Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

For all you induction fans, or anyone considering it.

laxsupermom
13 years ago

Paul Anater posted a video of the new Gaggenau induction cooktop, not yet available in the states, over at Kitchen and Residential Design. I was panting and drooling a bit while watching the video - and I'm a diehard gas range girl. The new cooktop has 48 micro induction units vs hobs. You can place your pan anywhere and it'll detect it and start up just the units under your pan.

Next kitchen, this will be mine.

Comments (22)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Darn... just when I thought I was out you pull me back in!

• scrapbookheaven
    13 years ago

I want it NOW!!! Okay, maybe not right now since I just bought a new stove. It does look fantastic though.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

How do you tell it what temp for the area that the pan is on?

• weissman
    13 years ago

I hear that having sex on an induction cooktop is really hot :-)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I remember reading an article about ten years or so ago about Martha Stewart going to MIT and seeing a countertop surface that essentially was what Gaggenau is now making. I tried to find the article but couldn't locate it online.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I remember reading an article about ten years or so ago about Martha Stewart going to MIT and seeing a countertop surface that essentially was what Gaggenau is now making. I tried to find the article but couldn't locate it online.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

How do you tell it what temp for the area that the pan is on?

Definitely watch the video. It's unbelievable. Set down a rectangular griddle pan on the right of the surface, and a rectangular control button appears on the right side of the control screen. Set down a round pot in the upper left, and yes, suddenly a round control button appears. Move the round pot to the other side of the cooktop, and the control button moves with it.

Yowza.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Laxs, how many hours for this one when you want it?

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Sorry about the weird double post.

• laxsupermom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eandhl, I'm pretty sure the 36hrs would have to drop way down to somewhere around 5 and I just don't have the energy for that.

I read the post and thought, "well, that's neat," then watched the video and all other thoughts were pushed aside. It's that cool.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

I think I'm in love... 8-)

• macybaby
    13 years ago

You have me convinced - I'm NOT going to look. No use finding something I can't live without - better to remain in the dark!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

How much? Sigh.

• elba1
    13 years ago

If you had relatives with a pacemaker would you be at all apprehensive about using induction around them? I have heard that supposedly you would have to practically lay on the surface to experience ill effects, but I sure wouldn't want to find out otherwise the hard way!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Drats. We are just starting to plan a kitchen remodel and could incorporate one of these if it were available in the U.S. Now I'm pissed off at the idea of settling for what is available here when better technology is available. We can't afford to buy the U.S. version now and swap it out in a few years - that would be so wasteful.

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Small kitchen--don't have room for cooktop + oven and don't want to get on my knees to open an oven door.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

macybaby, should we have a pity party? I almost went with the Kenmore slide in last year but Sears has two prices. Regular price and $800 off. I gave up, bought my gas stove which I love (mostly) and I'm cooking and baking stuff I haven't made in YEARS. Maybe by the time these are mainstream I will have one. and maybe by that time my electricity will be dependable anough that I won't care if I don't have a gas stove in the house. Or maybe I will keep the gas stove and put it in the basement. Or maybe I will be in the Home by then and someone else will be doing my cooking. Oh, I hope not. I've eaten there before... YUK!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

This is really cool!

• rockybird
    13 years ago

Well goshdarnitall! I have one on hold for the new house. I feel stupid spending all this money if it's going to be obsolete as soon as it gets here.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I broke down and watched this, and then showed my husband.

He told me we are moving to Germany.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

You could start an export business sending these things back over here via FedEx!

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

--sigh-- I wish I could get my hands on an induction stove for a week, then I'd know if I wanted one. We are electric-not-gas here, but I am all about knobs and simplicity, and the sight of that touch pad reminds me a little too much of my i.p.o.d. Fine for surfing the net, but to me it doesn't seem intuitive for cooking. I would probably hate it at first, that's why I need one for a week.

But the zoneless (or whatever you call it) feature is TOO cool! Gah, it probably costs as much as all my appliances put together. But if I'm going to eventually get induction, might as well wait for one like this; makes much more sense than the ones with circles if you ask me.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH