Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Backsplash- Could this be it?

localeater
11 years ago

My cabinets and countertop were installed in December and I have been plodding my way through finishing details. One detail is the backsplash; others are stools, window treatments and replacing the sconces. My kitchen is an L. The sink wall has a backsplash behind the sink to the window sill in the countertop material, madre perla quartzite.

From GW Photos

I want to add a tile backsplash to the stove wall. My thought is to do the whole wall up to the bottom of the hood.
From GW Photos

This is the tile I am considering. It is by Szygy Tile. I like that it is a color blend. It is three of their glazes and and each one pools and varies within itself. I like that it adds textural interest without being something that draws the eye too much; it is interesting without being overwhelming. The posted image looks a bit blue, the tile in real life is more gold and grey- no blue whatsoever.
{{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Comments (40)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

There is so little room left above the tile if you take the the bottom of the hood (no room for artwork at eye level), I would fill in the entire wall. You've chosen lovely tile.

Here is Rococogurl's lovely kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: More full tile walls here

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 9:27

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I see the blue on my monitor, so hard to imagine the true color. But it is lovely, and I think it will be beautiful on that wall! I would consider doing the whole wall though.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

The tile is stunning and will finish off your lovely kitchen to perfection! I also think that you should do the entire wall; otherwise it might look unfinished.

Beautiful space. Can't wait to see it completed.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Wow! Lovely kitchen. I agree about doing the whole wall. Can you prop the tile up along the wall and take another picture? I 'think' it is going to look great but would love to see it in place. Then if you wanted to you could copy and paste the picture all along the wall to get an idea of how it would look. Perhaps use a different tile around the windows to give them a framed look.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I love the tile and its subtle variations. I agree with the others that you should consider doing the entire wall. It would look unfinished otherwise, and what would be the point of stopping?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Gorgeous tile! I've found I am clueless when it comes to figuring out how a tile will look in a space. Fortunately, I've become fairly adept at photoshopping. It really helped me figure out a better tile for our space.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And just to the hood:

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would do the whole wall. I like the blend but I am wondering if the Riviera pattern is a bit complex for the overall look of the kitchen and if their Prism or Talea One pattern might be more suitable.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I'm hard at visualizing this, but it might be a lot of tile, so I think I'll be the only dissenting voice here.
    You have beautiful beams, a great window with view (?), a nice hood. To add a wall of tiles (especially such beautiful ones) may just be too much.
    What will you do to the right of the hood? Open shelves? Pots/pans? I wonder what it would look like to have the tiles window sill height and just up to the hood under the hood. Or maybe nix the tiles and go with a stainless steel behind the hood. I'd go for something that blends more in with the wall.

{{!gwi}}

(seems to me no tiles to the right of hood here)

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

along the lines of palimpset's observation...I think it might "muddy" the view out the window. When you compare your 2 camera shots-with/without tile....without the tile really allows the great view to shine.With the tile kind of "messes" with that. It depends on how much you value the window scape. I would value it greatly and do a MUCH simpler tile and end it along the bottom dimension of window then get the stainless panel to go just under the hood and get a great paint color up the wall the rest of the way[some variation of the gray green island].What would be wrong with more of what you have at the sink and end it at bottom of window? It's a hi end space because it's straightforward with good surfaces and wood,I don't think you need tile of that sort.

• toepytoe
    11 years ago

IMO, I think it's to busy to do the whole wall. Our backsplash has a thin simple metal edge on the top if our marble backsplash to give it a finished look. We did the whole wall because it was neutral, not busy. Tiling the the area just between the stove and hood and edging /framing the sides with trim would give it a finished look. Like a picture in a frame. I like the colors of the tile, but not sure about the size. I haven't looked at the specs, but I'd also consider the tile size. Tiles that are to large may look out of place to frame.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I don't really like this, but just playing with your elements. If the tile just runs up behind the range, the right blank wall looks wrong. So I tried some open shelves to balance the window. Of course, artwork might do the same.
    Here it is. Might provoke some ideas?

Edited to add this version of the above pic. I also changed the shelves to closer to what I imagined:

I meant the shelves to be the same darkness as the beams. They came out darker than I intended.

