Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoesmomma

Which hutch design do you like best?

twinkletoesmomma
15 years ago

This is originally what was drawn up. I have 50" to work with, but this is only 48". There is 2- 24" glass doors on top. On the bottom, there is 15 inch cabinets on either side with an 18 in drawer base.

This is the new drawing.

It is only 45" wide which is 5 inches less than the usable space--about 9 inches away from the sliding back door which might be too much.

The top has 3- 15" glass doors and the bottom has 2- 15" cabinets on the sides with a 15" drawer set in the middle.

Also, I worked on the island a little more...does that look better? I am not sure what I will put in all those spice drawers, but it seems better than just having a 6 inch filler. Do you think bead board would look nice on the side or should I keep it as fake doors. I am going for a simple, but elegant farmhouse look.

Comments (5)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I hate to see you trade an 18" drawer bank for a 15". I thought you were considering an 18" open shelf area in the center of the top section?

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Not sure about the hutch...yet, but do have some questions.

Is your sink going to be centered under the window? Also, what are your plans for a backspash, regular countertop and hutch counter? My thoughts on the beadboard would depend on what else you are doing.

Also, what would you think of putting the same size cabinet on the left of your range hood as you do on the right, then take the remaining room and put open shelves there. Like Redroze did in this pic: This would eleminate the narrow bookcase to the counter and keep the counter open from your sink to your range.

What are you going to use your hutch for? Have you considered taking the top cabinets all the way down to the counter?

Just some thoughts...hope it helps.

• teppy
    15 years ago

i'm not quite understanding why you would want to cut it down? Is it for the same reason possibly that I thought about doing the same thing, which would be because i was afraid that it was too close to my back door? If thats it, don't do it. make the hutch as large as possible. I'm glad that I went as far as I did with mine. it does not interfere with the door opening and traffic coming in and out at all.i have 7" of wall space between the hutch and the door. my kitchen is not finished yet, but heres a pic.
    {{!gwi}}

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only reason I wouldn't make it "as big as possible" is because I didn't know whether the large 24" doors are too big--lookwise and function. If I make it into the 3 doors, it would automatically cut it down 3 inches because I am not going with custom cabinets.

I don't want to come all the way down to the countertop because I need counter space.

These are my inspirational pics which is why I hesitate to do the shelf. It is pretty, but not what I imagined for this space. I wanted all glass uppers.

Reducing the size of the drawer there doesn't bother me too much. I added 4 drawers on either side of the range and they are 21 inches wide. I just want to pick what looks best since this is going to be my focal point.

I'll have to think about what I need to store in that cabinet next to the range. I might need some hidden storage. :) That shelf is soooo pretty though. I wonder if I can pull it off!

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Using your inspiration photos as a guide .... how about using 2 24" uppers, with 2 glass doors on each. That way, your hutch will have 4 12" doors. It will look a lot like the photo above.

Connie