Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

What should I fill two 6" slots with?

front
10 years ago

I'm going with Schuler cabinets. There are two options for the deluxe kitchen hood. I want to center it with my stove. There will be either a 3" space or 6" space on both sides depending if I go with a 30" or 36" kitchen hood.

What can I add to the 6" or 3" space? Would a spice rack on both sides be a good option? The wall cabinets are only 12" deep.

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago

Add to the adjacent cabs. Small cabinets are horribly expenive with limited utility.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

You need to design those spaces away.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem is that I have a diagonal corner cabinet. The designer could not extend it out further to reach the corner. I may be able to get a 42" kitchen hood, but it may be overkill. I only have a 30" stove.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

So it will be a very expensive spice rack! Will the interior actually be 6" (meaning you could put in some kind of pullout rack that fills 6") or will it actually be only 4-1/2" (in which case the pullout will probably only be 3" unless you have one custom made?). We were faced with that problem in a lower cabinet and ended up just putting our extendable towel rack in there but that won't work for an upper).

• User
    10 years ago

You have more issues than 6'' cabinets. Diagonal corner cabinets have to be further away from a deeper wall cabinet like a range hood or they won't open. And your KD should know this. You may not have the space for the hood entirely without different design decisions. You certainly need someone who knows how to design a kitchen here that you can actually use the cabinets in it.

Post your layou for more help.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

hollysprings, I'm trying to envision why a corner cabinet won't open if it has what is essentially 6" of straight filler next to it (?)

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

I had a situation where I had two ~6" spaces in the budget kitchen remodel of a duplex where I couldn't design them away since I was installing used cabinets I got from a friend, and there only were a limited number of cabinets to work with.

The solution I used for one of them was a 6" wide spice pullout filler cabinet that fills in the space between two cabinets, and pulls out giving you 3 adjustable spice shelves.

On the other side of the kitchen the space was more like 7 1/2" and I filled it with a pvc wine rack.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Maybe vertical storage for cookie sheets?

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I attached a floor plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: floor plan

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hollysprings

Does the floor plan look like it will allow for the door to open? The 3d view looks like it should be ok, but I don't know how accurate those are.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Honestly, you're going to have issues with that configuration. The inside leg of any U is never straight or plumb enough to do a cabinet run there without a filler to account for that. Also, what are your ceiling heights? 96"? yet it shows crown molding and a 42" corner cabinet. That can't happen. Plus, there's no room for the crown to die into the wall on the 2730, and it's height doesn't match the 2736 on the other leg next to the corner cabinet.

It's a poor design, and done by someone who doesn't understand kitchen design.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I would post a layout of your space and let the wonderful and talented people here help you design a functional kitchen. I just took a peak your proposed layout and think its a do over.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

To get help you need to post the layout of your space showing connecting rooms, etc. What your needs are etc.

Start out with just graph paper and a sharpie. Start a new thread with this. just trying to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: new to kitchens thread

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The angled cabinet is not good. I agree with reworking your design. That may sound harsh and you may not want to hear it, but it is much better to spend some time working on paper and avoiding problems on installation or after they leave and you try to live with it. It is too much mess and money not to take your time and do it right.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Only half of the layout shows up, but what I can see definitely needs work. Not only are the uppers wonky, but the base corner to the left of the range is confusing. How would one get to the 9" leg beside the range? It makes a lot more sense to move the range over to the right, so a 36" Super Susan fits in the corner.

I had diagonal uppers in my old kitchen, and hated them. Now I have 2 easy-reach cabs, and they are so much more functional! Even a blind corner would make more sense.

A 12" cab over the fridge is pretty useless (I had one of those too). You need a chair to get to it, and we had a tendency to put stuff on top of the fridge, which had to be moved to get to the cabinet. A full-depth cab can be used for tray storage, or larger items. Even pulling a 12" cab forward and sacrificing the space behind is more functional.

Front, it probably sounds like we're picking on you - no, we're picking on the Lowes employee that drew this up for you. The knowledgeable and generous folks here can help you design a fabulous kitchen, if you sketch up a layout of your kitchen in relation to the rest of the house (with dimensions, if possible). Tell us what you love and hate about your current kitchen, and what your wishes are for a new kitchen.

Good luck!

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

live wire

Thanks for the help. My hands are kind of tied as I'm going with a Lowes designer. I tried 3 and she seemed to be the best out of them. Can you eloborate on the inside corner needing a filler? I'm a newb at this.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. This is a great site. I'll post my layouts and see if you guys can help me with it.

I forgot to mention that the room has a cathedral ceiling. I may end up going with 30" cabinets, however.

The 9" cabinet to the left of the range is a square corner cabinet. I was trying to align the range with the sink on the other side.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I didn't use a kitchen designer (I planned my own, and had a local cabinet maker build it), but it seems to me that you should be able to come in with a decent layout, and have the Lowes person help you get the pieces you need to make it work, or suggest a cabinet line that has what you want. It's your money - you certainly do not need to accept a poorly designed kitchen, just because that's the best Lowes can do. Even without seeing the whole layout, the problems are enormous. It would not be very functional, or very pretty.

Why is Lowes your only option?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I went with lowes after getting eight different estimates. Shenandoah gave me the best value BUT I went in with an exact layout.

First get your layout set then go and get estimates from lowes and other places.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have 12k in gift cards, so I'm stuck with Lowes. I started a new thread. Thanks again for all the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout thread

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

12 k in gift cards. Understood. There are options at Lowes though and again you can come in with your layout already done and just have it priced out with the different brands.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I'll bet I could spend 12K at Lowes without buying cabinets!

Appliances, flooring, lighting, paint...

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did not receive any responses in the other thread. I don't think there is anything I can do for the overall layout. Can someone please help with tweaking the Lowes design.

annkh
    I have thought about enclosing the fridge. There are some constraints with the trim in the door way. I would probably need to go with just plywood ends. It also seems like it would be close to the diagonal cabinet. It may look a little cramped.