Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen cabinet hinges

Posted by momoflandg (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 9:33

We just replaced our kitchen cabinet hardware with antique copper knobs/backplates. We currently have antique brass hinges. We were wanting to replace them with concealed hinges but found that they are demountable hinges with the t cut in the side of each door. I am wondering if the antique brass looks okay or if we should go with another color of demountable hinges or spray paint the hinges? Maybe ORB, since I haven't found the antique copper color hinge. Thoughts please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen cabinet hinges

Pretty cabinets!

If you can't change the hinges, I think I'd paint them.

however, with spray you're going to have to tape off the world.

Get the color metallic you want (Krylon makes great metallics, as does General Finishes). Clean your hinges with TSP. As best you can.
Take the spray paint and spray some in the top of the can and with a very small brush, paint them. Like you'd touch up a car, if you've ever done that.

Might take a little time, but it would be lovely.

o

I would paint them....but I would just take the doors down and remove the hinges from the doors and paint them separately....that way you don't run the risk of getting paint on the cabinets.

o

I am really more concerned with what color to choose for the hinges. Do I go Oil Rubbed Bronze with the hardware being Dark Brushed Antique Copper. If I am to get the Antique Copper look, it will take several steps to spray paint, too!

o

Any of these work?
copper hinges

o

I'd do ORB. By the way, I had those exact hinges on my cabinets at work and rather than buy all new I spray painted them. It's been a year and no one would ever know that they weren't always satin nickel.

o

Jakuvall - Unfortunately none of those hinges will work, since I need demountable hinges. Thanks though.

o

There is a product called Rub N Buff that will transform the color of metal. I used it on a frame before but I was also thinking of trying it on some cabinet knobs. I dont know how it would hold up to everyday use. Google images of Rub N Buff kitchen hinges. One woman said she sprayed the hinges with Glossy Clear Protectant Seal after the Rub N Buff as she did all of her kitchen hardware with it. It would be interesting to hear how this stuff is holding up over time. It is doing fine on the frame but that hangs on the wall and it is not something that you constantly touch.

o

door1!
I forgot about Rub n buff! That's stuff is fabulous.
Of course, you can take the doors off; I was being lazy. :)

I think since one pretty much never touches the hinges, either way would be fine. I'd just use a light touch when dusting.

Yeah! ORB or a hammered copper is my vote!
BTW. It's paint. Try both.

o

I will definitely try the Rub N Buff...going to go out tonight and get some. This may be my weekend project. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

o

Please post how they turn out.
I want to change my brass knobs in my kitchen and since I have open concept I will have to change out the entire downstairs of my house. That is 154 hinges so pretty expensive to change out. I have the same demountable hinges you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here