the right sink, so cost is not the issue here. I still think white enamel on cast iron is probably the closest look to what I want overall for my kitchen. I don’t want stainless. I do not think a farmhouse sink is the appropriate look for the era of my kitchen. I’ve been reading about dark silgranite sinks with soapstone counters, but I don’t know if that is the right look for a kitchen of this era. And, I don’t know if a soapstone sink (nearly all I’ve seen are farmhouse sinks) is right either. For the era of my kitchen, it just seems a white sink is best.

I know many people pay big bucks for the truly vintage sinks (and these might not even be in as good a shape as mine) and design kitchens around them. But, I am also concerned about spending all of the money on new countertops and then putting in a sink that is not brand new.

What do people think? Has anyone reused an enamel cast iron? If so, a few years on down the road, how do you feel about having made this decision? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone reinstalled an older cast iron sink?

I put in a giant green Kohler cast iron wall mount sink from probably the 1920s. Everyone thought I was nuts but I loved it. I wish I could take it with me to our next kitchen but it's just too big. The only thing I don't like about it is that the finish is a bit worn in the bowls and it's hard to keep clean.

I think if you like your sink, it fits your decor, it's in decent shape and you can't find anything you like better, then use it! If it cleans up nicely, who is to say it isn't good as brand new?

o
RE: Has anyone reinstalled an older cast iron sink?

Thanks. It is good to hear from someone who has done this. On the one hand, I do see how outrageously expensive these older period sinks are and know they have had many decades of use. And, on the other, I see everyone all of the time starting all over with brand new.

And, I'm lucky because mine my still cleans up easily and looks nearly pristine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here