Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

Do you have glass over your wood kitchen table?

Ilene Perl
11 years ago

My first kitchen table was solid wood, the scratches and dents drove me nuts, some of which were caused by DH not being careful when he writes. Our next table is ceramic tile top, after 15 years it looks new, but style and size aren't good for my new kitchen. I saw a table I love, unfortunately it has a veneer top, the design on table top is beautiful, I don't want to cover it up with pads and table cloth, so am thinking of putting glass over it. If you have glass on top you wood table do you like it? Do the scratches in the glass show a lot? Is your glass tempered? What thickness do you recommend, was thinking of 1/4 inch. It's yours polished or beveled? THANKS!!!!!!!!

Comments (8)

• jansin62
    11 years ago

I have glass on top of my mission table. Love it. It's not tempered, and it just has a plain edge. The annoying thing is the need to constantly clean it. And sometimes spills get under the glass which is hard to lift and then clean underneath. We've had it about 4 years or more, and only one small chip on the glass. I think it's about 1/8". I just went to the local glass shop, and they gave me what they said is standard. There are no scratches in the glass, and we are not an easy family on things.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't, but I should. Bought a lovely vintage table (you know, cheap), refinished the beat-up top, plopped it in the kitchen, and, well, you know where this is going. Now I have a lovely vinyl table cloth. :(

I think the edge depends on the table style somewhat--a beveled edge wouldn't be right on a mission table, but might look very nice on a fussy Duncan Phyfe style.

Glass will resist damage more than any wood--if you get a chip or scratch on glass, imagine what the wood would have looked like after that!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I've seen many wood tables with glass but it takes a bit of warmth out of the look (and feel). Still, I think it can work well depending on the look you're going for. : )

We have a large walnut island--- i'm hoping it will hold up well! (fingers crossed)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I don't have glass on my table, but I should, because the finish is very soft. I wouldn't do a beveled edge on protective glass, but a pencil edge makes a nice soft edge that doesn't take away from the amount of usable flat area.

I had plain ol' glass on my desktop when I was a kid and it held up very well all through elementary and high school. No major scratches and only one edge chip.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!!!

I just called to order my table/ glass top too, unfortunately he told me the table isn't a perfect round and I'll have an overhang with the glass.... to have it fit properly the glass will cost 100 less than the set.... I'm back to square one in looking for a new table.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!!!!

I just called to order my table/ glass top too, unfortunately he told me the table isn't a perfect round and I'll have an overhang with the glass.... to have it fit properly the glass will cost 100 less than the set.... I'm back to square one in looking for a new table.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Can't you take the table's measurements (or even a template) to a glass shop and have glass custom done there? That's what I need to do with mine since it's surfboard shaped.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

I used to have a wood table and had a piece of glass cut to fit. It was care free and best of all, when I used my expensive table clothes underneath they stayed clean and stain free. Even with 3 kids! I replaced my table with a gorgeous inch thick glass on cast stone pedestal. It looks smudgy most of the time, but beautiful right after it's windexed which must be done several times a day. So I keep a table cloth,(which gets dirty easily since it's on top of the glass) on it and now you can't see how lovely it is.......... loved the glass on wood treatment!

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!