Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

the other $5k duplex kitchen renovation

lovetorenovate
10 years ago

I still have a few more details to complete on this side - we've had so many problems with Lowes and our appliances. What we ordered never came in, they never communicated anything, the day before delivery we found out and we changed our order to take in stock items and after three or four attempts, we still do not have a fridge that fits the space that has the correct door swing.

Here's the almost finished reveal:

the floors on this side show more of the water stains on the pine. the other side of the duplex has dark walnut stain on the floor and the stains are harder to see. I kept the floors on this side light and although I like it elsewhere, I don't like seeing this much contrast in the floor color:

cabinets from the restore $595, baltic brown granite at 24.95/sf, retired knobs reused from my personal kitchen, faucet from overstock, appliances from Lowes (although I wish I had bought elsewhere).

Here's the before picture (and the stove is sitting across the room from the connection here, we had to move the electrical, we added gas and we ran ducting through the ceiling for a real exhaust vent).

I still need to build the small eat in area on this side. I have some extra cabinets I'll use to build a small banquette seating area.

Comments (12)

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Nicely done!
    What (if anything) do you plan to put above the sink?
    What did you do with the old, white cabinets? Were they in bad shape?

• lovetorenovate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the white cabinets ended up in the gray kitchen on the other side of the duplex (I posted pictures yesterday). I used the sink base there and one other lower cabinet. There are three of the white cabinets in the laundry room on the gray side also. I have two left that I'll use to build the banquette. They were actually in pretty good shape (no damage, not that old, but not very nice) - but I didn't like the layout or the countertops. Really the new cabinets are not what I'd pick if I had an unlimited budget either - I prefer full overlay frameless cabinets. Since I found these at the restore at such a great price, I decided to gut both kitchens.

That shelf is really intended to fill the space since I did not have any cabinets - and really wasn't a big fan of cabinets over the sink. it's very substantial - it's made from 2x4s and has 3/4 plywood on the top and bottom. If it were me living here (it's a rental), I'd probably store decorative bowls, colanders, etc.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

both projects are very well done for rentals. what market are these in?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

It looks great! What a difference leaving the open space over the sink, with the taller cabinets flanking, makes!

The water stains on my pine floor were not nearly as many nor as large, so the medium brown stain disguises them very well.

I wish that I had the ability to visualize possibilities the way you did. Good job!

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Wow, really great job! Those are beautiful cabinets and an unbelievable price.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

What a wonderful remodel! The kitchen is much more functional now, as well as being pleasing to the eye and senses. A shame you had such headaches with the appliances, but your overall upgrades certainly appear more than the $5k budget. You must be exhausted and rightfully proud.

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

Simply amazing! I'm floored by what you accomplished on such a small budget. Your tenants are going to count their blessings for having such a nice kitchen to cook in.

I missed your other reveal: off to go find it.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(so, I like the door swing of the fridge as pictured... did you want it like in the white picture? If so, why?)

I love what you've done on such a small budget. Renters should be pleased with both kitchens!

• lovetorenovate
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kirkhall - that was a fridge lowes brought out - 33.5" wide - it hangs out the doorway to the kitchen from the living room by at least an inch. Although larger is usually bigger in fridges - in this case, it's only a 2 bedroom one bath duplex - they don't need a huge fridge. I asked for 30" wide, give or take 1.5" - and that's what they brought out - just way too large. (what I ordered never came in - so I could only pick from their in stock merchandise). Each time they have brought out a fridge that is 30" wide, the door is not reversible. I bought this french door model at sears outlet yesterday - just need to get it there.

it's 30" wide, the door swing won't be an issue... and it was the same price at the sears outlet as the one lowes had charged me for. lowes picked up that fridge this afternoon.

this way I'll be able to build a cabinet surround for the fridge too.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Looks great. I'd put a rug on the kitchen floor and some bowls or other pottery above the sink...... Done.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Another great kitchen lovetoreno! You are obviously very talented. I'm impressed w/ the herringbone backsplash! That is not an easy one to do. Did you do it yourself? By the way, that Whirlpool is suppose to be a great fridge. Excellent job! If you're as good a landlord as you are a handy kitchen renovator, your tenants should be very happy!!!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I've been following your rental remodels, as that's next on my list to do. You've done a *marvelous* job; the price is just amazing!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath