Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westtoeast

MIng Green Marble Backsplash?

westtoeast
12 years ago

I have fallen in love with Ming Green Marble for our kitchen backsplash. I like that it is fairly neutral, with just a touch of color. The problem is, that when I google images of it, I only come up with bathroom photos! Now I am getting nervous that it might not be a good choice for a kitchen. Should I go with something else that has a similar feel? I love the pale greens, blues, grey and whites. I will just be using the 3x6 tiles...not the other sizes.

FWIW, here are the rest of our materials:

Perimeter cabinets: Shaker style, painted BM Mascarpone (Creamy white) with Honed Absolute black counters

Island: Stained cherry (dark, but not quite espresso) with Costa Esmeralda counter

Floors: a lightish oak- which run through the whole house, very similar in color to the photo below.

Here is an inspiration photo...I realize this backsplash is not the Ming green...I'm just wondering if the ming green would work as a substitute?

traditional kitchen design by chicago design-build Normandy Remodeling

Comments (15)

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Go for it! I think it is very pretty and if you're in love with it, you will regret not using it. I thing it will tie in beautifully with the Costa Esmeralda and your other elements. Ignore that you're only seeing it in bathrooms.....it looks timeless and classic.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I love Ming Green. Its on my short list for my bathroom remodel
    that is next to my kitchen. I have a marble backsplash in my
    kitchen but in a whiteish tan mix. I love it. Just seal it and it should
    be great. I think your inspiration picture is very nice.

I tell people that I don't have a favorite color, they are all great, but
    if I have to commit, it's green!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

There is a persistent idea that bathrooms need to be associated with the sea, hence "sea green" themes in baths. Plus green has a soothing aspect, which is nice for relaxing in bath.

This has nothing to do with your kitchen, only that the tile industry stylists save their green tile samples for their bathroom promos. Why let only the bathroom specialize in calmness?

House Beautiful has green as its feature this month. You're right in fashion!

___

I would check to see if this tile reads as being dark in different kinds of lighting. You might want to bring in some lighter tones as well, unless you already have lightness in vicinity. I think celadon cermanics can tend towards being gloomy unless they're in strong light. But they're classics and are timeless.

I hauled around some gentle green countertop laminate samples for months and still remember them fondly. The room would have been very soothing, esp because I have a lot of counter surfaces.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I love ming green marble and have wondered why we don't see it more in kitchens. However, in your case, I worry that it might compete too much with the Costa Esmeralda. Get some samples and check them next to your slab. If it works it could be lovely.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

In one of the episodes of Sarah's House, Sarah Richardson uses a ming green sunflower mosaic tile from Saltillo Tiles as a backsplash.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love it and think it would be wonderful. I'd wait until the Costa is in though to see how it looks with your slab in your space. I am guessing it will be a lovely combo.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Love the inspiration pic and the ming green. It will be
    lovely.
    ~boxer

• annac54
    12 years ago

I think it would look wonderful. Since it won't be right next to the costa, it won't be competing with it, but bring the color throughout your kitchen. Looking forward to pictures.

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

One thing I'm realizing in starting to update my kitchen: if you love it, go with it! The tiles look beautiful to me, and if you love it I would hate for you to ever regret not using it.
    ilene

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback...I really do love it and I brought the sample, as well as the cabinet door to the granite yard. It looked lovely all together, but I will definitely wait and see how it looks in my space. Demo was last week, cabinets go in 2 weeks from Monday and our contract says the work should be complete by March 30th! Fingers crossed that nothing unexpected pops up (though I am sure something usually does).

I LOVE that Sarah Richardson Kitchen...beautiful, but I'm afraid I would get sick of the pattern after a while. Would be gorgeous in a bathroom.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

My early favorite was a ming green backsplash by Ann Sacks: Matchstick Mosaic. It's gorgeous, but too pricey for me. I still went green, but used glass tile instead.

Here's the Ann Sacks:

{{!gwi}}

Source: [houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-shelving-and-cabinets-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~98502) via Jen on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: [houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cabinet-tile-window-detail-transitional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~53414) via Jen on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: caitlinwilsondesign.blogspot.com via Ranelle on Pinterest

I love the tiles you found, and think it will be a beautiful kitchen!

• Niecie5
    11 years ago

Did you ever decide to go with the Ming Green Marble on your backsplash? I am new to this site and saw your post. I have the exact same inspiration picture! I have white white cabinets with the island and cooktop in dark brown stained wood. I have Costa Esmerelda on all surfaces. I saw the Ming Green Marble yesterday and LOVED it! It's my final decision in Kitchen remodel. Thanks!

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Niecie,
    In the end, I did not use the Ming green marble. Once everything else was complete, the Ming green looked too "minty" in my kitchen. In the end, I went with 3x6 Bellevue Tiles in Meadow (a light greenish -gray color) from Best Tile. It is slightly more gray than my inspiration picture, but I am very happy with it! Good luck!
    Stacey

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

Could you tell me more about the Bellevue tile? Is there a "brand" name I could search for? I don't have a Best Tile anywhere near me but that meadow color looks perfect! Do you have a photo of your finished backsplash?