Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bblakeney

Help! Need feedback on KOBE range hood

bblakeney
10 years ago

Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The model I'm looking at is the:CH9136SQB-1 (36"). It's an under cabinet hood - 36", and can be viewed at this link:http://www.koberangehoods.com/product/CH-191SQB-1.html
I had never heard of KOBE before GW, but fell in love with the design. The features I'm attracted to: LED lights instead of halogens; dishwasher safe baffles instead of the mesh plates; low noise; a delayed shutoff setting; and the beautiful style!

I am a serious cook and my stove gets heavy use. My primary questions to those of you who have owned a KOBE are:
1) How well does it ventilate?
2) Any quality issues with the product (motors, buttons, etc.)?
3) Are the LED lights bright enough?
4) Easy to clean?
5) Is it reasonably quiet?
6) How long have you owned your KOBE?

Thank you so much in advance for your feedback!!!

Comments (12)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I've only had mine a few months and am not entirely pleased (mine is an insert in a wood cabinet hood). The lights stopped working all at once, the service guy has been out twice and is now waiting on back ordered parts to fix it. It is reasonably quiet and effective in venting, and looks nice, and I do like the delayed shutoff.

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

We've had our Kobe chimney hood for about 3 years. It works great and is very quiet and we've not had any problems with it.

• Specific ibex
    10 years ago

We have had Kobe CH2230SQB for a little over a year now. 30" 720CFM. Exhaust goes straight back through the wall outside.

It ventilates very very well. We use high speed occasionally - cooking huge pots at high boil (canning, beer brewing, multiple steaming pots), stir-frying, searing things, and when the ovens below (it's over our range with 2 ovens) have something smoky or steamy in them. Mostly just Quiet or the low speed for regular cooking though.

No quality issues with it. The LED lights are nice and bright; we use them a lot and have replaced about 4 bulbs so far. A bit more frequent than I was expecting but easy to do and not expensive.
    Very easy to clean; we put the baffles in the DW.

It is very quiet except on high and even then it's not bad, but I think that has some to do with the hood itself and some to do with the length and directness of your exhaust vent to the outside.

Works about 1000X better than the ancient OTR microwave with exhaust that was there previously.

• icekream
    10 years ago

We've been using our Kobe hood for 5 years now. It's 30 inch either 600 or 720 CFm, I forget which. We love it. It's quiet in the lowest setting which is plenty strong. Sometimes we forget it's even on. We occasionally go higher when needed and there's plenty of power. It's very easy to clean and the baffles go into the dw. Just recently, I noticed the power button takes more than one try sometimes, but not a big deal. We cook a lot in long batches. I would get the Kobe again if I have to do it over.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We have the CHX191 30 in hood, probably one model before the current one out (bought on sale a year ago Christmas). So far we love it! It's been installed for about 8 months. Very quiet, vents great, and we have had no problems.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

We've had the RA9436SQB for three years and have been very happy with it. I think it's similar to the model you're looking at, except that it's a chimney hood.

I'd say:
    - seems to ventilate well (though we didn't have a hood before so no basis for comparison)
    - No quality issues to date
    - The LEDs are great! We actually have a burnt out overhead bulb that I haven't gotten around to ordering a replacement for yet, and have been using the hood lights as our primary lighting in that section of our kitchen for several weeks. It's a remarkable amount of light (so much that I keep forgetting to order the bulb...d'oh!)
    - Very easy to clean--ours has the baffle filters and they just go in the dishwasher. The hood itself has few nooks and crannies so it's easy to wipe down.
    - Seems plenty quiet except on the highest setting, but that seems reasonable.

HTH! We would buy the Kobe again happily.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I want to replace my Broan with a Kobe.
    I wish I had been on GW before I ordered the Broan. I also had the CFM issues that I was trying to avoid

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Gnocchinow, which hood did you end up picking?

• Justine Reese
    8 years ago

We have this hood and love it but the hallogen bulb burnt out and i cannot figure out how to replace it. specificibex, could i ask you to explain how you did it?

• Mary Leddy
    4 years ago

I love my Kobe 36” hood with baffles, but we’ve had it 4 years, and the lights just started giving us issues: first one light would be dim or out, then the other. Right now they both are just tiny pinpoints of light that we can only see if all the kitchen lights are out. How does one replace the bulbs?

• Mary Leddy
    4 years ago

Also, the control button for the fan has been a bit wonky; some days it’s fine, but most days it won’t work right away and requires several taps to get the fan started or increased/ decreased. Is it possible that the assembly for the power panel needs to be cleaned?

• artemis78
    4 years ago

Not sure about the control button issue, but the light bulbs can be pried out (manual has instructions) and after you've done it once, it's not too bad to repeat. Ours did start flickering before going fully out (though after more like 8 years--but we don't use the lights that often!) It's probably worth checking the contacts to make sure you don't have grease or dust causing the problems, too.