Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far off counter should pendant lights be placed?

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:16

They're hanging them right now. The ceilings are 10 feet tall. There are 2 pendants going over the island. Is there a rule of thumb as to how far off the counter the bottom of the pendants should be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far off counter should pendant lights be placed?

Ours are at eye level and we like 'em just fine.

o

I think it is more dependent on the size of the pendants. Our pendants are approx. 6" round/sphere and they are 37" to the bottom of the pendant. We also have 10 ft. ceilings.

o

I'm sure this is too late for you but I'm so glad you brought up the question. I will also need to decide and the info at this link shows me that there is not a simple "one size fits all" answer.
Let us know how yours turns out.
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-The-Proper-Height-For-A-Pendant-Lamp
(I'm sure there are other places on the web to find answer as well but this looked pretty good to me)

o

Great article linked to above!

o

We ended up with the pendants being 36" off the island. they're large upside down bell shaped from Pottery Barn. The electricians have to come back to do some more things next week, so if I want them changed they can do that. Thanks for the article!

o

I think the better question is how far from the floor. I have a pet peeve against pendant lights hung so low that you have to be sure to look between them if trying to have a conversation across a counter. And they should be high enough that a tall guest (such as 6'5") can easily see beneath them if standing near them. I have the same comment for range hood heights. My tall husband gets frustrated to duck to cook with some range hoods.Or, to bump his head if he forgets to avoid hitting it.
lafdr

o

Something to consider--

In our lower level kitchen, the peninsula is 38" deep, and the pendants are 26" from the counter. My daughter accidentally hit and broke one of the pendant globes.

In the main kitchen, the peninsula is 44" deep and the pendants are 31" from the counter. A number of times, when drying large pans or cookie sheets, I've almost hit one of these globes.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here