Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
copper or fireclay farm sink for my busy family

Posted by waterpondgal (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 9:23

I'm wanting to know which is the lowest maintenance. I have small kids and do not want to have to worry about cracking or coloring the sink. Iwant the white sink but just unsure.... I've always had stainless steel said never had to worry about the breaking of dishes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: copper or fireclay farm sink for my busy family

Fireclay sinks may crack if you poor boiling water into them on a cold morning or if the garbage disposal is installed incorrectly.

It can chip if you drop something heavy like cast iron cookware. It can stain if you let foods with a propensity to stain sit on the floor of the sink for an extended period of time.

If you get a cheap copper sink, particularly one from India,China,or Mexico, then it may require you to dry after use or to wax it from time to time. If you get a finish other than a natural unvarnished patina inside the sink it may permanently scratch or discolor.

If you get a good Copper sink with a natural patina finish on the inside the only real downside is that acidic foods will clean the patina and it will look uneven until the sink patinas over in a week or two. It does not show water spots or have permanent scratches like stainless steel. Any scratch will patina over in a week or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here