Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Has anyone reinstalled an older cast iron sink?

julieste
11 years ago

I am debating what to do in my period kitchen (1916 house with a kitchen with kind of a 1920s-1930s look and feel in cabinetry and finishes). We are installing soapstone counters, and I am definitely thinking about retaining my nearly twenty year old Kohler sink. (Disregard the wooden drain board and cutting board in the picture; we just have the drain board exposed.) It is an overmount which I know is not trendy right now, but I don't care about trendy. And, I have read that quite a few people have regretted putting undermount sinks in soapstone counters.

Here is the link to the sink. I am sorry, but, even though I've done it in the past, I just can't get the photo to copy here today.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp;jsessionid=1B5FAA95A250B24DD32014810B65D1DB.kohler-prod2-ecom2?productId=418775&prodColor=&isProductDiscontinued=true&_requestid=4239692

My goal is more of a classic look in my kitchen. My sink is white and in nearly perfect condition, with just a few minor scratches. Before they were discontinued, they were selling for close to $1,500. We don't have a prep sink area, so I really want to have a second bowl (small though it may be in this sink). It has worked for us. The larger bowl is 16" X 18" wide by 9 1/2 " deep, and I have lived with it for years so I know things like cookie sheets need to be turned to be soaked. Plus, and this is a big one, the sink size fits our cabinetry because the drainboard portion just sits on top of a cabinet without taking up any depth. The entire sink is 43âÂÂ, but the bowls themselves are under 30â wide.

I am definitely open to the possibility of replacing the sink, and I started on a search to see what other options I have. But, IâÂÂve discovered, because of our size constraints, there do not seem to be any good options that will give me a small extra sink; we need something to fit in the equivalent of a 30â cabinet. I am willing to spend the money to get the right sink, so cost is not the issue here. I still think white enamel on cast iron is probably the closest look to what I want overall for my kitchen. I donâÂÂt want stainless. I do not think a farmhouse sink is the appropriate look for the era of my kitchen. IâÂÂve been reading about dark silgranite sinks with soapstone counters, but I donâÂÂt know if that is the right look for a kitchen of this era. And, I donâÂÂt know if a soapstone sink (nearly all IâÂÂve seen are farmhouse sinks) is right either. For the era of my kitchen, it just seems a white sink is best.

I know many people pay big bucks for the truly vintage sinks (and these might not even be in as good a shape as mine) and design kitchens around them. But, I am also concerned about spending all of the money on new countertops and then putting in a sink that is not brand new.

What do people think? Has anyone reused an enamel cast iron? If so, a few years on down the road, how do you...

Comments (2)