Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbell_gw

D sink or rectangular - likes or dislikes

bbell
13 years ago

I can't decide on whether to get a D sink or a rectangular one. I would be installing a faucet, facet handle, soap dispenser, and a sprayer. I was all set on putting in the rectangular sink when the fabricator told us yesterday that the new thing is the D sink and that we should really reconsider.

If anyone has a D sink, I would really appreciate any pictures, opinions of whether you like the d sink or not. Any benefits over the rectangular?

If I do the d sink I was going to put soap dispenser and sprayer on one side and the for the faucet and handle.

Comments (14)

• fivefootzero
    13 years ago

We saw both side by side and the D-shaped one is 4" deeper (front to back). That alone was worth it to me. Same price I believe. We are getting a single handle pull down to be set off to the side...unsure about where to put the soap dispenser though.

• bbell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The fabricator told us that the soap dispenser is usually put on the opposite side of the faucet.

The only other reason I am having such a difficult time deciding is that I just noticed that the rectangular one is 10" deep and I also have to consider the height of the granite will make it seem deeper. The d shape is only 9" deep. Which for me is deep enough.

decisions, decisions.

• vtlakehouse
    13 years ago

We went with a D-shape and chose a faucet with pull-down spray and handle integrated into the faucet along with matching soap dispenser. So we only have two holes in the quartz countertop. We went with the Ticor S405 sink and Delta Addison faucet and love both so far.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I have an Elkay ELUH2118 D bowl sink with a single handle faucet on one side, and cold water faucet and soap dispenser on the other. My main reason in getting the D bowl was moving the drain to the back of the cabinet so I could have my trash pullout under the sink. In a small kitchen every inch counts.

I have the 7 1/2" deep model, there is also a 10" deep model - the ELUH21180. I haven't had any issue fitting pots or pans in the sink.

• bbell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all. The pictures really help in seeing how the handles would be positioned. I think I might have to rethink the faucet set I picked out.

Redoing a kitchen was suppose to be fun but it has turned out to be a lot of work. But we are almost there. After this backsplash...

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I personally don't like the look of a D shape as I prefer straighter cleaner lines. (It's really a sickness.) I do love the shape of Johnny's above as the bottom is squared off. If you aren't in love with your current faucet set, consider a pulldown or pullout with a lever handle. It's two less holes for you! But go with what will please you functionally and visually.

As far as renoing a kitchen being fun is concerned, right now I think it's a pretty miserable task! "Decision prison" someone here called it recently. That's how I feel! Good luck on finishing, and I'm looking forward to seeing it when you're all done.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

One of the biggest advantages of a "D" shaped sink is that they are often deeper front-to-back than rectangular sinks. They can be deeper b/c faucets, etc. can be mounted on the "curve" so they are not completely behind the sink. This means you don't need as much room behind the sink to fit the faucet. This is especially important if you have a raised window w/trim and/or a sill behind the sink. (Trim and sills reduce the usable space in front of them and behind a sink.)

Mounting a faucet on a curve also places the faucet closer to you so there's less leaning forward to reach it.

• bbell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I let the DH decide and he chose the d sink. Like breezygirl, I liked the clean lines of the rectangle but after having the d sink installed and using it for 2 weeks I have come to like it. This sink is huge! I can fit an entire cookie sheet and still have room for cups and then some.

The only downside for me is that the water tends to splash out more. Can't figure out if it is the angle of the sink and where the faucet sits. Anyway, thanks to all for all the help!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Hey, bbell. Glad to know your sink is in and that you like it. Thanks for reporting back. Having a conclusion to a thread like this helps others in your situation in the future when they are looking at past threads.

• aloha2009
    13 years ago

I like the idea of a D sink especially since it would provide me with more window countertop area on the sides of the sink. DH thinks a D sink is only for those whose kitchen don't have the space for a "full" sink. He's adjusted from the idea of a double bowl to a large single, but I'm not sure how to sell him on a D sink. The only problem I can see with a D sink is having to fill a pot of water, or drain water off and having large pans in the sink soaking. No one talked about that aspect of it,

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

Had a D shaped sink in my last house. it was great for the size. we had a 24 inch base and it made the most out of it.

in our new house with the new kitchen, we're putting in a Franke Orca. we have the room.

I think D shaped sinks are great for someone with limited space. if you have room for a 30" rectangular, I think that may be a better option, but that is a whole lot wider.

• bbell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To aloha2009, filling a pot is no problem, you have plenty of room if anything, I am able to put the pot on the countertop and move my faucet and fill. Not sure what your question is about draining water or soaking pots. If you mean having a pot soaking and other things in the sink - then there is plenty of room. Right now I have a pyrex 13x9 soaking and some cereal bowls next to it and was still able to wash some cups, and fill a pot of water. Draining is no issue because I have a sink grid (I think that is what it is called) where the dishes sit on top of and not directly on the sink. Hope that answers your question.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Can anyone comment on whether a d shaped sink would look good in the middle of an island? I'm concerned the faucet mounted to one side would look off balance.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource