Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry74_gw

Has anyone used ready to assemble (RTA) Kitchen cabinets

sherry74
14 years ago

My husband and I are contemplating a kitchen remodel. We have a detailed plan that would greatly improve the functionality of our kitchen.

We can use standard cabinet sizes. I did some research on the web and came across several sites that sell RTA cabinets.

These cabinets have 3/4 inch plywood veneer boxes and solid wood doors. No MDF or particle board, soft close drawer glides and dovetail joints. These cabinets sound like a great deal and perfect for DIYers.

I have even seen these cabinets used for kitchen remodels on the DIY network. One thing I can't find is any independent reviews for RTA cabinets on the web.

Has anyone used RTA (other than Ikea) cabinets and what was your experience with them?

Comments (20)

• bedfordfred
    14 years ago

I purchased and assembled RTA cabinets. Yes, they're made in China, but the cost was about half the price of comparable mid-line cabinets from Lowes/HD. Plywood cases, solid dovetail soft-close drawers. Got 19 cabinets plus accessories for $3,800 delivered from http://www.rtacabi.net

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I ordered my cabinets unassembled/unfinished from Conestoga, and got a fairly customized look, mainly because I'm a preservation carpenter, and I know what to do. The design stage was almost as critical as the assembly and finishing.

Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Conestoga online catalog

• clg7067
    14 years ago

I ordered one wall of cabinets from Scherr's unfinished and installed them myself. I will be buying the rest of my cabinets from them also, when I get around to the rest of the kitchen, so I can get the exact sizes I need.

• spinmomnj
    14 years ago

I have friends that have used instockkitchens.com but they went to the showroom, there is one in NJ and PA that I know of. They were very happy with the product.

• korney19
    14 years ago

I've been comparing prices in-depth for the last year and will either use RTA or build the carcasses and order custom doors.

I wish more RTA styles had 15'' wide by 90'' tall pantries--18's are much more common but I think 15's would give me more flexibility with other cabinets on the same wall/layout.

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

Connestoga does custom sizes. There are a number of places that sell them.

• korney19
    14 years ago

Are they RTA? I thought I looked at there pdf files and I thought their prices were much higher than many RTA places. No?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I just checked the Conestoga catalog for you; they have 15w x 24d x 90h cabinets, in a configuration with a smaller upper door or a smaller lower door. They have the same in 12" deep, too.
    Casey

• korney19
    14 years ago

Thanks Casey. What kind of prices on 152490 pantry and say a DB21 3-drawer base or a W3618? I'm looking for the Sheldon door style in hickory, birch or hard maple, in that order.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

I just looked at conestoga and it says the prices will not be honored for sales to homeowners. Does anyone have more info on this?

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

debrak, do you know anyone in the trade? I found that having a detailed design plan and someone in the trade on hand as a back up when getting an estimate goes a long way. I am pretty close to placing my order from Conestoga. I have been dealing with Chad from cabinetmakerschoice.com and he has been wonderful.As a woman I often assume many companies do not like dealing with "little women" so I always try to be as prepared as possible so I don't have to listen to a bunch of malarkey. I did change my mullions and a drawer though and it has been smooth sailing so far, the communication has been exceptional.

• ag1414
    13 years ago

I ordered my cabinets from Conestoga and I am not a contractor. I love my new cabinets!

• overlyoptimistic
    13 years ago

I used Scherrs in our kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Would use them again in a heartbeat.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Above our carport we have an apartment that we rent out. We bought the wood RTA's from Lowe's and seriously, my husband and I were surprised by them. Super easy to assemble and very solid. And cheap!

Sometimes I second guess myself as to whether or not I should have gone RTA and save a bunch of money. But...with the amount of water thrown around my kitchen, I wanted to get a more serious finish.

That being said, I know the finish on Conestoga doors is serious.

I definitely wouldn't rule out RTA.

• dodge360
    13 years ago

I have been considering rtacabi.net cabinets for my new kitchen - bedfordfred if you see this post what door style your cabinets are - I am looking at both of their shaker doors but unsure about color representation on their site.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Dodge360, I ordered the Conestoga RTAÂs. I can not tell you how impressed I am with the finishes, drawer construction and allÂfar exceeded quality expectations and is right up there with high end cabinetry at a fraction of the cost.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20picks/?action=view&current=p1010144-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• nishka
    13 years ago

I considered using them, and even ordered sample doors from instockcabinets.com. They looked like very good quality doors to me. They were solid. The finish was smooth and even. I liked them.

I didn't see a reason not to use them until my husband forced me to call contractors and cabinet makers for more estimates since he saw himself getting stuck doing most of the work. To my surprise we found a cabinet maker who gave us a very, very reasonable and competitive offer on beautiful semi-custom made cherry cabinets. (they are here and ready to be hung next week)

The cost of the RTA cabinets for our kitchen would have been around $7700 and that didn't include the custom trim work and roll outs I wanted. The cost for the cabinets from the cabinet maker we selected was $8000, custom trim, roll outs and all. This is $9000 less than Home Depot's estimate for Thomasville using a furniture board box instead of plywood.

The morale to this story is get estimates from everyone even if you think you can't afford custom or semi custom. We live in Atlanta and the housing and construction market here is in the gutter. Contractors need business and we found they have reduced their labor cost by half over the last 5 years making what used to be out of reach affordable now.

As soon as our kitchen renovation is completed, hopefully in about 3 more weeks, I will post my before, after and the total cost of everything.

• nathan_rtacabinetshop_com
    12 years ago

Anyone who hasn't tried RTA and is thinking about it?
    Don't hesitate.

Assembly is very easy and prices range near half of what you would pay at Lowe's or Home Depot for inferior products.

Ironically enough... Our website is currently being remodeled itself but should be fully functional later this week.

Best Regards,
    Nathan

Here is a link that might be useful: RTACabinetShop.com

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH