Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_mare

Wattage necessary for pendant lights over the sink?

Maine_Mare
12 years ago

I'm in love with the telegraph pendant type lights (link below) but they only allow 40W bulbs. If I have two, hanging at either end of a double bowl sink, do you think that is enough for task lighting or will it be more mood lighting?

I will also have a schoolhouse type light in the center of the kitchen and it's a very small kitchen so enormous amounts of light isn't necessary. But at night my back will be to the schoolhouse light so will be reliant on the pendants.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Telegraph lighting[(https://www.houzz.com/products/railroadware-the-original-insulatorlight-and-telegraph-light-prvw-vr~201252)

Comments (13)

• Maine_Mare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks linelle! I only have 7' ceilings so they would hang relatively low and it's a small space so the size of the pendant combined with the quaint feel is what I'm looking for in my 1810 cape kitchen.

I'll check to see if they can be returned. That's a great suggestion. Maybe I'll look around for another option as well, that way I will have tested both and are ready for when the electrician is here.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I love those pendants! My DH and I have many of those old insulators and hope to use them for pendants someday.

That said, I last year added some track lighting in addition to two pendant lights at 60W each and 1 center 60W 2-bulb fixture. Without the track lights, the pendant lights and the one overhead light were not adequate. Someday we will gut the kitchen in our old house and remedy the lighting, but for now the track lights make it functional.

If you have outlets available, led undercounter lighting can be added, or even rope lights fastened help a lot

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea LED lighting

• Maine_Mare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mabeldingeldine, I have an option to put recessed lighting but it isn't terribly appealing to me. I will be doing undercabinet lighting (thanks for the link, I hadn't started that part of my search yet and it's nice to have that bookmarked now) but the space over the sink won't have any cabinets near so it won't help with the pendants.

I attached a photo below of the cabinet makers elevations. This is the south facing wall so will have tons of light during the day. To the left of this wall is the entrance and the right will open up to our currently unfinished ell which will have a mudroom added. I plan to hang the pendants so they fall between the 1st and 2nd window and the 2nd and 3rd window, essentially at the outer edges of the sink.

{{!gwi}}

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Linelle touches on an important point. The wattage restriction on the light fixture has to do with the actual power dissipated at the fixture (i.e., the HEAT). The fixture does not care about the LIGHT emitted. Because LED and CFL lights put out a lot more light per Watt consumed, you can probably get enough light from your telegraph-insulator fixtures within your 40 W restriction. For example, you could use a 32 W CFL bulb, which puts out as much light as an older 120 W incandescent.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

I'm not certain what I'm seeing on your elevation? You're doing a raised sink? The windows and counters all seem to be different heights here?

In a small home with a short ceiling, pendants can be a too fussy look. And there are other practical engineering questions here that aren't answered by your elevation. Your windows will not be able to go to the ceiling like that unless you have a dropped ceiling. (And if you do, I'd remove it.) They will need a header across to support the weight of the house above the opening. And that's a big wide opening, so that will need a pretty tall header, at least 12" if not more. I would disguise that by choosing a tall crown molding and valance combination that creates a soffit like place above the sink that would let you recess some flood lights in the height of the molding.

Like this:
    {{!gwi}}

• Maine_Mare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The sink is an old double bowl farmhouse sink. The faucets will be wall mounted on the 8" backsplash. The counter space on either side are the same height. The 1st and 3rd window are full sized and the middle window is shorter on the bottom to allow for the 8" backsplash. Initially, my designer wanted to leave that as wall but I really want as much light as possible and can't see standing at the sink and seeing only wall or cabinet so I pushed for the shorter window. On the outside I will build a flowerbox to mask the different length of window. It will look something like the link below (same sink, same faucet, maple counter), only less expensive ;)

I can't comment on the structural questions. It isn't my forte. But, the three windows are replacing an old picture window that leaks like a sieve so there will actually be more support in the new frames than is currently there now.

Angie, thanks for the comment on bulbs. I will get a selection of different kinds to try them out. To confirm, as long as I stay below the full wattage (40W) I will be safe. The output will vary by type of bulb. Do I have that right?

Here is a link that might be useful: [My south wall inspiration[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/repurposing-a-salvaged-sink-traditional-kitchen-burlington-phvw-vp~382928)

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I agree with LWO about the height of your ceiling and the potential for pendants being fussy. If my ceilings were 2 ft. lower, I don't think I'd want anything dangling above me. I agree that cans aren't a look everyone loves, but it's a great way to illuminate an entire room.

If you haven't gone there already, the Lighting forum has some very knowledgeable and helpful people, esp. Davidtay. I had all kinds of questions and concerns about my LED can installation, and he basically held my hand and walked me through the entire process. It's one of those instances where the magic of the internet is utterly amazing and empowering.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Yes, that is right. The fixture says "do not use more than a 40 W bulb." A 32 W CFL or a 20 W LED both meet that standard! :-)

I ran into this in my own home, embarrassingly. We put up a fixture that was limited to, I think it was, 2 x 75 W. So, we dutifully (and mistakenly) put in two 75-W-*equivalent* CFLs, and were disappointed in the light level. The CFLS were 19 *actual* Watts.
    Then we realized our mistake, and put in something like 23 W CFL (100 W equivalent), and are happy.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by burlington architect Smith & Vansant Architects PC

That's a nice look, but your ceilings will be a foot lower, and that has HUGE impact on how the space will feel.

The sink and the view in your inspiration is the star, and choosing the different height windows and different height backsplash and multiple pendants detracts from that The busyiness of the windows and pendant combination also adds to the visual clutter and takes away from the sink and the view.

Your choices will be even more critical because of the less space. Use the same height windows and backsplash at a minimum. It's two less distracting details. You also need to ask the contractor about my point of the header for the windows. That will greatly impact what you are able to do with the design. Because light comes in from above, you want the windows mounted as high as possible. 75% of the light in a window comes in from the upper half of it. Making a window taller doesn't have a big impact on the amount of light that comes into the space. Mounting the window higher does.

• Maine_Mare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are really good points. I looked into raising the ceiling but it wasn't possible without a large structural change to the entire wing (kitchen and dining room) and we don't have the budget for that nor would the area support that kind of expense in this economy.

I'll talk to my contractor about putting the windows as high as possible.

It sounds like recessed really will be my best bet for a cleaner look. I think I can resign myself to that. I'll head over to the lighting forum to see what they can suggest.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Maine_Mare, I've always been fond of bright natural light, but low ambient light at night (must be the unflattering shadows). I used to think all I needed in my 10x10 kitchen was a decent light over the sink and my range hood light. During my reno, I added can lights, undercab lights and two pendants over the peninsula. I rarely use all these lights together, but when I do, man, it's such a great look. Totally made me a believer in maximizing your lighting options.

Now that my pendants are in, I'm fine with them. However, I think if I were doing it again, I'd just go with cans in their place. It was unthinkable during the planning stage, but there it is.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

'Yes, that is right. The fixture says "do not use more than a 40 W bulb." A 32 W CFL or a 20 W LED both meet that standard! '

I really need to remember this!! I've been eliminating fixtures that take less than a 100 w bulb because of the light issue!

op - those lights are beautiful!