Editing to add this idea, based on a photo posted while I was doing this one. What if the bottom shelf is dropped to the level of the bottom of the window? Then the tile runs under the window and under the shelf.

Might unify the wall without overwhelming it.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 16:05

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I like that mock-up above a lot better; or maybe even drop the tile altogether (sorry, it IS beautiful) and go with the counter material as you did on the sink side.
    With the whole wall tiled, your eye stops right there rather than take in the view out the window.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I went back and edited the photo above.
    I think I like this one.

Or, as nosoccermom suggested, but a bit differently, bring the countertop material up under the window and the shelf for continuity around the room and run the tile up as in the first photo I posted. I might like that better, I think.

I definitely like the shelves extending the window lines to balance the wall.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:55

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Of course, I'm biased, but I like this the best. Are the tiles to scale?

• msrose
    11 years ago

My Taj Mahal is being installed tomorrow, so I'm anxious to see what you decide to go with :)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Nosoccermom
    I have no idea. I just guessed at scale.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Ob2b for doing those mockups, that was so generous of you.
    But, oh dear, I do not like it at all now having seen them. It is much to busy for someone with my need for clean lines. I also think it much too curvy. I need straight lines. Back to the drawing board I go.
    To answer some questions, I have considered stainless just behind the range- it seems kind of cold to me. Maybe I need to pick up a cheap stainless backsplash at Lowes and set it there for a few days to mull it over though. I have also considered more Madre Pearla behind the range. I like that idea but it comes with issues. I need to source the stone and it is costly- but so is tile. I also wonder if something just behind the stove, particularly something as think as the MP slab, would feel a little lost. I sometimes think that about the sink wall; I look at where the sink splash meets the wall and think that I don't love it.
    I do like the Szygy tiles, perhaps I should just do them in a subway pattern, maybe not the blend just one color. I also like Fireclay Tiles, lots of their glaze colors work in the kitchen, I think my favorites is Malt.
    I will just keep tweaking.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

If the tiles are close to scale, I think that perhaps a smaller tile would be better.
    You could even continue the shelving that Bellsmom photoshopped in on the sink wall. (Love the photoshopping, BTW. Is it difficult?)

• deedles
    11 years ago

You could tape up some tinfoil back there. That should be able to give you an idea.

What do you think about the counter material up to the bottom of the window and all the way across and then up to the bottom of the range hood? Then some chunky shelves across the opening to the right. Might look great... tie into the beautiful beams visually.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of postings while I was posting.
    Bellsmom thank you for the additional mockups. I think these tiles are out now do to the size, the curviness and the complexity.
    I will find something simpler.
    herbflavor I love your point about the tile around the window muddying the view. I agree and I don't like it. Even though I have ruled out this tile, I much prefer Bellsmom's mockups that have no tile around the window.
    Nosoccermom, I have to talk to the stone place about sourcing more stone. If they don't have a remnant and I doubt they do it will likely be cost prohibitive for me to use the quartzite.
    Toepytoe: I like the idea of just doing behind the stove with tile, which allows it to have bullnose(if that is the right word) and feel less "lost". Perhaps I would do that with Fireclay Malt which looks great with the counter. Need to get a bigger sample, right now all I have is a tiny 2x2 square.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles,
    I tried the tin foil a while ago and if I recall correctly I didn't like it. But then again I think I was reusing foil from a casserole dish(i hate waste) so maybe that was a bad plan.
    RE the stone- I doubt I can get more at a reasonable price. They will most likely have to bring in a slab just for me.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Two more and I am outta here.
    Localeater, it has been fun to play with your beautiful kitchen.

The shelves give a place to stop the backsplash without running it to the ceiling. But they may make it look ''busy,'' Maybe a piece of art there?

Anyway, here, FWIW
    To my surprise, I prefer this one:

This one seems off balance and busy.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 12:53

• mic111
    11 years ago

This is a bit of a departure from your original idea but I like the idea of some metal ceiling tiles behind the stove. Here is an idea of what I'm thinking. I saw them at Lowes or Home Depot in the kitchen section recently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal tiles

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here's one of Motherof3sons's tile choices :)

(Cleaned up a little).

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:15

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Just some more ideas for you:

White brick tile - color off but like the size:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

White Heath tile - lighting makes a big difference and warms the white up. (Not saying this is right for your kitchen, but there's something I like here).

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:29

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You GWers are the best! So many great thoughts in this thread for me to ponder. Kudos to OB2B and Bellsmom for their fabulous PS skills. I really need to learn that!
    Right now I am thinking that I might like a small tile just behind the range to the beam. Sort of like Bellsmoms 11:24 post, or maybe even just to the bottom of the hood(I know nobody liked that). I also really like the quartzite mockup but as I have said before sourcing and paying for will be an issue.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Localeater
    I added a second pic to the 11:24 post so you can compare. Just took a few minutes.
    Good luck with the quartzite search if that is what you decide on.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thank you Bellsmom! I have to think on it. I think I like that new picture, I like the simplicity of something just behind the stove. Maybe a big enough remnant of the MP is hanging out at the stone yard. And I will try the color copier trick with these tiles, because I started out loving them, even if I now think they are too curvy. Thank you for all your help.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I just want to say that I LOVE your kitchen. The tile might not be right but it is beautiful. Is there some place else you could use it?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

LocalEater - I like the models that go to the ceiling behind the stove and just under the shelves and window on the sides. Looks like you are still hunting for the right tile.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hopefully this was the tile about which you were thinking?

P.S. - no comment from anyone about my post on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 13:24??? ;)

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, you sweetie! I do kind of like that look. Now I am going to take advantage of your generosity and make you do one more for comparison.
    This is the tile I have on my counter right now. I am waiting for a sample where the light color in the mosaic is a bit lighter and a tad olive, even though my husband says this one is perfect. Because it is so dramatic I would only use it behind the stove and hood, up to the ceiling, the wall to the right of the stove will eventually have shelves or something on it. The sconces are changing bigger and darker, the window will have a small valance. I am just trying to describe the eventual plan for anyone who might look at the thread.
    Thank you so much.

From GW Photos
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

• kam76
    11 years ago

Localeater would you mind posting the layout/dimensions of your kitchen? It is very similar to one I am considering but DH keeps saying we won't have anywhere to store dishes. He is not a fan of open shelving (though I love it). Do you find you have enough room for your dishes? It looks like you might have a cabinet above the dishwasher (I would not have this).

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

KAM76 here is a layout of my kitchen with the perimeter dimensions, the island dimensions shown are not correct. The actual island is 91 1/2 by 35 1/2.
    I have plenty of room for my dishes,and everything else. Many drawers and shelves are 1/2 full and several are completely empty. My starting point was layout with uppers and no island. My husband also insisted we would not have enough storage space. To convince him I demonstrated the amount of space I would be gaining in the island. I also explained to him the difference in space in an overlay cabinet v an inset cabinet which was what we had prior to the reno. We did consider frameless too, to really maximize but in the end I wanted to go with a local cabinet maker. His cabinets are modified frame however, so they really waste very little space with framing. I feel obligated to mention that I am not a collector or clutterer so you may have lots more stuff than me, and I also have a pantry closet.
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen Planning

From Kitchen Planning

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Just remembered that I hadn't done this yet for you. I don't think the scale is quite right:

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

localeater, your views are really stunning and your kitchen feels very earthy to me. i like the green tiles ob2b photoshopped best so far because it seems to coordinate with your wood beams best. Have you considered the tiles from heath also? i think they would look gorgeous in a simplistic way. and also go nicely with your woodwork too. here are a few patterns that i love and am thinking of using myself.

• msrose
    11 years ago

localeater - I'm trying to remember if your granite is Taj Mahal or Madre Perla?

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

msrose: My countertop is madre perla with a brushed finish.
    Ob2b: Thanks for all the photoshop efforts.
    All: thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

I have decided to stop thinking about the backsplash until I finish up some other details in the kitchen. Maybe I am just not ready. Maybe I am not able to identify what I want and what I like. I do know that tiles that I think look great when they are sitting in my kitchen, don't look anything like I expect them to when I see the photoshopped images.
    Thank you all for your help so far and I will be back for more assistance soon.