Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_ryan4352043

real life experience with quartzite counters?

Kitchen_ Reno
10 years ago

We're mid kitchen remodel and I'm still undecided on counters. I love the look of marble but with two little kids and lots of entertaining of other families with kids, I just can't do it. I know myself, and I'll be too nervous about it. I'm drawn to light counters (cabs are white inset). Right now I'm leaning towards either "wicked white" or "sea pearl" quartzite, but am worried about quartzite etching or staining too. Can anyone share your experience with one of these quartzites or just quartzite in general? I would prefer granite or quartz just for the less-worry factor, but I haven't found any that I really like. DH in particular is not a fan of quartz, so I've pretty much ruled that out.

Pictures/stories all appreciated!

Comments (22)

• isabel98
    10 years ago

I have madre perla quartzite and love love love them!

No problems at all with staining or etching.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I have calacatta quartzite and have had no etching or staining so far and tomato sauce has been left on the counter overnight! (No staining by US anyway, but that is another story!)

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I have Azul do Mar quartzite - it's been in for years now and it doesn't etch or stain despite a sometimes untidy family.

Real quartzite never etches - quartzite is a stone that is made almost entirely of quartz with minor impurities giving it color.

Unfortunately, stones that are labeled quartzite sometimes are not quartzite and etch because they contain minerals with calcium. For example, it seems relatively common for stone labeled as super white quartzite to actually be something calcium based - perhaps a dolomite. This problem seems more common with the light colors.

You can tell the difference between real quartzite and calcium containing stones because quartzite is very hard - harder than granite - and doesn't etch. If you get a sample, you can apply an acid such as lemon juice or vinegar and see if it leaves an etch. You can test for hardness by using a bit of glass - for example the side of a bottle - if the stone has a sharp edge. Rub the bottle against the sharp edge of the stone and see if the stone scratches the bottle. A sharp edge of quartzite will scratch glass because it is harder than glass. This test has the advantage that you may be able to do it on the slab at the yard even if you can't get a sample.

Quartzite varies in porosity - the classification quartzite tells you what mineral it's made of, but that mineral may be arranged very densely so liquids (and hence stains) can't penetrate it or a bit less density so that a bit of liquid can seep in. Like with granites, the fix for this is to seal the stone which fills the pores. Our quartzite didn't need sealing, but some quartzite does.

• olympia776
    10 years ago

I love my white macauba and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only issue I've had so far is that I've got an oil stain near my range. I'm hoping a poltice will make quick work of it but I'm not sure yet. Other items have left no marks at all - no coffee, tomato, wine, etc. No etching either. I'd chalk the oil mark up to user error. I don't think DH or I noticed any oil splatter and didn't wipe up the area. The veins and color variation sometimes act to camouflage any stains or spills which could be a bad thing. I think even this oil mark wouldn't be noticed by anyone else but me unless he or she was really looking!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

My brother has polished super white quartzite counters. They're gorgeous, but he has experienced some staining, especially around the cooktop. I think mainly from oil. As a guest I haven't even noticed it, but he did lament the stains, so they must bother him some. I don't believe he's attempted any poultices.

• kevdp4
    10 years ago

Super White is not a quartzite.

• Peke
    10 years ago

I have sea pearl quartzite honed. My husband left a spot of mustard on the counter and we didn't find it for about two weeks. His tools tend to wind up on the island so the mustard spot was buried. It wiped right off with a damp cloth. No grease spots or anything and we are no longer careful with it.

• sarahregan7
    10 years ago

We have had super white quartzite counter tops in our kitchen for a year and a half now. They are still bright white and staining is not a problem. I keep them clean and free of clutter so I don't miss any dark food/spills that need to be wiped. Any stubborn stains, usually oil based can be removed with a dab of bleach. I was scared when the installers (the men who install not the business owners) said that these counters stained easily and they were always making house calls. Well they told me how they get the stains out and it is easy. Sometimes hot oil, in say tomato sauce, if left over night may leave the slightest stain. I just put a dab of bleach on it and it disappears. Same with an other sort of stain like beet juice or red wine(if left for a really long periods of time, which is why this has not been an issue for me). I gave the counters an extra coat of sealer too after they were installed and I was even able to wipe permanent marker off with some household cleaning spray. They are not high maintenance at all, get them! When the sunlight hits the quartzite it shimmers, so pretty!

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

My white macaubus is great! I sealed it and I clean it just the same as granite. I only have it on the island, there's a dark perimeter granite, so I can't share experiences having it right by the cooktop where there's more oil. I am using marble subway tiles for the backsplash, so I can get a bit of marble into the kitchen.

Sea pearl, calcutta, taq mahal are all very pretty. I think that super white is not actually quartzite even though the stone yards call it that.

• azmom
    10 years ago

In general Quartzite is much prettier, much harder and more expensive than granite.

We have Moon Light quartzite in both hall bath and master bath. It is a gorgeous stone. We purchased a big slab, so it is used for counters, foot rest, shower niches, trims around shower and windows.

Bathroom could be more harsh than kitchen for natural stones. But the sealed quartzite is so easy to clean. It does not etch, stain or scratch, all we need is a wet microfiber towel.

It is hard to go back to granite once have quartzite. I want to use quartzite for future kitchen remodel. Of course, now we would have to wait a little longer to save for it.

• desq
    9 years ago

Kitchen-reno, if you have a moment, would you mind sharing your decision and how you came to it? I have the exact same situation - we are mid renovation, still undecided, two kids dedicated to making and hiding messes.

l love the look of the quartzite (the natural stone, not the synthetic stuff that they also call Quartzite. like we need more confusion in the midst of all these decisions) -- and hate the idea of having to be worried about my countertops. Love and hate in equal measure.

Thanks!

• skda2
    8 years ago

Agreed. I would love to hear your update as well. What did you end up choosing?

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just saw the request for an update! We ended up not going light at all. After weeks of indecision, we decided on leathered jet mist granite. It is a totally different look than what I planned (something light) so I was worried about changing my "vision" so drastically. But I have to say - I LOVE it! I can't imagine my kitchen with a light counter now.

I had been searching for a white quartzite for so long but was worried about staining/etching. I just didn't want to baby my counters or worry about the kids/babysitter/guests/etc. I started looking into soapstone, but couldn't find a slab I loved. Someone suggested jet mist - we tracked it down and love it. The leathered finish is perfect.

It does show oily fingerprints sometimes but I just wipe it off and all is good ;-) We are very happy with our decision!

• beth09
    8 years ago

" I hope this helps someone!"

It did. I really appreciate your sharing your very unfortunate experience. I can imagine how you must feel. :/

I am in the research phase of my new kitchen. I have never done one, and have only had laminate my entire life, in every single kitchen. But this time I wanted a pretty new shiny counter. Long story short, thought maybe Quartzite was the closest in indestructibility, but have read several posts of late that say that's not so. So I'm going with laminate, again. I can't deal with spending a bunch of money to then feel like I have to baby the countertop and worry about issues.

So I really do appreciate your post, it is sealing the deal. But again, sorry you have experienced this.

• beachem
    8 years ago

I'm going with Quartzite but the importer told me that the white "quartzite" are not always quartzite and are listed incorrectly for pricing upgrade. This may be your issue.

My stone Fusion was listed as a granite but we were told its a quartzite mislabeled.

There were 5 other types of stone names as the rep walked down the isle and listed the stones. Granite, marble and quartzite are not the only type. They stay with calling it that to not confuse buyers.

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beachem, I am pretty sure it was quartzite...it would not etch no matter how hard I tried, and it scratched glass very very easily. It also has straight veining that does not happen in a granite... I just think it is very very porous and was mis-treated during fabrication and/or not sealed properly.

Beth09-I am glad that helped!

That said, I truly do want to reiterate...I am def in the minority-most people that have my stone do see it as bullet-proof, and love it...so I really do think that if you have a good experienced fabricator, you should be fine with it.

• manydebts
    8 years ago

I too have the same issues with my counter tops. Next to our stove it is getter darker and also getting spots. We had the stone installed just over a year now. It is upsetting due to the amount of money spent. Love it everywhere else in our kitchen.

• Allan Brownridge
    6 years ago

Is Wicked White Quartzite and Super White Quartzite the same thing?

• gourmista
    5 years ago
    We have had madre perola quartzite countertops for more than 7 years now and they could not be easier to maintain. They have never stained or etched, even when leaving spilled red wine and tomato sauce overnight. We have never sealed them although sometimes talk about doing so. Very happy with them.
  • gourmista
    5 years ago
    Also, we cook and bake a lot and use the kitchen counters heavily, including with children.
  • tara9169
    5 years ago

I have the super white quartzite. I've had it now for 3 years and although I still love it and get lots of compliments, I have some hazing, and a few shadowy looking spots, (will attempt to add a few photos.)

The company just left (repair) and re sealed it however the spots are still quite noticeable. Disappointed but hoping they come up with a solution to hide it better than the typical sealant. 5 photos attached: Last two I've circled the two biggest spots: (although you can see them in photos 2 and 3 as well)