Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlromin

Long, narrow space - island/peninsula redux

girlromin
10 years ago

(Etiquette question - Hope it's OK that I'm starting a new post to catch fresh eyes. Link to October post is below, with lots of history, but also lots of stray (lovely! but untenable) ideas.)

Four months have passed, and the design challenges remain. With gratitude for ideas from controlfreak, mama_goose, lav lass, sena & kaysd, I'd love to run a few variations past you. Two by me, the last the architect's current thoughts (note fridge location, with false wall created by broom closet.)

Quick summary: family of six, kids range from 7-12ish, forever house, 1910 poured concrete! Moving kitchen so kinda new construction, but bound by position of windows, walls, etc. Low ceiling - 8' - want open feel.

I've worked out a way to get the mud room I've always wanted -- oh, yeah, for $15,000! but that *buys* me some space in the eat-in kitchen for other stuff - no more cubbies, no more bowling alley (a judgement from October).

I've been thinking about how to shift the fridge, see what you think. Also I have the sink off center to preserve prep space to the left (or will I squeeze into what's left on the right? :-). Debating best size appliances. Eager for thoughts! THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful: My OP in October

Comments (14)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Well, I don't like your #2 or architect's plans as well as number 1 because any through traffic is forced to go through your space (I don't like people in my space)...

But, I wonder about the "ridiculous" factor of a small island. (Of course, I've contemplated the same for mine.

Have you tried to put the "peninsula" where the fridge is in your first 2 drawings (but with the fridge where the architect has it)?

Also, I think if you go with option 1, and do a movable island (that could be parked over by the HVAC chase, that might be more flexible and look less ridiculous, than a small built in one). Though, I am just not sure if it will look ridiculous either way.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Options 2 and 3 appear to have the back of the bar seating as the focal point when entering through the foyer or from the living room. They look like traffic blockers, and anyone sitting at the desk is in the way for people moving between family room and DR/kitchen.

I'd want the sink the middle of the triple windows, but that is a matter of personal preference (or OCD).

• User
    10 years ago

We finished a long, narrow (11'x25') kitchen for our family of six about two years ago. Our set-up is similar to your architect's drawing with a couple exceptions: instead of your table area, we have a banquette that seats four (used for most breakfasts and lunches); our dining room is where your family room will be (where we eat all suppers together); instead of the peninsula in your architect's plan we have a small movable work table with a couple stools, usually tucked against an empty wall a little closer to my range, but often pulled to the center to provide extra chopping space and keep wanderers out of the zone of busy knives and hot pots. (Also, alas, I don't have a whole wall of pantry cabinets, as our basement stairs encroach into that corner of the kitchen.)

I like our centrally located refrigerator, positioned where your architect has drawn it. Many things go straight from fridge to table in our house--milk, yogurt, a bowl of already-washed grapes, the salad and it's dressing that are waiting to be tossed at the last minute, etc. etc. Putting food away after a meal is effecient, too, with our food storage containers in a drawer under the coffee station counter. At the same time, a cook has a good path to take food from the fridge, across to the sink for washing before passing it into prep space toward the range.

None of your proposed layouts make it particularly easy to move food or dishes to and from your dining room. If you plan to eat in the dining room regularly you may wany to ensure there's enough "plunk space" on the counter closest to that doorway (another reason not to put your refrigerator right there.) I'd want more counter space to the left of the cooktop than shown in the architect's drawing, in any case.

Lastly, I have to agree with the comment that anyone sitting at the desk could block the doorway enough to make it uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

What about putting a bench up against where the prep sink and HVAC space are and putting a small (30" by up to 4') table there. Not counter height, but tables are convenient for some kitchen activities (shelling peas, trimming beans, kneading dough). The bench would both put the seating on the non-traffic side and keep chairs from being pulled out and becoming obstructions. You could add chairs on the kitchen side if you wanted more seating. It would project less into the kitchen than the peninsula and be less of an obstruction on the DR/LR traffic side. It would even smaller than your proposed island, but big enough to be functional.

I have a 30"x40" table in my kitchen with benches and find it to be just the right size for two people (I have the seating on the short ends). Four feet should accommodate 2 side-by-side

• girlromin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all - great ideas - thanks!

kirkhall - I know! It's the traffic flow that's bothering me. Below is an attempt to swap the peninsula. Do you think that's better? Pros: I can have my 36" cooktop with nice room on both sides. But does it feel like more of a one-cook kitchen (I'm hoping my kids will increasingly help)? Pantries are blocked. Should I flip the oven to open out to the south?

It does provide mnerg's "plunk space" (and even a nice buffet!) for the Dining Room (which we use maybe 25 times/year).

cindy - does that help with what you see as you enter? Would a 15" pantry/broom closet work on the HVAC wall? If I shift the sink to center of windows, I really cut down on prep to the left - I can live with this function over form, I think (Franke Orca sink, so already a bit swoopy and off-set). I think I can also live with the desk chair blocking the doorway to the FR. I don't see anywhere else to squeeze this into the house.

Mnerg - I'd love to see photos. I tried to google a reveal, but didn't find anything. Always great to hear from someone with the same challenges.

The other idea, of a moveable island intrigues me. I think lighting and electricity are the biggest challenges, but probably solveable. It could also mesh with cawaps idea of a bench along the HVAC wall with a table. I like the craftsman-like echo of a built-in bench . . . but I wonder if it's much different from the peninsula (it fixes the seating location) in terms of blocking the entrance (our stairs are in the foyer, so that entrance will be heavily used).

Much to ponder - many thanks.

• girlromin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I was really coming around to this last layout - a U-shape. But then I realized that it's only 5.5 feet across. Is that crazy for a family of 6?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Not crazy for the way yours is laid out.

We have a U-shape about the same width, family of 4 (3 of them over 6 feet tall). Fridge on one end, sink in the middle, range on the other leg. When everyone helps clear the table, it gets pretty cozy - though plastic containers are not close to the fridge or DW, which helps. In your case, you can have a couple of people ferrying dishes/food from the table; one or two putting away food and leftovers; one or two more at the sink and DW.

I don't think you have enough of an aisle for seating at the peninsula - it's only 40" wide. But that counter is still a useful baking station, with the oven there.

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I like the last iteration much better, although I agree with annkh that there may not be enough room for seating at the peninsula. The U shape works really well, though -- I know because it's so similar to mine. Keep the sink off center and you'll have a fantastic prep space between it and the cooktop. The fridge is much more convenient to the table AND to the cook. I love the wall o' shallow pantries too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my kitchen with a similar U

• girlromin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I'm feeling some love for the U-shape? After I got that idea, I obsessively searched U-shape vs. L-shape and variations and opinions are all over the map.

Maybe I could tuck a single stool on the end of the U if I round it (past the oven) I like to perch sometimes while I'm prepping and I like the idea of having at least one spot for a guest/child in the kitchen. Everyone else will have to go to the table.

justmakeit - I love your kitchen! So lovely and airy - makes me want white again! Thanks for the inspiration. I really like the way you lined up the faucet with the window.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I don't know if I love the U...I actually though about something very similar before I decided to take the wall down between kitchen and DR. I just started thinking about if I was serving in the DR - what a pain it would be to have to walk all the way down and around the peninsula to get to the stove for the next item. Or even to bring dishes in - you can't walk a straight line from the DR door to the cleanup sink.

Also, while prepping you realize you need something from the pantry - now you have to walk around the peninsula instead of just straight across.

I'm wondering why you need any seating space 'in' the kitchen? (maybe I've missed this b/c I haven't read every message in both posts). You have a big beautiful table right there for kids to do homework or friends to have a glass of wine while you cook - they'll be able to interact with you easily as you work in the kitchen. AND you have the desk with a seat. AND you have a DR - do you need island seating??? If you want a place to perch while you do some prep or read cookbooks, what about a little spot to tuck a stool under at the end near the table. Have you ever seen beekeeperswife's old kitchen? Look at the end of the run for a pretty little overhang...

• girlromin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are good points about the inconvenience when using the DR. But I figure if we use the DR 25-30 times a year (mostly eating at the table shown), I can get past the hassles IF it gives me a better day-to-day layout.

I guess I instinctively want seating right in the kitchen because it feels cozy. I do like that little nook in the picture you included.

I've also been wondering about the 14 feet between the cooktop and fridge. I'm not a slave to the triangle, but it recommends only 9 feet, and this layout requires lots of steps to grab butter for what's sizzling. (I think that's why the architect had shifted it into the kitchen.(

Kathy - if you don't like the U, which one seemed best? I think I found a photo of yours (lovely - similar choices to mine! :-) and it seems like a shallow U (but I can't tell what's on the other side of the fridge).

Keep the ideas coming - I have to have this nailed down in less than a month and I don't feel like I'm "there" yet. Thanks!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

I was liking the U shape until I read KathyNY76's post. The walk around would be incredibly irritating.

Question - do you use your dining room? Could the space be included in the kitchen foot print? Could the kitchen exterior wall be bumped out on the left?

You have a lot of doors - and I can attest from first hand experience how much wall space these suck up.

• girlromin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edited to delete duplicate. Whoops.

This post was edited by cucinamia on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 10:11

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I hear you on wanting seating in the kitchen. I tried and tried and finally decided against it. I just didn't have the space. And instead I have tons of well laid out prep space and I can talk to people at the peninsula/DR and - added bonus as a retired dancer - I have a large open floor space where I can do pirouettes and other steps! You may not need this option! :) But our layouts are actually pretty different - we don't have an eat in table at all - we do all meals in the DR - so not much help to you.

What about...
    Put the fridge on the sink wall - end of run by the table. Center the sink under the window. Put the DW on the right (between fridge and sink) and you'll likely have room for another cab/drawer there. Put the trash pullout to the left of the sink - that way it's in your prep area - and then work your way around the corner with various cabs/drawers - keeping the stove on the bottom wall. You could put your extra oven in a tall cabinet now on that wall, too, if you wanted (where you show the fridge i nyour first two plans on the first post)

I was set on putting my trash under the sink and KD talked me out of it - SO glad. In a family of six like yours, you need access to the trash that isn't under the sink and you'll have the space for it. (You need to get to it while the kids do the dishes after all! ;-) )

I'd keep the shallow pantries on the far wall.

Put the micro in that snack area. If the fridge is right across the aisle from it, you won't need to waste that storage space with an extra fridge drawer or a prep sink b/c you'll (I assume) have water at the fridge? I did not want water in my fridge but DH insisted - it is SO easy to fill the coffee carafe right there!! You can also use the kitchen end of that snack bar for the overhang to tuck a little stool under - I don't think you want anything protruding out into the kitchen in that area as it will totally block the view/flow from the front door.