Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homesweethome2013_gw

Dish drainers/racks

homesweethome2013
11 years ago

I have a small kitchen ...Any ideas? Takes up room on the counter...any good brands for me to look at ? is it possible to get away without using one?

Comments (13)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I bought a very small one that is just a bottom rack, no basket. I found it online.
    You can also look into kitchen dish mats. Check Bed Bath and Beyond

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

For years I used tea towels on the counter, then move to a dish mat, and now have runnels in my countertop, thanks to GW! So, no, not everyone needs a dish drainer, just depends on what you like. I'm not disciplined enough to put a dish drainer away after use, and don't like the look of it on the counter all the time.

• kitmu
    11 years ago

I gave up on the dish drainer a long time ago. Too ugly just sitting out on the counter. My strategy is to put as many things as possible in the dishwasher, and just dry off what is hand washed and put it away. Sometimes I leave dinner dishes out on the counter at night (I used to use the tea towel, but now I just leave them on the counter) and put them away in the morning. Or whenever I get around to it. There is still sometimes clutter on the counter, but it isn't always there. It's only there when I get lazy, or, um, preoccupied...

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I've switched to a dish mat in hopes of putting everything away and putting the mat away. Unfortunately, I've yet to achieve that goal and mat only gets put away after a major clean up or when entertaining. Even then, it only gets put away for a short time.

Traditional dish racks weren't the best choice for me as all my dishes go in DW. Hand washing = some pots, pans, odds and ends. For this situation, the plate dividers in a regualr dish rack are just annoying.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

A dish mat is great. It folds easily and goes under the sink. We're still in the honeymoon phase with our kitchen, though, so we try not to leave anything on the counters at night!

• dan1888
    11 years ago

If you don't have a dishwasher, you may succeed in findind room for an 18" Miele. Then get enough of most things so you can fill up the DW and still have a couple of each size of flatwaer and dinnerware. Individual pieces get hand washed and dried as used. No need to use counter space for any racks.
    Your kitchen is always ready for the next use.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Another vote for the microfiber dish mat. My kitchen is small, also. I have 2 mats so I can put one in the wash. After drying and putting away everything, I just fold the mat and tuck it in the cab under the sink. Sometimes I just use a dish towel. I love having my pretty counter cleared.

• homesweethome2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great Advice!! Yes, we have a diswasher, but we are a small family so sometimes by the time I fill the washer, Im out of plates, etc.....So I only use the washer after 4 or 5 days....But I like the idea of the mat, then I can put it away...I usually keep on top of most of my dishes...At least I can put it away on weekends, or when guests come over...and the mat left out looks better then the dish rack....

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I use an Oxo silicone drying mat. works great and doubles as a hot mat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxo drying mat

• delaide
    11 years ago

I have an Ikea Bredskar 1 1/2 bowl inset sink, no permanent drainboard. I was able to find a drainboard from another company that sits on the sink, fits perfectly, and slides across, or can be placed on the counter. I also will have a space under the sink to place the drainboard when not in use. I also have a bredskar colander and also a wooden drainboard that slides across the sink. I love it !! And so much cheaper (1/3 price) of purchasing the centinox sink that I originally wanted. The large bowl of the bredskar is perfect for my large frypan etc. and yet I still have plenty of counter space. Perfect solution for me.

• delaide
    11 years ago

I have an Ikea Bredskar 1 1/2 bowl inset sink, no permanent drainboard. I was able to find a drainboard from another company that sits on the sink, fits perfectly, and slides across, or can be placed on the counter. I also will have a space under the sink to place the drainboard when not in use. I also have a bredskar colander and also a wooden drainboard that slides across the sink. I love it !! And so much cheaper (1/3 price) of purchasing the centinox sink that I originally wanted. The large bowl of the bredskar is perfect for my large frypan etc. and yet I still have plenty of counter space. Perfect solution for me.

• delaide
    11 years ago

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

We went with a dish mat. Forces us to use the dishwasher more : )
    The only negative with the mat is that being you can't stand dishes & other items upright they don't dry as fast and you may get a puddle on them here and there.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths