Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

help. another last minute shoulda known-dw panel how to?

deedles
10 years ago

Okay, I bought an Asko DW that takes a custom 3/4" thick panel.
Check.

Our cabs are face frame, partial/full-ish overlay. (told cab guy that I don't want to see a whole lot of face frame)

So. Is there any way to have the DW panel overlay or will it always be inset looking?

Can the DW be pulled forward a bit and the panel made wider so it is overlay?

I've read and re-read the install instructions. DH feels we can pull it forward 3/4" so the panel will be at the same vertical plane as the drawer fronts. Doable or no and if no, please tell me why as I'll have to explain it to him.

If anyone has a picture of their custom panel DW in overlay cabs, can you show me. I'll search for images in the meantime, too.

THANK YOU!

Comments (10)

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

do you have the dishwasher in you place yet? The one I have (not ASKO) is sized so that the panel is in line with the doors, It cannot be inset. So by default, it is the depth of the cabinet doors with the panel installed.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it'll probably be fine but I'm confused about this whole thing. I can't quite picture how it'll all work with overlay.

Whoop! Found an old thread.. might be getting somewhere...

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Euro dishwashers-bosch, miele , asko- are all shallower so they can work with inset but are not a problem to work with overlay cabinets- do it all the time.
    BUT they are narrower and if your overaly is less than full you have to trim the sides of the dishwasher- not a big deal, just something to keep in mind. Should be planned for by designer/maker ahead of time.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Good afternoon deedles, My cabinets are full overlay and I have a Bosch paneled dishwasher. The panel is flush with the fronts of the cabinets on each side of it.
    I do have a bit more space on the right side of the dishwasher than the left but that is because of the way the curved cabinet was made.

I think the dishwasher panel could have been made wider (it is flush with the edges of dishwasher door). If it was wider it could have covered some of that extra space. I read somewhere that the panel should be made 1/4 inch less than the width of the opening rather than the exact width of the dishwasher.

The litlle extra gap on the side didnt bother me enough to have the panel remade. Maybe someday I will have it remade though, because the cabinet maker also put a stile in the middle of the panel even though I don't have stiles in the middle of my cabinet doors. Nobody has noticed that until I point it out but sometimes I think I should have changed it.

Here are a couple pictures of my paneled DW
    {{!gwi}}

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I'm with the cabinetmaker. I don't think a huge door with no stile would look right.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jakuvall, the panel screws to the front and would look like badgers, I'm guessing. Not sure what you mean by trimming the side although the instructions talk about a trim kit if the opening is a standard 24" american size. If left at 23 5/8 euro size, then it says no trim kit is needed. Is this the trim you refer to or is it something else with the custom panel?

hi badger, I was looking at one of your old threads today but I didn't see this nice shot of the DW. I think yours looks great. By gap do you mean how much face frame you see from the front OR do you mean the dark strip from the side view in the second pic?

I feel doofy for not having this figured out long ago... duh.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I would think you could have the panels made wider to cover the gap.
    I had my refrigerator panels made about 7/8" wider than the specs called out on each side to extend over the face frame, and mimic my partial overlay cabinet doors/drawers...
    You can also see this also hides the strip I had to add to the opening, because the new refer is narrower than our old one.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 21:32

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

We have an ASKO and full overlay doors. I have to say I don't understand the issue. I'll try to post a pic, but our cabs are black (and covered in dirty dishes at the moment).
    Hmm, I guess it isn't quite flush with the next cab doors, but it is so little i never noticed before.
    If you think it would help, I can take more pics from different angles and try and remember how I attached the panel. I do remember the KD saying it couldn't be done, me insisting it could and ordering the front panels and doing it myself.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 22:12

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ctycdm and daisy: thank you for the pics... those really help. We're going to do exactly what you guys did. It's so helpful to see that it will work out fine.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Deedles, yes the trim kit OR if the reveal requires put narrow straps matching cabinetry in each side of opening. Always have cabinet on each side with a finished side, flush not essential but is nicer and for some brands easier.