Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal !!! LONG!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, here is my finished yellow kitchen thread! Can't believe it is here!
I can't thank ALL of you enough (or at least those who shared in my vision!) for all the help. Like most of us I really spent so much time on every decision. I joke that nothing happened by accident.
There are so many of you that contributed your thoughts and ideas but I want to especially thank lavender_lass and marcolo for all of their wise words and helping me find and stay true to my vision.
I found the hardest part of renovating is not going off track every time you have to make a decision and not letting others sway you to do things you really don't want to do!

What is NOT finished:
*Still waiting on banquette bench for between the 2 built-ins
*New Dining Table
*2 ends of the Backsplash Tile are not installed yet b/c they were sent back to manufacturer to get a bull-nosed edge.
*Custom light switch cover to match BS tile.
*Deciding on window treatments-whether or not to do them...

Specifics:

*Custom Cabinetry- Gilreath Cabinetry in Harrisburg PA
Perimeter is 36" finished, island is 34" high, baking area 33" high

*Colors of Cabinetry- BM Barley 199, BM Mascarpone AF-20 Cabinets were finished with a catalyzed lacquer (not paint) and clear top coat.

*Wall Paint- Kitchen- BM Elephant Tusk OC-8
Dining Area/Living Room BM Woodlawn Blue HC-147
Living Room BM Putnam Ivory HC-39

*Countertops- Vermont Imperial Danby Marble 3cm (purchased from PMI in NJ); Black Walnut 2" Thick Island Top finished with Satin Waterlox (constructed by our Cabinet Maker)

*Island Size is 9 feet x 51 inches *We keep 5 stools at the island but 6 fit fine (2 at the end)

*Appliances-
Thermador CIT365GM 36" Induction Cooktop (mirrored finish)
Electrolux Icon Double Ovens- Professional Series E30EW85GPS6
Electrolux Icon French Door Fridge- Professional Series E23BC68JPS5
Bosch 800 Plus Dishwasher- SHV7ER53UC
Miele H4080BM Speed Oven
Marvel 60RDEBBO Fridge Drawers

*Floors- Red Oak finished with Minwax Provincial Stain and Vermeister Commercial Finish Poly. Matte

*Hardware-
Renovation Hardware Gilmore Cup Pulls in Chrome
Top Knobs Cabinet Latches in Chrome
Emtek Old Town Clear Knob in Chrome
Schaub & Company 6" Chrome Pulls and 12" pull for Dishwasher

*Lighting-
UCL & In Cabs- Seagull LED lights 3000K temp
Drum Pendants- Lamps Plus
5 light Chandelier- Visual Comfort- Michael S Smith Eiffel Chandelier in Polished Nickel

*Sinks-
Main- Kohler Whitehaven K-6489 36" Apron Front Cast Iron Sink
Prep- Kohler K-6584 Iron/Tones Cast Iron Sink

*Faucets-
Main- Moen Woodmere in Chrome S7208C
Prep- Moen Woodmere Prep Faucet in Chrome S6208C
Soap dispensers- Moen
Pot Filler- Moen Showhouse

*Insinkerator Evolution Essential Disposal
Insinkerator Instahot Faucet F-HC2215 Chrome
Insinkerator SST-FLTR

*Backsplash by Wizard Tile
Design is Ribbons & Feathers with Crackle Glaze in Custom Color

*Stools- Counter Height from Grandinroad

BEFORE: This project included pushing out the entire back of our 1950 Cape 7 feet. Also, removing about 5' of our living room wall which involved moving the basement steps over. Removing a wall between the dining room and kitchen, adding a covered porch. We also did all new siding and other exterior things but I'll stick to inside.

Kitchen was originally a galley measuring about 19' x 9 1/2'. Dining Room was about 8 1/2' wide. Now it's really one large room 28' x 16 1/2'. Kitchen side alone is 16' x 16 1/2'

Choosing reveal photos was worse than narrowing down pics for our Wedding Album! SO sorry in advance for the quantity! Hopefully you'll never have to ask me for more pics : )

AFTER:

BAKING AREA SIDE OF KITCHEN:

Most of my drawers like these are adjustable which I'd highly recommend. If they weren't I wouldn't have been able to remove partitions to fit taller pieces.

Key Cabinet

My KitchenAid

COOKTOP SIDE OF L:

THERMADOR INDUCTION COOKTOP--

CORNER:

SINK WALL:

DISH DRAWERS & DISHWASHER:

COUNTER HEIGHT WINDOW BUMP OUT:

TV Pocket Doors Over Fridge

ISLAND:

Thanks, Breezy : )

Storage at Back of Island (Shelves are 9 1/2" deep)

NOW GOING TO THE RIGHT OF THE SINK/FRIDGE WALL into Dining Area:

6" DEEP BROOM CLOSET

LOOKING FORWARD TO SPRING/SUMMER VIEWS:

MY ORGANIZATIONAL SPOT (cork back, file drawer, printer, BluRay player, desk items, charging drawer)

WHERE BANQUETTE BENCH WILL BE:

BAR AREA:

REFRIGERATOR DRAWERS:

CUSTOM SLIDING DOORS-- These were at one point supposed to be pocket doors but I didn't want to close off views by having 3' of wall pocket on either side so came up with this which is working well at blocking sound but still gives an open feeling to the space.
I also love the 3 lights on the top so it's less busy and easier to clean!

INTO LIVING ROOM:

LIVING ROOM LOOKING INTO KITCHEN:

The blue looks brighter than it does IRL:

A FEW LAST SHOTS...

THANK YOU GW for this FUN, FULFILLING, (and often STRESSFUL) Experience : )
Fishies

This post was edited by 2LittleFishies on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 19:48

Comments (161)

• walkingchick
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love...love...LOVE your kitchen. Yellow is my favorite color, and you did a spectacular job!! Enjoy it all!!

• carp123
    11 years ago

awesome!!

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Fishies! I remember your first posting and have watched your progress with great interest. To say, "Job well done" is such an understatement! If I were you, I would be sleeping on a cot by that big window in the DR so I could fall asleep looking at my gorgeous new kitchen (or I'd sleep on that beautiful island). :)

Yellow is such a tricky color to work with, but you picked a great hue! So rich without being too bright or pale--perfect! And your walnut island top is the perfect contrast against the cabinetry and beautiful marble. The devil is always in the details and you certainly conquered that devil. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. I'm sure you'll make many wonderful memories in your new kitchen!

• Eyegirlie
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful that I literally got teary eyed several times while looking through your pictures! What a peaceful and welcoming piece of perfection. Congratulations on creating such a wonderful space that we will all drool over for years to come.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is just wonderful! I love the buttery color. It has been fun to watch the evolution of your beautiful kitchen.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Fishies - I am so happy for you. I recall your many posts identifying your vision. You did it my dear, you did it. I scrolled through every picture and kept going back to look. Absolutely the best designed kitchen in form and function. I can only imagine how much pleasure you receive from those fortunate to see it in real life. Congratulations on a job well done!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some Pics of Last Night's Snow---

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

Wow and wow. I love everything about it, and wish I had my kitchen to do over again! You'll throw some amazing parties in that kitchen! Congrats!

• lillyvt
    11 years ago

What can I say that has not already been said --it is so lovely! The buttery cabinets, the wood topped island, the baking center, the seating area -- it is all so well thought out and so beautifully done. Now if I can gild the lily, I would like to make one tiny suggestion. How about having your cabinet making install a wood drip rail under the sink. It would take him (her?) half an hour and I think it would be a very subtle, but worthwhile addition. It would break up the flat stile between the sink and the cabinet doors beneath it and add some alight, but important, visual interest. I would paint it the same yellow as the cabinet so it would be extremely subtle. Check out pictures of drip rails under apron sinks and see what you think. Again, lovely, lovely job, congrats and enjoy, Lilly

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Wow. I am really impressed by your attention to details, both the finishing details and all the organizational items. You clearly put a lot of thought into the project, and the final result is amazing.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Wowee. Love everything about your new space. I am especially impressed with your storage solutions. You must be an extremely organized person. You should absolutely consider becoming a professional space designer if you are not already doing so now. Marketing your services to some custom cabinet makers is an opportunity to consider.
    Congrats, so beautiful and so very functional.
    MJ

• Jfay
    11 years ago

Simply put, it's simply lovely. Thanks for all the pics. They are so helpful for those us us still in the planning stages. What a happy place. I can't wait to see your banquette.

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

If I could recreate a kitchen I would copy yours exactly ! (I would have tried if my darn house wasn't so modern). The details on your cabinetry are breathtaking. Who came up with all those ideas like the glass panels only at the top of some cabs and some of the slab drawers over two 5 piece drawers? It is all so unbelievably cohesive. And the hardware!! To die for! And the baking station and bar and broom closet omg.

Those glass sliding doors are pure genius.

One question - Where did you get that little mama bird ceramic plate??

I missed much of your planning process, are you a decorator? Kitchen designer?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

So many decisions, so much stress, but it was so worth it in the end. What a fabulous space you've created!

I was glad to see your photos of the snow--I was thinking what a lovely place your house would be to snuggle down and watch the storm. So serene inside, no matter what's happening outdoors.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

And the Academy Award for Best Kitchen Reveal in Painted Cabinetry Category goes to.... 2LittleFishes!!!!!
    Love it. My favorite color is yellow; I got to have yellow siding but get NONE in the house :( ...
    I will pay you to come see your kitchen. Really. I live in Pa.
    You done good girl! I love the mixer cozy.

• beachpea3
    11 years ago

What a wonderful journey you shared with us. From your very first post to this one! You nailed it Fishes! Love the fact that you had an absolute vision before you started and went with it! Well done!

• MNexlurker
    11 years ago

Flawless Beauty!

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

yellow is the new white.

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

What you have not done this time, 2LF, is repost your inspiration pic, which I found so appealing that I saved it way back when.

I cannot give you a greater compliment than to say that you absolutely captured its charm, with slavish copying.

I know this has been a long adventure for you and your family, but you really did knock it out of the park. Congratulations cubed.

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

Correction: withOUT slavish copying.

• janealexa
    11 years ago

Beautiful and very well organized!! Enjoy!!

• Mick Mick
    11 years ago

I love it. The colors are perfect! All of your decisions created a unified space. Now I want a yellow and white kitchen.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I love the yellow of the cabinets and the beautiful wood on the island. Enjoy!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I never would have thought of yellow and white but seeing yours, I can see that it's a great combination, warm, bright, and cozy. And oh my, all your drawers! Thank you for showing so many pictures of the details. I've already saved an inspiration picture and I bet I'm not the only one. (Love your snow too.)

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

>> What is NOT finished:
    *Still waiting on banquette bench for between the 2 built-ins

Can't wait to see this!

Can you post the design?

• Linda
    11 years ago

That is just amazing! The attention to detail, the crafstmanship, the functionality -- but most of all, it is just awe-inspiringly beautiful! I remember the very first inspiration picture, and the evolution into the yellow kitchen! Your dreams and dedication sure paid off! Enjoy!

• lexmomof3
    11 years ago

You did an excellent job executing your vision. It is beautiful! Are you floors white or red oak? If so, what is the stain color? Thanks!

• ellabee_2016
    11 years ago

My absolute favorite part of your kitchen -- and that's a tough choice, given the number of appealing aspects -- is the glass sliding doors, with the 3-light 'transom'. Not only do they give the benefits of openness (light, connectedness) without the drawbacks, but just as important, they mark the transition from living room to kitchen as an entrance.

Also am drawn to your sink window; I'd resist window treatment of any kind, but that's me. It's a beautiful space that will tell you what if anything else it needs.

And I know I'm not alone among this storage-geek crowd in being knocked for a loop by the paper towel pullout. Let us know how this setup is working for you a few months in; if it's problem-free, the forecast is for widespread imitation!

Have enjoyed reading your posts and ensuing discussion, and have occasionally wondered about the origin of your handle. I'm a Dixie Hummingbirds fan, and it always reminds me of their song 'Two Little Fishes and Five Loaves of Bread'.

Thanks so much for the detailed tour.

• ellabee_2016
    11 years ago

Just looked through the pics again and want to compliment the lowered beam/soffit that separates the cooking and dining area. It's a subtler separation than the glass doors, but equally important at demarcating an area and making it feel a bit more intimate than it would without the beam/soffit. Was it a structural necessity, or added to achieve that demarcation? Beautiful job, either way.

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

Ditto what everyone else said. Your kitchen is better than the inspiration pic (which I like a lot).
    If I dreamed of my perfect kitchen, it wouldn't have held a candle to yours.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

2LF, OMG!!! absolutely so much detail and planning on your part and the results are STUNNING. Even in the middle of winter it's like happiness and sunshine in a warm and inviting way but so sophisticated at the same time.

You worked so hard to pull this all together and should be SO proud of your work. Congratulations!

• msl511
    11 years ago

Cozy! Warm! Inviting! Oh, so pretty! And it's clearly very personal, not at all a cookie cutter kitchen. I don't know you at all, but it's very clear it's your personal vision.

I looked quickly through your pictures, but I'm definitely going to have to go back and study things carefully because this is obviously very intelligently designed, not just a pretty face. I expect to learn a lot here.

I do have one question right now, if you don't mind. What made you do your pull out pantries in the style you did with the door that pulls out (I don't know quite what to call it.) rather than a door that swung out on hinges, which would allow you to stand in front of each pull out? Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can all imagine, I have enjoyed reading all the comments this weekend. I can't believe I am almost at 150 comments which is the limit! Kind of sad! lol I want to respond to everyone but they all would say "Thank You!"

I am SO happy because the kitchen turned out exactly as it was in my head for the past year! Sometimes that doesn't happen. I always thought, "It's not even possible I could ever be so lucky that it will look the way I am seeing it in my head." And it does!

berardmr- It all started with sitting down with my GC and his architect and coming up with the plan as far the bumpout, walls being removed, stairs moved, etc.. It changed in various ways several times before finalizing. DH and I had lots of input and communicated what we wanted. A custom cab maker did a kitchen plan although he backed out our job due to scheduling. That plan went to the cab maker we ended up using and he made some changes after our first meeting. From there I pretty much changed things regularly as I sat for hours - almost every night- analyzing EVERYTHING! (DH couldn't imagine what I could possibly be doing!)
    The finishes, various pullouts, broom closet, keys, organizational were all things I requested. Same with the bumpout window and the sliding glass doors.

quiltgirl- When you say drawer depth, I think you mean their height as they are all standard 24" depth.
    The top drawers are all 4 3/4" high (but the interior is 4 1/8"). I love the 2nd and 3rd drawers in the stacks are 9 1/2" high (8 1/2" in some places) and the pot drawers are 13". The drawer under the double ovens is 9 1/2" high which for the baking dishes would have been too short. However with the adjustable dividers I was able to make it work. The two drawers to the left of the fridge are 13". I wanted those for snacks and bread so went from three drawers to two. Love these! Everything is working out great.

lillyvt- Thanks for your comment! I did consider doing one a while back and decided not to. I appreciate the suggestion : )

mjocean- No, I'm not a space designer. lol I am organized, however! Maybe I should consider that! Thank you.

amandasplit-Presently, I am a mom. I taught Music and Spanish before having my children. (I studied Voice and Opera in college). I'm not a kitchen designer and never even looked at a kitchen magazine much until this process started a year and a half ago. I think that's why it took me a couple of months to really figure out my direction. I was new to the whole thing. THEN, I went head first and studied every magazine, website, and GW picture I could find. That's just me. I commit myself like crazy to what I am doing and then hope it all works out! : ) I do love to decorate but how often does one get to do that? GW was so helpful because reading other's posts would remind me of things I would need to think about! I think I asked about a new topic every couple of days. lol

The little ceramic bird dish (I use as a spoon rest) was purchased on Etsy. Thanks so much for the kind words!

lexmom- They are red oak and the stain is Provincial.

ellabee- Thanks so much! I am so pleased with the doors and am glad I ignored those who said not to put any. I also am leaning towards not putting a window treatment but I am going to wait until the banquette and the cushions get put on. I do feel like we could use a little fabric to absorb sound and soften things but like I said- I'm not going to rush into anything. The beam between the kitchen and dining area is structural but agree it does add a feeling of demarcation.

mamadadapaige- Thanks so much! And, thank you for your thoughts along the way as well : ) It definitely was worth the wait!

marcia59- The Pantries- I started a thread about this topic a while back. It was very informative. I'll put it below. I didn't want to have to open doors to roll out the drawers. Also with rollouts I've experienced where the doors sometimes get banged around if they aren't open wide enough of if you don't push the roll out all the way in the door bangs it when you close the door.
    On the other hand with pull out pantries, it is one movement. That being said instead of having all the drawers attached to the main door, I decided to only have the top and bottom drawers attached so you can see inside better and have the option of only pulling out what you want to pull out. Also it becomes less heavy to open. People seems to have strong opinions on what is best. Ultimately I went with what I though we'd be more comfortable with. So far it is working really well : )

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg051536138135.html?24

• sanveann
    11 years ago

It looks spectacular -- so bright and sunny! :D

• theultimatebikerchic
    11 years ago

Great job!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Seeing what you started with and where you ended up makes it clear that you have amazing vision!
    Everything is perfect. The cabinet construction and details are stunning made only better by a fabulous yellow color choice.
    Your kitchen is unique yet classic at the same time.
    Enjoy!! I will not be surprised to see it in a magazine someday.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I especially love your sink below the window and the way the marble extends out, lovely! It's a winner! So elegant and well thought out.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I especially love your sink below the window and the way the marble extends out, lovely! It's a winner! So elegant and well thought out.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! It means so much ; )

Being this is the last comment that can be added to this thread and it has only been a couple of days, I'm going to start a Part 2 in case others have questions, etc..

Fishies

Here is a link that might be useful: PART 2- Fishies Kitchen Reveal

This post was edited by 2LittleFishies on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 22:30

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

2LittleFishies....HELP!! All of your photos are GONE!! I know this is asking a lot, but is there anyway you can repost? Or are they somewhere in HOUZZ-land that I can't find them? Thank you so much!!

• Gabby Springs
    9 years ago

cant see photos either?? what is up with that?

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Many of the longer Gardenweb kitchen reveal threads lost text and photo content when they were imported into Houzz. The good news is, Tamara says the data is not lost, but the threads will have to be repaired manually. No time frame yet, as they’re still working on other issues.

We’re keeping up with the lost content issue in this thread:

Kitchen Reveal Threads Missing Photos and Text

Currently, you can still see 2LittleFishie’s intact threads by finding the cached version in Google. I have some info about how to do this in the above thread, about 20 posts down. (Feel free to message me if I can help.)

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Hooray, houzz has restored some of the photos! Not sure if they only intend to restore 15 photos; 2LittleFishies' original post has over 130 photos.

I hope this just means they're making progress. There seems to be no limit to the overall length of houzz threads (?) so fingers crossed more photos are coming. The first 7 pics restored above are her "before" photos, and of course it's all the "after" photos everyone uses for planning and reference.

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

This is wonderful information! Thanks so much, mudhouse. And also HOUZZ peeps who are working on this. :)

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

twobelles, in the meanwhile, here's a thread I just posted with some info about how to access older threads in Google's cache. All of 2LittleFishies' pics are showing there, at least for now. How to view older (undamaged) GW threads in Google cache

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

Update, there are still photos missing from this 2LittleFishies Part One thread, but she posted the same photos (and more) to her Part Two thread. Houzz has restored all of her photos to the Part Two thread, so now you can see them all at the link below. Thank you houzz.

Link for all photos: 2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal part DEUX

• Dana C.
    last year

Are the edges of the open shelf area trimmed out or routered edge? Idk what to specify on my open cabinet but I don’t want flat fronts or sharp edges. Thank you.

• decordummy_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

10 years later and it is still one of the most gorgeous kitchens that I have ever seen!

• Katherine Canon
    last year

You need tell me how you did that drawer for the baking sheets and cake pans. The idea for the shelves to be adjusted is a great idea.

• Ivan I
    last year

Hello Houzz technical expert,

When I click on the link hoping to see those amazing pictures that I once saw eons ago, I get the error message.

Cannot GET /discussions/2496394/2littlefishies-yellow-kitchen-reveal-part-deux