Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Boxerpups. Help with pictures.

aloha2009
13 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures you post. Where do you find such great pictures??? All the googling I do, I can't seem to find nearly as great of pictures as you provide to all of us on GW. What's the secret?

(I included the one you found that closely resembles the the layout we are considering).

Comments (15)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

: ) Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh It's a secret.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had diagrams and computer generated layouts of our kitchen design but nothing helped nearly as much as getting one picture.

It makes me a nervous Nellie about proceeding forward with any plans since diagrams and computer generations don't reflect the end product quite as well I'd hoped. Am I just alone on having this problem?

• macybaby
    13 years ago

aloha, I feel the same way you do. Seems no matter how careful I am looking over computer/hand drawings, the real thing doesn't work out quite like I expected.

At least so far I've only rebuilt two upper cabinets that looked OK on paper but didn't function well. Maybe that is the big thing, they looked fine but they didn't work like I thought they would, and you can't really get a good feel for function from a drawing.

I still think using a computer program (3D) helps emensily in avoiding the more serious "that won't work" problems that you can't see with flat drawings. This is particulary important if you are moving walls and windows around.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've got a 3D program and that helps but a picture helps so much better. Perhaps others have certain sites they have found good for getting kitchen pictures???

• rayle
    13 years ago

I could help look for pictures, if I know what you are looking for, aloha2009.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Aloha,
    I am happy to help search like Rayle.

I am a visual girl so I love looking at kitchen pics.
    A picture helps me see it in place. I like 3d images too
    but they can be very clinical when I am trying to get the
    feel for the space. Kitchen Eye candy spells it out and
    reminds me of what I want in the space.

Have you visited any kitchen blogs? These are full of
    kitchen images.
    Try Houzz, Willowdecor, TheKitchenDesigner, DesignSponge,
    TheKitchenExchage, Susan Palmer Designs, Porterhouse Designs,
    The Decorating Diva, Attic Magic, Apartment therapy,
    Archinspire, Kitchenism, Design crush, Renest...

Great Web sites for kitchen eye candy
    are HGTV, HB Magazine, Veranda, Country home,
    This old house, Martha Stewart, BHG, NKBA,

Hope these help.
    ~boxer

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's so sweet of you Rayle to look. I have resorted to just googling images but I'm not finding what I want exactly. The one picture above closely resembles what I'm looking for in a kitchen (thanks Boxerpups). Seeing the flooring, island and a great angle into the kitchen, really got me to thinking about the openess. I'd like to see some pictures of a very open floor plan with a great room, kitchen, dinette and dining room with little or no walls dividing the rooms.

Boxerpups, I don't even understand what a blog really is (can you believe I use to be a computer programmer 25+ years ago). I'm going to try these sites you suggested.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

The picture is beautiful and an inspiration. Does anyone know who makes this island or something similar? What is the approximate cost for something like this? I guess it would be a custom order? I would just love this for my new kitchen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh Goodness, I see I forgot the link in my earlier post.
    Forgive me, I thought I had it in the earlier post. And
    clearly despite my tech experience I am a lame brain.

The image is from Earthwise Cabinetry
    The specific one is San Rafael custom painted on site.
    Earthwise Cabinetry Inc.
    651-A Portal Street Cotati, California 94931
    707-665-9060 don@wntdesign.com

I know nothing about Earthwise from personal experience.
    I love that they are Green Friendly or trying to put
    that into their kitchens. The recycle pull out trash
    is too cool.

~boxer

Ps. After clicking on the link,
    Click on the picture with the mixer on wood counter
    and this "Your" dream kitchen will pop up for you.
    Of course the kitchen eye candy is amazing with the
    other spaces too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthwise

• rayle
    13 years ago

Not sure what colors you prefer, so here are 3 various ones with an open concept:

Bowles Group LLC

Freshome.com

HGTV

I have company coming today, so I will look for more pictures tonight or tomorrow. (Like boxerpups, I love looking at design pictures!)

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures everyo

It's so hard to find (for me) refrigerators on the side across from the island. Though the picture at the top is BEAUTIFUL, I use it for my inspriration because of the layout more so then the choices of cabinetary, countertops, etc.

Here is the layout we have decided upon (except we increased the windowsize to 6' and it now has 54" between the island and counter). There aren't the extra cabinets on other sides of the kitchen like so many other kitchens, nor am I going to have a prep sink.

If you can find a picture(s) with layouts close to my layout, I would sooooo appreciate it. Boxerpups find was the closest I have been able to find. Even though the window and range were switched around (hence my reason for initiating this thread), that has been so helpful. I will be looking today myself on the sites boxerpups provided too....I can't ask you all to do all MY work.

{{gwi:1588088}}

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please excuse my venting.

OK, I'm totally frustrated!!! I have been looking for so long (which prompted this thread), and finding kitchen after kitchen design and Boxerpups picture is the closest. Considering we're putting in a large window (which will change the look dramatically), there doesn't seem to be a kitchen out there I can find.

How could there not be a kitchen with a large window above the sink, an island with a cooktop/range and the frig on the side w/o tons of other cabinetary. I was so ecstatic with Boxerpups pic but it definately has limitations. After examining close to 1000 kitchens, what is wrong with my design that it is so rarely/never used??? I've been TKO for the past several months. I'm going to put this aside for now. If someone can find something wonderful. We've always been complemented on our designs and ideas in the past but I'm feeling like I've designed some freaky kitchen.

Everyone is trying to be so helpful but you can't make something that isn't right be right. Ahhhhh. Thanks for listening.

• rayle
    13 years ago

Vent away, Aloha. It could be that you have designed something truly unique that will inspire others, so don't lose heart. I have some time this weekend to look for pictures, although I may not find anything either. It will do you good to put this project aside for at least a couple of days to let your inspiration return. It won't come if you are frustrated. Hugs to you.

• rayle
    13 years ago

I think this is pretty, and if you use your imagination by putting the refrigerator where the double oven is and removing the corner island in the immediate foreground, it is pretty close to your design:

rockcreek-neighbors.com

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rayle, that that does resemble what I was needing.

It's amazing how difficult it is to find this type of layout. I went through about 700 pics on houzz.com and found a few that resembled it.

The search continues...