Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgolby_gw

Who has a large single basin sink?

kgolby
11 years ago

I'm considering the Kraus 32" or 30" undermount single bowl stainless steel sink. The drain is in the center of the sink but it looks like it's towards the back. My question to the owners who have a similar sink is do you like the drain placement? Also, how does this affect your cabinet space underneath with the disposal? Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

I have to admit I am biased, but a rear corner drain in a single bowl sink allows you to place large items in the bowl without covering the drain.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I had one in our last kitchen (copper, deep) and loved it. Bought one for this house, but ended up using in the laundry room instead. The drain in center, back and doesn't effect anything under the sink, imo.

• willtv
    11 years ago

We too have a sink with the drain offset to the center/rear. I think it allows for somewhat better storage under the sink, but not by much. It does help to keep the drain clear when there are post & pans in the sink during clean-up. The best drain placement would be offset to a rear corner. This would allow for more under sink storage and would also help to keep the drain clear during clean-up. We looked at this set-up but couldn't find one that worked for us.

• doc8404
    11 years ago

I have a single with the drain offset to the rear right. I'd never go back to any other arrangement. I prefer the GD and plumbing to be concentrated towards the corner.

Doc

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I have a 36" single bowl, kraus farm sink with the center rear drain. Love it! I keep food prep to one side and dirty dishes on the other (for the short time they are in the sink) and it works fine.

I think I'd like a rear corner drain better, but I couldn't find one in my price range.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

I also have the 36" Kraus, rear drain. LOVE it! No problems with drainage.

• function_first
    11 years ago

I have the Kraus 30" single sink with the centered-but-toward-the-back drain. I also have an Insinkerator Evolution 3/4 hp disposal beneath there, along with a club-sized bottle of detergent (with NeverMT), a bin on the left for recycled paper, larger bin on the right for recycled glass and plastic, cascade between them and whatever cleaning products I can manage to squeeze in there in the front. Although I have the 30" sink, I only have a 27" sink base, so the left top of the cabinet has been cut to accommodate the larger sink, so the space underneath the sink is a little less on the left than on the right. If you have the correct size of base cabinet (30") you will have more space on the left than I do (equal to the space on the right side pictured above).

(edited to correct confusing mix up of left and right)

This post was edited by kris_ma on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:02

• dennisforman
    11 years ago

I got the Ruvati RVH7400 single bowl sink and I love it. Very thick and heavy, and the brushed finish is amazing. Ruvati had the same 32" single bowl sink in both zero radius and tight radius. I went with the tight radius because it is supposed to be easy to clean.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the responses. And for the picture, kris ma - that's helps a lot. Currently, I have a double bowl w/ a left rear drain. I'd prefer a left or right rear drain but like someone already said the single bowl sinks that have that option are too expensive for my budget. If I go that route then I'm going to have to buy a less expensive faucet. My new sink cabinet base will be 36" wide so I should have enough space to store items underneath....keeping fingers crossed. :)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I also have the 30" Kraus and love it. Given a choice, I think I would prefer the drain to be off center for under-cabinet space use purposes, but I love the one I have.

• alwaysfixin
    11 years ago

Kgolby - you mentioned that you think that single-bowl sinks with corner drains are all very expensive. I don't know what your sink budget is, but since the Kraus 32" sink you mentioned is about $350, I figure around that. One sink with a corner drain near that price is the Elkay Gourmet EGUH2816 18-gauge stainless sink for $380. Another more expensive stainless sink with corner drain is the Nantucket ZR3218 16-gauge stainless sink for $630.

But better than both of those, at least in my opinion MUCH better, is the Blancodiamond Silgranit Super Single with the corner drain. I like my Silgranit sink so much better than my old stainless sink. It's in the $350 range; the price varies a bit depending on color. It comes in a number of colors from light like biscuit, to dark like anthracite.

I know you didn't ask about non-stainless sinks, but I am such a convert from stainless to Silgranit, I had to say something. We previously had a stainless sink, and now have Silgranit. Buh-bye to scratches, water marks and tinny sound. Hello to easy cleaning, and seeming indestructiveness. We got the anthracite color cause it shows nothing, and looks sharp with our granite. Anyway, the Blancodiamond Super Single will give you the corner drain you want, not too expensive, and will look great, and be easy care.

This post was edited by alwaysfixin on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 20:34

• kgolby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UGGGHHHH, alwaysfixin, now I have another choice & another decision. Thank you for putting in your 2 cents about your experience w/ SS & your preference for Silgranit. I've read just a little about this brand but really don't know much. I need to find a showroom where I can see this sink in person.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I have the Kraus 30" sink with the drain in the center and I love it! I like the center drain because I can store stuff under the sink on both sides (with the disposal unit in the center). I have a 33" sink base with my recycling tub to the left and my cleaning supplies to the right. It works out pretty well.

• springplanter
    11 years ago

I too am looking at a large single basin sink and have narrowed in on the two mentioned by alwaysfixing above, ie. the elkay and the Nantucket. I really like the design of the Nantucket but wonder about the zero radius corners.

Will someone who has these please tell me if they are as hard to keep clean as i am imagining since I've always had rounded ones?

TIA