Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamarahl

Please recommend your MD-based kitchen remodeler

tamarahl
11 years ago

I am stunned (not really, this just seems par for the course at this point in my remodel) to learn that the company I had planned to use (who had stellar references and reviews) CANNOT renew their Maryland license, due to tax issues and problems with the ex-wife, at least that is what I am being told.

Now, I am back at square one after 5 months of meetings with my builder! I am looking for a company that is honest and dependable, skilled at framing, has great subs for electric, plumbing, hardwood floor install, etc. and is reasonably priced. Oh yeah, and can start immediately!

I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.

Thanks in advance for any referrals you can provide.

Comments (15)

• dccurlygirl
    11 years ago

Oooh! I hope you get some good responses. I'm looking, too.

• realism
    11 years ago

Why don't you ask your kitchen remodeler who they would recommend. Are they simply going out of business? Maybe many of their employees will be moving to another remodeler so you can use many of the same people who would have been performing the work on your kitchen.

Care to share the name of the company you were going to use?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

tl1969, I'm sorry you're now out of a builder. However, be glad this guy's problems and reversals didn't happen in the middle of your project. Good luck!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Realism, they are not going out of business, they still have their VA license and continue to work in VA for now. They offered to have me pull the permits, and continue on, but I am not comfortable having a company that is not licensed perform the work. Should anything go wrong, I fear I would be up a creek without a paddle.

I prefer not to name the company, as I probably shared too much personal info about them, and would imagine they prefer to remain anonymous for that reason. If someone is about to sign a build contract with a MD-based contracting company, they can email me and I will confirm if it is the same one.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

We wound up having a friend GC (crazy, I know), but we went through the whole process of gathering bids, and a friend highly recommended Costal Builders. They bid our kitchen job, so we met with them and I felt very comfortable with them and the process they outlined. In the end, our actual cost was pretty close to their bid. They've actually got a slew of references on their web page; I'm not sure if that's standard business practice, but the other firm we considered didn't have that.

I hope you get this GC mess worked out soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Costal Builders

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, fouramblues, I looked at Coastal Builders' website, and they do not work in Montgomery County. I sent them an email just to confirm that is true, but am not holding my breath.

I appreciate that this business issue came to light prior to us proceeding any further, always good to look at any silver linings.

Any other amazing contractors out there who do work in Montgomery County? I am all ears!

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

My contractor in DC is excellent. You can see his work for me at the link below -- at the top and very end of a long thread -- and also a posting in the "Smaller Homes" forum (search "small abode). Please note that my penchant for recycling random stuff has characterized his work for me, but he has done numerous new kitchens on Capitol Hill, in Brookland, and in Virginia.

I know he has couple major projects starting in the spring, but not what is going on right now. If you are interested after checking the photos/descriptions on Gardenweb, you can email me through the "my page."

Cheers and best wishes in any case. hbk

Here is a link that might be useful: recycled kitchen

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good news, Coastal Builders does do work in Montgomery County! They will come on-site on Thursday to meet me and my Kitchen Designer.

I have fingers crossed.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I hope your meeting goes well, tl! Do check out hbk's kitchen if you haven't already -- lovely! It's always smart to get a few bids, as you probably know.

BTW, I think that Costal's range fluctuates, depending on how much work they have at the time. They were willing to come to PG for us, and that was around this time of year last year.

• kitchen_maman
    11 years ago

We are working with sustainable design group. They are based out of Gaithersburg. We have been very happy with them. The have architects and builders. We used both. We have a total house rennovation. We too are located in a close in community in Montgomery county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable design

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the referral, Kitchen_maman, the website looks great! Sustainable design would definitely be a contender if I were not already set with my drawings from the structural engineer, and ready to start demo immediately, my days of planning are done (hallelujah).

I cannot wait to see your house. Are they doing an atrium garden? I have a 7.8 system of photo voltaic solar panels on my roof and love them!

• kitchen_maman
    11 years ago

Tl, we put on about 500 sq feet off the back, gutted our kitchen and are finishing half our basement. I have some pictures on the smaller house forum. We want to put on some solar panels with a battery to create a generator that will last about a week. Unfortunately that isn't in our budget this time. We will be doing it though, because of Pepco. I just heard a horror story about another house our builders did. It took 3 months for Pepco to come out and change their box! We have a dual fuel, and I cannot be without a stove for another 3 months!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, fouramblues, I looked at Coastal Builders' website, and they do not work in Montgomery County. I sent them an email just to confirm that is true, but am not holding my breath.

I appreciate that this business issue came to light prior to us proceeding any further, always good to look at any silver linings.

Any other amazing contractors out there who do work in Montgomery County? I am all ears!

• mjamison
    11 years ago

I recommend using http://serviceagroup.com to find a contractor in Montgomery County, Virginia or DC.
    They are based out of Gaithersburg and thoroughly verify contractors and will match your project together with the right contractor. we used them for our kitchen remodel and they sent us 3 great contractors to choose from. We saved alot of money too because they found a contractor already working near by. We were very pleased with our kitchen and they even helped us resolve project issues. Check them out. They can help find a contractor for all types of work not only kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: ServiceAGroup.com

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I contacted serviceagroup about 2 weeks ago, and they have been incredibly helpful! I am very impressed with one of the companies they introduced me to, too. Their customer service and follow-through with me have been top notch.

I hope to have 3 new bids within the week, and can make a decision then.