Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling vent fan ? for GW to ponder why or why not?....

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 8:56

Okay, so I found this vent that can be ceiling mounted up to 9' high.

And it has either in line or external blower of varying options for cfm.

So why couldn't a person pick a different insert liner (read: less expensive) of the same size with the same external cfm blower and do the same, ceiling mount thing?

I did find one thread from a little while back and one person in the industry said they had one set up in a demo kitchen and he or she was surprised at how well it worked, even way up there.

Possibly the lighting might be an issue?

This would be used over the stove which is being placed against a 42" tall wall and then open to the 9" ceiling.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about why or why not a different liner unit could or couldn't be used in this manner.

Here is a link that might be useful: cirrus vent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling vent fan ? for GW to ponder why or why not?....

Grease and steam rise in a V shape. They expand and become larger as they go upwards. For that thing to actually work, it would need to be around 5'x10' on a 9' ceiling. Otherwise, with that small capture area, all you are doing is making cleaning your ceiling every week be the chore instead of putting the vent filters in the DW. It's a marketer's idea, NOT an engineer's.

o

Well, they have a video on their website that shows it working. Lady is frying up a storm and it's all going into the vent.

Here is the comment from the other thread:

Posted by eelpout1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 16:20

They have one of these (a Best - Cirrus) installed at the Purcell-Murray demo kitchen in Brisbane, CA (as of Aug, 2012). It's over a new Thermador Freedom induction cooktop. I was shocked at how well it worked for being so high above the surface. Not too noisy either. Though I think the rep said there was a replacement part it needed that would quiet it down some more.

I think if you get it with an external blower you can size up the duct to 8".

I mean, who'd a thought you could put a dishwasher in a drawer? Maybe it's new design that really does work? I don't know...

o

Futuro (was it them?) makes one too. Dunno if they work (but you'll always find someone who hasn't tried it to say it can't possibly). Stuff does spread as it rises, but it spreads less if it's being SUCKED towards a certain point in the middle. It would have to be better than nothing. And they are wide.

Purcell-Murray the distributor in Brisbane. Pfft. All the retailers kept telling me to go THERE to see the things I wanted that they didn't stock but they sure didn't have much hooked up.

o

I see on the ABT site, this is listed as discontinued but they don't say if it's the manufacturer or ABT that has d/c'd it.

I wish I could find some real life stories about this thing.

o

I have been to Purcell Murray to cook on their appliances. Email them and they are good about responding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here