Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Advice needed on dishwasher placement

fishymom
10 years ago

We are doing a remodel in the same footprint as the previous kitchen. We have made some changes, eliminating the cook top and double wall ovens in favor of a slide in range and hood. We had an OTR microwave which we eliminated and have opted for a microwave drawer. As of now, the microwave cabinet, which will be in next week, will be to the right of the sink where our dishwasher used to be, with the dishwasher moved to the left of the sink.

I have been living with the dishwasher in its new position since Saturday and I am having reservations about the change. There are 36 inches between the dishwasher and the adjacent cabinet, leaving no room for anyone to enter the kitchen from the family room or secondary bedrooms while the dishwasher is open. We would have the same issue when the microwave drawer is open, but by my logic, the microwave drawer will be opened and closed quickly compared to loading and unloading the dishwasher. Another plus for moving the dishwasher back to its original position is that the utensils and dish drawers are in the drawer stack to the right.

The microwave drawer base and the dishwasher are same width, so switching the position should not be a big problem. So what do you think?

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd swap it for the reasons you state...the DW should be close to where you put the dishes and the MW will be open a lot less. Also, I think it wouldn't stick out as far as the DW door....so long as you have clearance to open the DW without hitting the hardware on the cabinets to the right.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

If the range is to the right of the sink, I'd let it be. You don't want it in the middle of the prep zone. Two people can't use the sink at the same time if you mix up your prep and cleanup zones. Besides, it takes, what 7-8 minutes tops to load a DW? And maybe 15 minutes to unload?

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I'd absolutely switch them back for all your stated reasons. Our dw, pre-rmodel, used to be in the exact same spot in the corner like yours. Our stove was on the right wall and it never competed with the dw. I wouldn't want my microwave stuck in a corner.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your opinions! Annie, yes, there is clearance for the dishwasher to open without hitting the cabinet hardware. And Holly, the range is on the wall to the left. The wall to the right has a 33 inch base cabinet to the right of the drawer base and then the refrigerator. Does that make a difference?

Another pro for switching the dishwasher back to its original position is that my sink drain and garbage disposal are to the far right of the sink and it is a bit awkward to load dishes to the left. I am sure I will get used to it again, I had a dishwasher to the left of my sink for 13 years. But I have to admit that having the dishwasher on the right was one of the things I liked about this kitchen.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Will your drawer and cabinet be able to open with that handle on the dishwasher sticking out? I had to replace my dishwasher recently and really wanted to have that handle as it would be nice to hang dishtowels on, but mine is in a corner like yours so no go or the drawer wouldn't be able to be opened.

Any chance you could make the entrance to the kitchen a little wider? Ie have another foot?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I would definitely switch them. In my previous home, before we remodeled the kitchen, the dishwasher blocked the aisle and it was one of the things I truly hated about that design. We had a peninsula the same size as yours -- after we remodeled, from left to right, it was wine fridge (not opened often), sink, dishwasher, drawer for dishes across from the sink/dw, glasses above and to the right, trash and trash compactor just around the corner to the right. Very convenient and well-laid out cleanup zone.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red, I was typing my reply when yours posted, I am right handed and do prefer the dishwasher on my right. My garbage can is on a pullout on the left side under the sink. The dishes are in the center drawer in the drawer base to the right in the picture. So the dishwasher to the right would be most convenient.

Lyfia, the corner blind pantry cabinet requires fillers so there is no problem with opening the drawer or cabinet. Unfortunately, no chance of making the entrance to the kitchen from the family room any wider. It is not the main entrance to the kitchen, but definitely the most used one, so i wish it were possible!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I've seen it posted that the DW on the left is better for right-handers. That's where mine is and I don't notice any awkwardness. I also have my silverware where yours is. So I think the most important consideration is the aisle.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The MW gets more use in my house than the DW. The DW only gets run once a day, but coffee or tea is always being heated up in the MW. Or leftovers heated. Or ice cream thawed a bit.

There's not a functional issue for handedness with the DW on either side. You can get used to either. But, if all other things were equal, right handed people are more efficient in their workflow with the DW on the left, and vice versa for lefties on the right. Righties use their right hand for the scraper and then can just load it with the left hand that is already grasping the dish. If you switch the dish to the right hand to load to the DW on the right, it's a more awkward motion. But, as I said, you can pretty much get used to anything that doesn't involve actual pain. Like barking your shins on the DW when trying to unload the dishes into the cabinet directly above. That's an error in planning that I see done all the time.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our MW doesn't get that much use, it's just my husband and I here except during college breaks. I do reheat leftovers for lunch a couple of times a week and sometimes frozen veggies for dinner, but that's about it. I guess I will wait until the microwave drawer cabinet is here and see how it feels. Thanks again for the replies!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

On a related note, I was just in a home that had the dishwasher raised to bar height. I sure wish mine was that high.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As a follow-up, my microwave cabinet was installed yesterday and I did switch the dishwasher back to it's original position. After cleaning up from dinner and breakfast, I am so happy to have the dishwasher back where it belongs! For whatever reason, it just feels more comfortable for me to have it there.

Trebruchet, we had a raised dishwasher in our last home and it is one of the things I truly miss! It was installed in a an oven cabinet, so was taller than bar height,but boy was it convenient. They did have some fun with the plumbing because it was up so high, but once they got it figured out, it was great! Here is a photo of our kitchen in our old house with the raised dishwasher..