Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formica FX

Posted by mss103 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 8:35

I thought I posted this last night, but now I don't see it. Anyway, I am doing a DIY facelift of my small kitchen next month. I went to a local kitchen dealer yesterday to look at laminate countertops, and saw the Formica 180 FX. They had one done in a marble style with a beveled edge that I immediately discounted when I looked at it because I was sure that it was stone and too expensive. So I took some of the sample sheets home with me.

There was no one in the store yesterday to give me any pricing info. I realize that without coming out and seeing what we are talking about, I can't get a truly accurate price, but I would like to get an idea of what it costs installed. I have 11 linear feet, and need a sink cutout. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formica FX

Installed, that'd be around $600-$700, depending on edge. If you ordered it and DIYed the install, it'd be around $300-$400, depending on which edge you picked.

o

Thanks! I'm not sure of the feasibility of DIY install, because I'm doing this without any help, so this is one thing I need the pro to do. Staining the cabinets, retiling the backsplash, paint. . .that I can do.

o

If it's a straight run, all you need is an extra set of muscles. It's simple.

o

I don't think anyone will confuse it will real stone upon close inspection and definitely not if they touched it. but for that price who cares!!!

o

I spoke with the college student who babysits for me, and she would be happy to lend muscle to the job for $50. Thanks for the advice, hollysprings!

Realism, no, if you inspect it closely you can see that it's laminate, and when you touch it, the first thing you notice is that it's not cold like natural stone. But for a fraction of the cost, you're right, who cares??? Plus, I like the look of it much better than most of the stone composites out there, which also cost much more.

o

Not only "who cares?", but it's a great material in and of itself. We had a white laminate for 40 years and I was rather tired of it, but under other circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to have it again. The only functional complaint I have against laminate is that it doesn't lend itself well to an undermount sink, and I do love my undermount sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here