Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rikerk

Hood design dilemma - kitchen designers please help

rikerk
10 years ago

My kitchen has been complete for several years. I am now ready to get the custom hood that I have wanted for a really long time that will go between 2 windows. I currently have 24" cab 32" space including chimney hood and 24" cab for a total of 80". I know exactly what I want to do but and stuck on the crown molding because of the detail on my doors.

Comments (13)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Can you give a little more info about what it is that you want to do and why the crown molding is a problem? Ya gotta fill in the blanks, please.

right side up

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is not my kitchen this is the inspiration hood that I love. This is what I want to do for my range area between the 2 windows. The above hood is made using the same doors that I have by schrock galena. Here are my issues

1. My ceilings are 8' (the inspiration is 9') and the crown in the rest of my kitchen is 5.5" using a vv96 valance board and swvcrm8 Victorian crown. The hood has to be 30" off the range surface.

2. Can I mount my hood higher in the range area and forgo the vv96 valance board on the cabs between the windows so it is seems more like a stand alone piece. I plan to stagger the 2 outer 18" cabinets. I don't have any other staggered cabs in the kitchen. If I don't forgo the vv96 the doors above the shelf the doors are going to be really squishy at about 11". I want the largest door above the shelf as possible.
    3. I plan to have 18" cab 44 " hood with custom liner and 18" cab

What are your thoughts

This post was edited by rikerk on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:03

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry my ipad is not cooperating with the pictures. I have to get to a real pc to post the pictures and remaining details
    Thanks
    Kim

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other side of the kitchen to the right of the windows and also shows the crown on the rest of the kitchen

This post was edited by rikerk on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 10:21

• User
    10 years ago

You are gonna have to replace that entire section of wall cabinets, including the crown, and maybe even ceiling crown. It's at least a 8K expense for the materials and labor. Are you Ok with that expenditure? What you have is very nice.

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly are you saying i have to replace all of the crown in the kitchen? I am not trying to save anything between the 2 windows where the range area is currently. I am ok with the expense and have already gotten the quotes from the cab company and for the modernaire hood insert. But for the cost I want to be sure want to be sure about not using the vv96 in that area and the staggered cabs. I know what I have is really nice, it is just not what I want.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I think the only way it will look right is to do a stained cab that drops below the existing crown. The other kitchen has higher ceilings, and your cabs are already at the ceiling.

I would worry the new glaze would be "off" if you try to match.

Nancy

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nancy are you saying that you think I should do that entire 80" span of cabinets and hood between the 2 windows stained like a cherry color? Would that be odd as there is nothing else cherry in the kitchen. Would I do the same exact door

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• rikerk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

I think you should start over with a new thread--it isn't clear which picture is your kitchen--have you posted two inspiration pics?

• User
    10 years ago

No, it's not the pics. It's the fact that the solution is very specific to the cabinet line being used and the skill level of the installer and the actual on site measurements. If the cabinet line being used, as well as the specific pieces within the line being proposed to be used, as well as additional field measurements are given, then it might be possible to suggest something specific beyond, ''talk to your designer and installer.''

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    4 years ago

The hood in the original picture looks like a "Vent a Hood", I would go to their website and look at the options. You can also search in Houzz (and Pintrest) for Vent a Hood photos. Vent a Hood is a brand - btw. Happy Decorating.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths