Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

Live_Wire...ques about stain

CallMeJane
11 years ago

Hi,

I finally got my porchswing with the ebony glaze on it. It def looks darker without being as dark as the sepia. If it were a hair lighter, that would be perfect!
My questions for you, if you dont mind:
1) The sample door without the glaze I have is a cherry and looks lighter than the display in the store. I like the store display better. My KD said that cherry does tend to darken with UV light over the years, but wasnt sure if porchswing would allow that. While I dont have direct light in the kitchen, the breakfast does have 14ft windows. Do you think this stain will darken a bit?
2) Im wanting to spend more on countertops, so in efforts to cut costs, if I were to get the ebony glaze on oak would you be able to see the grain pattern on the regular oak? I know my KD would want to order another door, and I already have 4 and really dont want more.
If it darkens, Im thinking of just sticking with the PS on cherry without the glaze.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (6)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Oh yes, it darkens. All cherry darkens. In the month since the display has been here, it's "richened" up considerably.

Yes, the grain pattern of oak will be seen with the Porch Swing. But, I find that attractive. Especially with quartersawn. YMMV. But, quartersawn oak will be about the same upgrade $ as cherry.

There's also the option of the Brushed Ebony over Oyster or Pearl, but that's an opaque finish, not a stain. It does give the appearance of "grain" because of the brushing, but if that's not what you want, that's not what you want.

Let me see if I can get some pics of the different choices for you. Some of it, all I have are the small samples. We're also redoing the showroom lighting for less glare, but that's not going to help the current pics.

If I were on a budget, and I were OK with an opaque finish, I'd "downgrade" to the Kemper/Diamond/Schrock/Thomasville (same cabs, different names) and look at their new Cloud finish. It's an opaque that is a medium lightish gray. I saw it at training at the plant last week, but I don't currently have a sample for you. Your dealer might though. My company only charges 5% to take the standard furniture board construction to all plywood. With that upgrade, you would be 90% of the way to Dynasty. 1/2" sides instead of 3/4", but 3/4" is total overkill for framed cabinets as far as being more durable. Even the 3/8 furniture board in most bulder grade cabinets will withstand years of hard use just fine.

I'll post back later this afternoon with pics if I can.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Porch Swing on Quarter Sawn Oak. You can see that it accents the grain nicely. I LOVE quarter sawn oak.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Quartersawn Oak with Porch Swing, Brushed Sepia. This sorta gives the look of cerused oak, which is really hot in design world right now.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Oyster paint, Brushed Ebony treatment. Still has a wood grainy appearance, doesn't it?

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Here's the Cloud, with Amaretto Cream Glaze from the website.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to post such pictures. I didnt realize a paint could get that wood grain look. That was the whole reason behind going with a stain to begin with. It is odd though, the sepia brush my KD has here is SOO dark, like really it looks like a black cabinet with a few strands of lighter wood in between....really HEAVY brush strokes.
    I did like the display without glaze, and if it will get warmer, cant ask for more.
    At this point, I feel Im so invested in Dynasty, starting over would be too much for me...even with the savings.
    Btw, I was thinking about Taj Mahal as a countertop....you thoughts??
    Thanks again.