Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tealeaf1012

oxyclean on tile grout?

tealeaf1012
11 years ago

After years of trying to get the stains out of my cream colored grout (yes, a bad decision to begin with!), I finally tried a paste of oxyclean mixed with hot water. I scrubbed it and the result was amazing! The grout was gleaming clean.
The only issue was that it was a total nightmare to wash the stuff off. I would wash it off and then there would still be a white dusty haze over the tile... I had to wash it several times to get the cleaner off the floor... but the result to me was totally worth it.

I am just wondering if anyone knows whether this is actually safe for the grout ? I am not seeing any issues with the grout and it's not something I would do often... but I feel like it really saved the kitchen. Nothing bothers me more than dirty grout, in fact I don't know if I would ever put tile in a kitchen again after this. I haven't finished all sections because it was pretty labor intensive but worth it.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried this and if you know whether there any issues with using this product on grout?

The person that sold me the floor told me to just use vinegar to clean the floors, but that was useless for us. I also bought supposed non stainable grout. I was pretty skeptical about the idea of non stainable grout, and I guess I was right. I don't really think there is such a thing... but I am sure I paid more for it!

Would love others thoughts on this!

Comments (9)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I haven't tried Oxyclean on grout, but it is amazing for getting build-up off glass shower doors. The only trouble is rinsing it off...you're gonna get wet and it takes several attempts to get all the residue off. But nothing cleans quite like it.

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

Sometimes dry baking soda spritzed with hydrogen peroxide will clean it without residue, but you have to let it sit on the grout in a paste for a while. ITA with sumac, tho. Time to seal.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

FWIW, Bill Vincent, one of the tile experts here, always recommends oxyclean for grout.

• deeblakeslee
    6 years ago

We used Oxiclean on our white grout (around black wall tile) in our shower, and now have a cloudy white film on the black tile that we cannot remove!!! We have vinegar, industrial cleaner,etc. Nothing works.

• Dr. P
    6 years ago

I've used a homemade oxyclean paste on grout. It worked but I had the same film problem as you. I've also used comet with bleach to good effect as well. I say go ahead and seal the grout ASAP and perhaps it will buy you some time. I've also tried out the grout tint/sealer and although it is tedious to apply it looks good. If you are going for an off-white/cream there should be one that might work for you. Home improvement stores and tile stores carry various brands. Good luck! I hate dirty grout too. It ALONE is the cause of my current kitchen remodel.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

You might try Super Clean on the grout. I bought some to clean grease and oils around the car and tried it on my kitchen floor tile. It worked on both the tile and the grout. It's the sort of stuff you spray on, leave for a few minutes, and wipe away. If you can stand to leave it, it really works a lot better. I expected to have to use my stiff scrub brush on the grout, but an old dish brush worked fine. Super Clean is a step above 409 in cleaning horsepower.

For what it's worth, Oxyclean creates hydrogen peroxide in hot water, so either one of those should work about the same.

• Carole Nguyen
    3 years ago

I tried the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in a paste form and left for 45 mins and saw no difference — can I leave it longer?
    What is best to paste or mix for the oxiclean?

• Cora
    3 years ago

The Oxyclean is not a miracle on stained white grout in a busy kitchen. But it helped. It is still a bit discolored but does not look so grungy/grimy. It is a pain to get it off after the cleaning process. . I am the one who told the installer to use white grout. He attempted to counsel me otherwise but I "won." I actually wanted a Mexican saltillo tile floor with integrated Talavera tiles. It would have cost twice as much and I demurred. The lesson : Go with your first, best idea. If you have to take option 2 listen to the installer's experienced advice. For all of us with the stained grout-you have sympathetic company.