Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeysucklevine_gw

Vote! Wheat or clear alzak?

honeysucklevine
14 years ago

Wheat or clear alzak?

Does wheat alzak affect colors in the room and is that bad or good?

(I plan on either copper or brass, wood, and possibly marble).

Comments (25)

• latimore
    14 years ago

Wheat - on the recommendation of my friend, a lighting designer. It disappears into the ceiling better and reflects a warm light.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Wheat Haze. Did you see the thread from Remodelfla about this? In that thread someone posted photos of before/during/after of installing them. The wheat haze makes the light source disappear and you just see a pool of light.

Here is a link, not sure if it will work. The poster said to scroll down half way for the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll 1/2 way down for pic of lights

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone found that wheat changes the paint and cabinet colors?

• jmc2009
    14 years ago

I saw both at a lighting showroom yesterday and was really impressed with the wheat. The difference is subtle. There were no cabinets around, so I can't comment on color change, but I thought the wheat would be a better match for our color scheme (warm tones). And I agree with beekeeperswife - the thread that she linked to is really helpful. After reading the thread and seeing them in person, I'll be going with the wheat haze.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a really helpful thread.

I am going to go with wheat.

Does anyone know if the Alzak trims will fit a cheaper can than Juno? When I talked to the lighting stores they just said to buy a bunch and try it on, which is the next step.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Wow that link that beekeeper gave was amazing.
    I would go wit Wheat.

• jmc2009
    14 years ago

honeysucklevine - I think your question may be answered in remodelfla's thread. This is my first time posting a link - hope it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Juno cans

• jmc2009
    14 years ago

Yay - it worked. Toward the bottom of the thread, needsometips08 mentions that she has combos, but that the combos only work with 6" cans. I think that whole thread was really informative (for me, anyway!).

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I think I need to actually buy some cheaper cans and buy the wheat trim and see if they fit.

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

Just an fyi, those are my before/after photos in the linked post so I feel compelled to point out that I used clear alzak, not wheat. I'm sure wheat will look wonderful, though.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chiefneil, thanks for pointing that out.

Do I need adjustable or straight down?

Is there a reliable online place to buy? They are special orders at the lighting stores.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

honeysucklevine -- once you figure out what is compatible with the juno trims, can you make sure and post it? Thanks, Rita

• svwillow1
    14 years ago

A few years ago we bought both the housings and the trims online with Laner Electric. We also bought dimmers and switch plates. Good service, no problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laner

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do I need shallow or deep cone?

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They don't sell the 4" at Laner. (Too bad).

The adjustable are much cheaper. Should I buy adjustable?

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Oooo--don't give me any credit for that link, that was on Remodelfla's thread the other day and I thought it was such an excellent example of the difference.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chielfneil's pretty non glare lights are clear alzak.

I'd love to hear if the wheat changes the paint and especially cabinet color.

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

We used Clear Alzak and love them! Very happy with the light they throw. If you search my User Name there should be pics (hopefully still there).

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: iceqween

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Indeed, I have 3 brands of cheap 6" cans in my ceiling (Halo, Utilitech, and some of the old existing ones).

And I have 6" clear alzak trims from Juno. They work together like a charm.

Here are photos - the sheetrock was just put up this afternoon:

Close up. You can see where the springs hook into:

Here it is in the ceiling. You can see it sits perfectly flush.

Here is my ceilng. Only ONE of the lights has the trim in and THE LIGHT IS ON. It's the one furthest back on the left. Compare that to the other 2 lights that are on without trims - the glowing orbs. That is what white baffles look like installed and on. I had white baffles first and returned them in favor of the alzak. The light slips off the reflective surface so easily that none of it retained in the can itself. (The blue ones you see are for pendants).

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No pictures of wheat yet. Does anyone have pictures of wheat installed?

Also, has anyone used cheaper 4" cans with juno alzak?

• phenie53
    10 years ago

I'm trying to decide between Juno Haze Alzak or Clear Alzak. If I understand this correctly, haze is a dull stainless color, and clear is a shiny chrome color. I tried wheat haze, but in my white kitchen with all the stainless appliances, it doesn't look as good. It functions great when on, but when off, it looks gold. Any opinions re Haze or Clear?

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've compared haze versus clear versus wheat haze. I preferred the haze of the three. They are exactly as you described them, soft stainless vs. shiny chrome. My husband preferred the wheat haze. I caved and went with the wheat haze. No regrets but I did prefer the haze.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I did black, but had I to do it over again I'd do wheat reflective.
    Casey

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling