Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Progress Report (lots of Pics) and Important Questions!

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

I am nearing the end of Week 2. This is how we started out (cute but yucky):

Demolition

The most exciting thing to me so far - the radiator pipes are in the wall! The gas pipes are next to the wall! The stove will no longer stick out nearly a foot! I won't be able to see behind it ! Most exciting!

Before and after:

{{!gwi}}

Cabinets sat in the hallway for a week, usually with other stuff piled up as well. Photo taken on front porch, looking through house (it's small)

Now with cabinets installed. SORRY! Please just click on photo to see right-side-up version. I can't figure out what's wrong. (Every once in a while, this happens: they are fine on my computer and in photobucket but turn up weird when I send them somewhere - aargh!)

If you've suffered through all these pictures, here are the Very Important Questions for today.

1. I've been encouraged to do a soapstone backsplash (letting DH make a decision). How much should I specify? 3 or 4 inches? I was worried boxing in the space, but the counter guy says he can make it thinner so it won't be so "heavy looking". What do you think?

2. I think I've decided on BM Catalina Blue. Doesn't come in samples, so I'll have to buy a quart. What color would be good for the ceiling and trim. a bright white? The cabinets are not as creamy as I expected.

3. After the ceiling gets painted, they will put up the trim and crown moulding. My contractor has suggested putting the crown moulding above the windows between the cabinets. I'd appreciate some opinions on this. My usual reaction is to say no to anything too fussy or crowded looking.

Thank you for reading!

Maureen

Comments (34)

• sailinggal
    15 years ago

Excellent progress! It looks really neat. I have a couple of suggestions for you.

RE #1. Soapstone backsplash - I did 4" all the way around. My space is a little larger than yours, but I think it looks really neat. It's the same thickness as the counters. Behind my sink, where I'd originally anticipated having almost 13" of backsplash (all the way up to the window frame, which is higher than yours), is about 6". I didn't find that out until they came and installed, but in the end I prefer it. FWIW, I will paint the walls except for behind my range, which will be something but DH and I are still arguing about it.

RE #3, crown molding. We have it all the way around, and it looks great, nice and finished. Above our sink our cabinet maker built a "box" just above the window frame, into which we put our recessed can lights. I'd suggest the crown molding.

If you want, I can try and take pictures of my kitchen tonight for you (I've been terrible lax about that)

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Oh sailingal, the box with the light is a great idea for over that bit of counter. One recessed fixture in the boxed are would be really spiffy.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why are my last two pictures right-side up now? I spent over half an hour fooling with them this morning!

The counter guy came early and suggested a 3-inch backsplash. He offered to cut it in half to make it thinner against the wall, as the soapstone is 1-1/2" thick and I have three prominent cabinet sides.

Sailinggal -I think it will be fine either way; I'm just stressing. Is your kitchen small? I was worried about putting too much moulding in a small space, especially since there's fairly wide moulding around both widows.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Maureen,

I had the same dilemma with my kitchen window. One is between cabinets just like yours. The other is open to the dining room on one side, so I will put crown molding there that will continue logically into the DR. But for over the sink, I ended up buying a sign that fits that space perfectly, and now I don't need the crown molding. If you don't end up doing some kind of valance, maybe a decorative piece will also solve your problem?

• sailinggal
    15 years ago

I'll try to take some pictures and post them tonight, it will make more sense to show you how the above-the-window section ended up. My window is actually 2 double-hung windows smaller than yours, side-by-side, but is higher on the wall (as in, there's only about 4 inches between the top of the window frame and the ceiling)

The entire kitchen space is now about 13x19. One end is a traffic area into the family room and a laundry room, so my WORKING kitchen area is more like 13x16.

For what it's worth, I posted my photobucket pictures for you to see what it used to look like and some of my demo pictures. Haven't uploaded any of the progress pictures!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sailing Gal's kitchen project

• morton5
    15 years ago

Hi, Maureen-
    Wow, what a difference! It really is going to be great. I would run the molding over the window. If you can do the boxed light sailing gal suggests that would be great.

What did you end up doing with that radiator to the left of the sink? And the cab in front of the window gets moved to the right of the sink, yes?

• slateberry
    15 years ago

Lovely progress!

I thought hard about the crown. My initial reaction was to not have it over the window, but looking again, I'm firmly on the fence. I think that if the window were any higher, I'd say definitely no crown, but I think you will succeed either way. Also, how much is it per foot? You might be able to try it, then switch to without if you don't like it.

Save your old fan. You can sell it (or give it away). Either way you will make a retro renovation person VERY happy.

• kitch_n_kat
    15 years ago

Hi~ I think you should keep the kitchen window w/out extra molding....hard to beat authentic charm! The simplicity is a good fit for your CHARMING home and will help the "new" kitchen flows w/ the the rest of the home. I would suggest trying not hang anything there either...the empty space is peaceful and editing is the key to design. A simple retro/modern pendant light - would be a thought - and would not be another box.

On Country Living's website there is a photo gallery of remodeled kitchens....and a photo of a kitchen w/ soapstone counters that continued up the backsplash a few inches, but behind the sink it went up a foot or more (maybe to a window)...loved it...was charming yet modern...like your kitchen! Thanks for opportunity to chime in...and forget my own detail dilemmas!

• natal
    15 years ago

I love the transformation so far!

We've slowly added crown to most rooms in our house. Same goes for the remodeled kitchen and keeping room. It continues from the cabinets over the window. I think it would have looked strange to not include it there.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I am still on the fence about the moulding - I think it will be OK either way. I don't think I have enough of it to put all around the room (over the three doors and the cabinets in the refrigerator corner).

Ah, yes, the cabinet in front of the window. That's the way it is. I have seen other old houses with counters done this way. I would have preferred a new window to match the other one, but the costs of this project were higher than expected (of course!)

The DW will go next to the sink. My contractor going to install my portable DW, not sure how it will work out.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh - the radiator is in my backyard! I hope they take it away sometime.

They are looking for a flat wall-hung radiator for me. Or they may build me a cabinet filled with stacked baseboard heaters. Ever heard of such a thing?

• pcjs
    15 years ago

We did 3 inch for the granite and I prefer it - 4 inch seemed to big and if you want to put tile up later, it seemed like a better choice to me, but either way, you can't go wrong. :) Love the new kitchen!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Maureen it looks great and is moving fast. It looks like the moulding might be pretty substantial (how much of the space over the cabs is trim versus moulding?) and if memory serves you were thinking of doing a pendant over the sink (is that right?). Don't think you can go wrong either way but I think the room will feel taller without the moulding. If you are having a pendant there (or even a semi-flush) and say you add a nice very simple box pleat valance (which without the moulding you could hang a little above above the window to make it look taller) that would be enough for that space. Also you don't have a lot of wall it could be a good spot to let your wall colour grab some attention. You weren't going to have a backsplash so I would go with the set on soapstone if he can shave the depth. I find the eliminating that ledge does open up that space between the counters and cabinets but I do think you want something besides paint where the walls meet your counters.

My Mom used BM Cloud White for the trim in her unit and the ceiling in the kitchen. It is much more white than her Antique White cabinets. Her cabinets have a sort of eggshell level sheen while we went flat with ceiling. Big difference to your layout is that the cabinetry and moulding never meets the ceiling in her kitchen. My guess is your best bet is to take in a door and have them colour match the paint to the cabinetry for the ceiling. I would just carry the trim colour through the adjoining rooms into the kitchen.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Enjoying the progression! How exciting! GOOD JOB!
    Can't wait to see more!

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So questions 1 and 3 have been decided - No extra moulding, it just seems too fussy and I don't have it anywhere else in the house except above the fireplace and flanking built-in bookshelves in living room.

I tried some of the BM Catalina Blue paint on the walls and I think I'll really like it.

I'm going to pick up some Cloud White for the trim today, because everyone seems to love it. I can't take a door with me because the cabinets are encased in plastic and covered in plaster and drywall dust. (as is my whole house) The trim in the rest of the house is fairly bright white even though it was lasted painted a long time ago.

I just worry about the color being too different (or not different enough) from the cabinet color. Will the blue paint help the colors harmonize or accentuate the difference?

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

OK it sounds like you've decided, but I just want to say re: the molding: sometimes in a small space when things are visually broken up with color, etc. having a molding that unites the space makes it look less crowded, rather than more crowded. So I'd reconsider. That space between the cabinets is crying out for some uniting factor, either molding, a nice valence, the boxed-recessed-light, etc. You have time to figure this out, I'd suggest waiting until the walls are painted and the cabs are up, then either test drive a piece of trim the same color as the cabs, or have some nice Gwebber photoshop you in some crown molding. It'll still be an option at that point, and you'll have a better perspective once the flurry of cab install is over. The trim work will take weeks to finish, trust me. It's the last 5% that takes weeks.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I'd be hesitant to go bright white against the cabinets. It can do ugly things to off-white cabinets. I know the cab doors are unreachable, but is there any spare trim around that you can take w you? Good luck.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Maureen, if you can tell me what color the cabs are.....closest match to a BM color...I can help with trim color. It's all looking great! :)

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Amysrq - Thanks for your kind offer. I couldn't get to the paint store today (sick child) and can only make the one trip tonight because she is painting tomorrow.

So I had to use the paint chips I already had around the house. My light, but very creamy cabinets look very much like a chip of Cloud White (OC-130) that is in a brochure that's quite a few years old. In Caryscotts's picture, it looks very bright white. Which is it really?

Evilbunnie - good advice, so much to think about. I'm trying not to stress too much. This is an old house where everything's "off" anyway. I hope your reno is going well!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

How's the painting/countertop portion progressing?

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's going very well, thanks for asking abbeycat!

Here's a newer picture:

The trim and crown moulding have gone up. (not above windows, I decided that was too fussy). I like the thinner soapstone backsplash, and the BM Cloud White trim looks fine.

Now I am waiting for: side panels on the cabinets, a dishwasher, additional painting, and the floor needs more work.

I am currently shopping for drawer inserts, etc. The main decision left to make is about curtains. I was going to make very simple valances (inside window trim) from this old tablecloth (in picture stuffed above window). I'd like some color there since the room looks a little severe for my taste (and I really like florals) but this pattern may be a little wild and the blues don't exactly match.

I bought a red microwave that's on the wall opposite this view, I'm not sure what possessed me to do that. It was very cheap and it makes a horrible sound but we rarely use it thank goodness.

• megradek
    15 years ago

it's looking great! the counters and the little backsplash are perfect!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Omigod -- that valance is so freakin' fabulous! When I saw the picture I could not take my eyes off your valance -- not only do I love the pattern, it just feels so "right" given everything I've read / seen of your delightful home.

And then I read your comment about it, worrying it would be too much or the blues don't match. Listen, for me the blues would have to give off mutagens for me to not include that fabulous textile in my kitchen! Love love love it.

I have a somewhat similarly colored kitchen (white cabs) and I hear you about the color (or lack of) feeling a little severe. I still feel that way (about my kitchen), so some children's artwork has been put up on the cupboard doors -- some way for me to get color and pattern in a non-permanent way.

But I am coveting like mad that tablecloth. It is so yummy!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

LOVE IT! Great job so far!

• berf
    15 years ago

Oh wow---it's looking terrific. I really really like the color on the walls. Catalina Blue, right? The valance is fabulous--keep it definitely.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Maureen,

It is really looking great. Such nice simple clean lines. Very dramatic difference from your previous kitchen but I think once you get in it won't feel severe. I love that tablecloth for the valances and pops of red will look great in the space. The accessorizing part is kind of fun (can be a bit hit or miss though). Congratulations. How's the budget? On target I hope (I know you were a little concerened).

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Your faucet looks so pretty : ) Which one did you decide on & also which sink did you choose?
    What a gem of a kitchen you have : )

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Wow--looks so good! It's cosy, and I bet it will be a dream to work in it. I like the old timey look of the pendant over the sink, and I agree that the vintage fabric looks great!

We used a similar palette in our guest house (painted the cabs; laminate countertops), and I love how calm it feels.

You've really got a winner here!

• Maria410
    15 years ago

Maureen -- love the kitchen and the house looks a little like mine. Regarding the radiator. We have a very small radiator (20" h x 14" w x 4" d) in a 9" cabinet (bottom removed) with metal sheeting instead of doors and side panels. The cabinet is at the end of the run and instead of a side panel it has a door (to access the radiator) with metal sheeting in it. That little radiator is very powerful and keeps the room toasty. I am planning on redoing the kitchen in a few weeks and my contractor is using the same set up with the new cabinets. The only downside is the cabinet next to it needs to have stuff in it that can withstand the heat. I have trays and boards in that cabinet. I suppose you could put some type of rigid insulation in between the two cabinets.

If you need photos, let me know and I will get them taken this weekend.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

rm - I love this tablecloth too, but DH pronounced it "garish" so I needed some backup. Seems a shame to cut it tho'

caryscott - of course the budget was blown. We were thinking about 25k and it will be closer to 40k. But the excess went not on fun things (note the old appliances) but on asbestos removal, heating, electrical, etc. The cabinets themselves we less than 9k, the countertop installed with sink about $3400. So this is really a budget kitchen, but required a lot of labor.

laurie - The faucet is Elkay Victorian, the sink a single bowl 10" deep Suneli. I didn't really choose the sink, the soapstone guy seems to have provided it for free? My GC showed me the bill and there is no mention of a sink. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know what was going on here!

Maria - it sounds like what you have is similar to what I used to have, but much of the heat from my radiator was trapped in the corner. My heating guy spent an entire day making this:

and one of the carpenters made this

There should be lots of heat coming from the bathroom (behind kitchen), so I hope this will be OK.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing? We were looking at a european-style flat panel radiator but it was hard to find one for this space and they are very expensive.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Gah--A budget kitchen for 40K! That's so funny/sad/crazy. It describes our experience too. Our cabs were less than 9k, the appliances (Kenmore fridge, DW & range, Broan hood) were around 4k; new (pella) fixed windows were around $1200, countertops (laminate) less than 1k...but the kicker was the electrical and plumbing. Labor was 18K. That included all demo construction & installations--but still! Bringing water and wastewater pipes in from the adjacent (former kitchen) room cost a RIDICULOUS amount of money. And now that the exterior sheathing for the windows is warping/shrinking (plastic lumber), we can't even get a hold of the GC. His company may have bitten the dust. Sigh. Back to trusty handyman who at least will do it right.

There is always something to limit our spending on fun stuff!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Thought I recognized your faucet...mine's an Elkay Victoria, also : )

• Maria410
    15 years ago

Maureen -- that looks like it should work. We have some pipes in the back hall that we had boxed in. They still warm the hall though. On the second floor the heat from them causes havoc with the second floor thermostat, which is a good 14 feet away from the pipes. Our radiator is at the end of the counter run so it works well. When the oven is on; the kitchen gets way too warm.

OT -- I see you are in Maryland. I lived in Annapolis for 10 years. Miss it like crazy, particularly the Chesapeake Bay. Hope to get back there some day. In NJ at the moment.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Sorry to have brought it up Maureen. Not happy news but for the improvements your getting not an unreasonable price tag (I know a lot of asbestos isn't dangerous if it is contained but it is probably nice to know it's gone). Older homes are such an adventure, I've just started working on a kitchen in a 50's row house for a friend and I am petrified of the trouble we are going to find when it comes time to do the work.