Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwalen_gw

Small U shaped Kitchen layout, take 2

cwalen
11 years ago

Met with another KD this weekend. This plan is better to me than the first.

To recap, we have a 12x10 kitchen that we cannot open up to adjoining sunroom because of once-exterior brick walls, but are opening up one wall to the adjacent LR. Our dining room is off of the sunroom and not directly adjacent to kitchen. (Don't flame - its a 1936 cape cod. We cannot move the kitchen due to cost restraints, so the DR will have to remain two rooms away. I know, NOT optimal)

What I like:
1) the sink in the corner, allowing me to look into adjacent LR, as well as an expanded prep area between range and sink
2) DW in the peninsula (out of view). It is currently to the right of the back window which is odd for me as is to the left of the current sink. I am right handed.
3) peninsula. I wanted an island but my space won't allow it. So a peninsula is the next best thing, allowing room for the kids to have a quick snack, do crafts/homework while being in the kitchen while I am cooking/prepping/baking

What I'm not sure about:
1) fridge placement. I like that its outside the U, but would like to talk to contractor about recessing it a bit more, allowing more walkway. The layout doesn't show it but KD allowed for 3' clearance with fridge doors shut.

THOUGHTS? Criticism?

Comments (15)

• tallytomatoe
    11 years ago

The one thing I noticed was the sharp corner directly in front of the sink. You might want to flatten that out.

• cwalen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The sharp corner was a glitch in the 20/20 software. We won't have that point in the countertop. It just rendered that way on the screen.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would do a piecut cabinet that turned the corner rather than a diagonal upper

The way the uppers to the left inpinge on the window bothers me a bit, and that skinny cabinet won't be very useful. I would probably do a conventional range hood (more effective than OTR microwave) and rework that area a bit. If you used a countertop microwave it could be placed in the back corner.

With a conventional range hood you could do a single cabinet across the top of the range and mount the hood underneath in the proper position.

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I would still move the sink to under one of the windows, and put a slide in range where the dishwasher is and make the peninsula a bit deeper there. The corner sink looks very awkward to me there. It also doesn't look like an efficient layout to work in with the sink being so far away from the range.

• cwalen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Palimpsest,

I hate a microwave on the countertop. We have that now, and I loathe it! I want to get it up off the counter.

Hmmm, let me look to see how a piecut looks instead. I am not particularly fond of the diag upper, but I thought piecuts were less useful?

I was thinking the 9" would be ok for spices but maybe that is too small?

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I would still move the sink to under one of the windows, and put a slide in range with ceiling hood or downdraft one where the dishwasher is and make the peninsula a bit deeper there. The corner sink looks very awkward to me there. It also doesn't look like an efficient layout to work in with the sink being so far away from the range.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I missed the first design, and do not have real design chops. However, it seems to me that your sink and range are too far away from one another. Also, I would put the sink under a window and not in the corner.

• cwalen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posting first design below. After reconsideration, we did not like the fridge location.

Perhaps I will ask my KD to redraw design 2 so the kitchen is back under the window but the DW remains on the peninsula.

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

The fridge location in the OP is exactly like mine, across from the peninsula. I find it extremely convenient as a drop zone. What is your aisle width there? I have 46.5" from fridge door to counter edge, and DH can open the doors to look for something and another family member can still get by. That is with a french door fridge.

I think this plan is just fine if you moved the sink under the window, and kept the DW where you have it. It just seems that a corner sink (as the only sink, I have a corner prep sink) is not the most comfortable if not absolutely necessary.

I also agree with the 90* angle in the upper cabinet in the corner to match the lower. But, that is just a looks preference - plus I'm short and never get to things in the backs of those deep uppers.

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I would open the whole thing up and then you can have a small island. You can also put a slide in range in the island and make it more square and also place your microwave there. Then move your fridge to where the range is now.

• cwalen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blondelle,

LOVE this. I didn't think an island was possible. How big would that island be and how much clearance?

I really would prefer no cooktop on the island, but more of a landing space/prep space/quick meal or snack place.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

You probably hate to lose a window, but would something like this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Houzz kitchen

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest that--fridge in upper left corner.

However, no need to lose the window. Put the range in front of it with an island hood.

• decolisa
    11 years ago

My old kitchen was about the same size as yours, 11.5 X 10, and it had almost the exact same walk-through path as your original drawings. I really disliked this, and I always felt too closed in; I also found it hard to work in the kitchen with a second person either walking through or trying to help.

I would strongly urge you to consider Blondelle's version (which it seems you like). I think that version is just more functional and helps keep people out of your way when you're cooking,

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I think it's about 60" or 5' going by the scale of the cabinet depth which is 24". It should be a bit smaller for more clearance, maybe 50". If you had it at 60" you could chop the two corners off for more clearance or round the edges. It can be made to work. I think the minimum space is 42' clearance but maybe someone who knows could help. Even if a little smaller it should fit at least 2 stools there. I also think the sink should be on the wall with the range, under the window there.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida