Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toe kick drawers - worth it or a waste?

Posted by gemini16 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 8:27

Hi Everyone,

I posted a question a month or so ago and you all helped me along in my decision (going with creamy lacquered perimeter cabinets and wood island cabinets). So THANK YOU. I was totally stuck.

Now our cabinet maker is suggesting we add toe kick drawers. Do you have them and what can you actually store in them? While it's not much money to add, the total is adding up and several hundred here and there makes a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toe kick drawers - worth it or a waste?

I am curious about this too.

Also, how can you avoid the deep bend to reach down and pull a handle 2'' from the floor? Does anyone have toe kick drawers that you literally ''kick'' open and shut?

o

The toe kick drawers that I would get you do actually "kick" and the drawer pops open and then you can close it with your foot too. So no hardware required.

o

I wanted toekick drawers, but the cabinet maker discouraged me. I still wish I had them - additional space for small seldom used items, lightbulbs, batteries, flashlights, even a collapsible stool - the kind that lays flat. I should have insisted.

o

I talked with my contractor and like lucy's, mine didn't recommend them either. Now that I'm using the new kitchen, I'm glad I didn't insist. There is much more storage in my new kitchen anyway; in fact I've got empty space months after moving back in!

Also, you might want to consider your own age, preferences, how long you'll be in the house etc. For me, in my early 50s and not as limber as I once was and in a house I plan to be carried out of feet first....drawers at floor level aren't easily usable now or in the future. So the expense didn't justify the utility *for me*. As always, one's personal situation may justify a different conclusion. But that was mine.

o

Sounds like a bunch of people without toe kick drawers :).

I will never have a kitchen, bathroom or closet without them. They are some if the best storage options in the world! I love them and I have them in all of those locations.

What do I keep in them.....platters and baking sheets, candles, lightbulbs, lids, my favorite....trash compactor bags, the dogs soft food dish (slide out to feed and slide it back in when done) jewelry, fancy purses, place mats gad anything under 3" tall really. All of mine are full and I love them.

I have some that are hidden so you open by the skirt which just looks like trim. I just push those to open. But the ones I use the most have a nice handle that I can (as can dh) just tuck my toe under and pull out. They're just deep pulls basically. I'm on the iPad which makes it hard to post pics but if you want to see this they are in the thread on end panel dishwashers.

They all have soft close bluhm rails etc and open quite easily. Honestly they're worth twice what you pay for them! I'll never be without them again even in a huge kitchen or bath they are fab storage for the small stuff! I have one full of bars of soap even...no end to their uses!

o

I think a 'kick' one might be good for one of those 'steps' to reach a higher shelf - shelf 2 for me -lol!

I always thought that area was were the mice live tho...

or 1 or 2 might be good (no handle) for secret hiding of valuables like - jewelry. be sure it's in a firmly attached container tho so the mice don't cart it away...
and be sure a close - trustworthy family member knows or it might be sold with the house at your 'estate' sale!

o

I have them as well and love them too However, my cabinets were custom built and the toe kick area of the cabinets was incorporated into the bottom drawers making them deeper.

This is my can storage

Can Storage

and this is how they look from the side:

Photobucket

Excuse the dust, these were taken during construction. These open by just hooking your toe under the trim and pulling. You can push them shut with your foot as well.

o

Hi. To figure it out, you must stand at the kitchen sink for a few minutes. Rinse some dishes, wipe the sink, then look where your feet are. If you're standing close and your feet are under the lip, it shows you need a toe kick. Because without it, you may end up with back problems.

Anyways, please visit this: bar stools

thanks!

o

What's with that link, huh?

o

I'll just be upfront and say I don't like them.

However. Sometimes I DO spec them for clients who have really small kitchens (or maybe the clients just saw them somewhre and fell in love). But when I do I ask for them to be like Loves2cook46's above. The drawers are deeper so I feel like they are more flexible, you aren't necessarily having to reach down as far as traditional toekick drawers and one of the best part of love's drawers though is that the handle can be out there on display with all the other handles.

So when I do them, I do them that way.

Lovely as always!

o

Wow! Those drawers with extra inches in the bottom must be a godsend for the owners! Thanks for a great idea I can tell someone else about. As for me and my house, we're stuck without them.

Thanks for photos, loves2cook4six!

o

My DH and I went to see them today. I could take or leave them but DH thinks it's a very efficient use of space and at $33 extra/cabinet, we'll be adding them. I can see value for things like platters and plates we use for summer parties and christmas (different set of course). Thanks for all the feedback. One more decision made!

o

I love Loves' cabs and toekick drawers so much that I am having my kitchen done by the same cab company. They will be ready the first week in March. Getting toe kick drawers too.

o

I have always loved loves :) But here are mine anyhoo..

Photobucket

Photobucket

The ugly mat is gone (DH kept taking it out of the trash so I fed it to a moose):
Photobucket
These are touch open:

Photobucket

By the way, the space is sealed. You're not just sliding the drawer into an open abyss (at least not in mine). No mice (not to mention, if you have that big of an issue with mice they're in your lower and upper cabinets as well likely).

She likes them:
Photobucket

o

Thankyou, Igloochic. The photos are very helpful. And I love the moose! I'm in NH and we've seen them out in the swampy area behind the house but never that close and personal. Very cool.

o

Igloochic and Loves2cookfor6, those are really great photos. What a wonderful way to use space efficiently! I love that you fed the mat to a moose, Igloochic. My husband once kept taking this one particular thing back out of the garbage after I repeatedly threw it away, but finally I took it out on garbage day after he left for work. I wish I had a handy moose around, or a goat! :o)

o

I wish we had moose so I could feed them things that I don't want (g). My husband takes things out of the trash too - what is that - a guy thing??

o

Great ideas for more storage! Thank you so much. I've thought about including toe-kick drawers but wondered what I would store in them. I especially like the idea of including them with the drawer above so I don't have to stoop quite so far to get something out. And with 2 large dogs and a cat, there's always pet hair on the floor no matter how often I sweep. Including the space in the drawer above hopefully will mean pet hair won't get into the drawer, which has always concerned me with toe-kick drawers.

o

The ugly mat is gone (DH kept taking it out of the trash so I fed it to a moose)

Igloochick - that might be one of the funniest things I have read here. My DH is the same way. I just wait until he's gone for the weekend.

As for toe kick drawers - I am all about the Ikea hack to make them; I can think of lots of stuff to keep in a shallow drawer like that!

o

Hmm, igloo, maybe you could start a new line of children's books: If You Give a Moose a Mat. :)

o

I thought you were kidding about the moose! Those husbands are such pack rats...they save everything! But since its valentines day, I'll cut him a break and wait until tomorrow to re-throw some things away...

o

I wanted toe kick drawers in my island, but I let the cabinetmaker talk me out of them. He was so against them-things would get dusty, hard to reach them, yada yada yada. Now I wish I'd have stood my ground. I think they'd be the perfect place to store the extra oven racks when I'm making something big, like a turkey. He also insisted that there wasn't room for a shallow drawer under my cooktop--but in actuality, there was. It's not that big of a deal, I have a lot of storage space anyway, but it bugs me that I let myself be talked out of 'em.

So, moose are kind of like goats? In that they'll eat pretty much anything? Wow, you learn something new every day.

:-)

Cj

o

I love the moose.

o

Love the moose!

One word of caution...
I'm glad I didn't go for them. It would have been a disaster.
Turns out in my old house (1916) the floor sloped a good 1.5" from one end of the cab run to the other. GC ended up cutting off some of the cabinet bottoms so that we could have level counters. The 1.5" diff isn't noticable in the toe kick at all, but drawers would have been funky with one side shorter than the other :)

o

igloochick,
You mentioned yours are sealed.
How?
Do they have a bottom under them, as though they were another inside drawer?

I'm building my own and have a serious mouse problem -- 4 cats who think they're animated toys and a dog who shares her bowl with them. My house isn't sealed, so if I can at least seal a cabinet, all the better.

Thanks!
Christine

o

I know its a year later but I was hoping to get some info from peeps that have toe kick drawers or deeper drawers that utilize that "kick" space. I would very much like to have some but the cabinet company that I was looking at does not have them. I see that loves2cook4six's are from Ayr Cabinetry. Anybody else? ---as for the coment : By the way, the space is sealed. You're not just sliding the drawer into an open abyss (at least not in mine). No mice (not to mention, if you have that big of an issue with mice they're in your lower and upper cabinets as well likely).--- And your pantry and your countertops and maybe under the butter lid, cleaning up the toaster crumbs :)

o

Also igloochic Being the moose and duck hunter/eater that I am I love those drawer pulls! The moose especially. They appear to be good quality, no?

o

Igloo - love the moose - hope it didn't come in for breakfast.
Gemini16 (from A2gemini) - I wish I heard of them and put one under my oven stack to store my trays for the advantium.

o

I didn't get my toekick drawers :( Dang budget constraints (cheaper cabinet line=fewer options).

Still with I had them...and a DH's-college-notebook-eating moose.

o

For those of you wishing you had done toe kick drawers, I have seen posts about retrofitting them in.

How to Build Under-Cabinet Drawers

Toe kick drawers for IKEA cabinets

o

Love mine!

o

where can you buy these drawers?
We are about to purchase base cabinets RTA Conestoga cabinets, and I thought as long as we are putting them together, we could add a couple toe kick drawers.

I'm going with flush toe on all my lowers except the kitchen sink.
All I do is clean dust and dog hair from under there. The flush bottoms will be easier to keep clean.

o

What a wonderful idea to add more storage! My only concern would be in cleaning the floor with the drawers so low. I would love to have toe kick drawers for my table placemats and for other storage items!

o

In a tiny kitchen, every bit of space makes a HUGE difference. It really depends on how storage-stressed you are.

o

I am having toe kick drawers put in. My cabinet maker had not done them before, but agreed to do them for me.

He was trying to use a touch latch, but is finding that it won't pop the drawer out far enough for me to grab the drawer from the top - I'd have to grab it from the side (which might be a challenge in some areas).

So we are considering two other options:
1) installing a small knob or handle towards the top so that it won't be too noticable
2) cutting a groove into the top of the drawer/face plate that you can insert your finger and pull the drawer out. My concern with this is that it would allow more dust into the drawer.

Thoughts?

o

"Also, how can you avoid the deep bend to reach down and pull a handle 2'' from the floor? Does anyone have toe kick drawers that you literally ''kick'' open and shut?"

Even if you don't have to bend down to "open" the drawer you will have to bend to get the contents out, so not sure this really matters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here