Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did you choose paint for cabinets?

Posted by maggie530 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 8:25

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to order my kitchen cabinets. We are using Dutch Haus out of Sarasota, based on their work for another Gardenwebber. I can't believe her name escapes me this morning, but thank you to her!

Here are my questions:
1) How do you choose which white to paint them? Do you find your countertop first and try to match a color to it?

2) Our cabinets will go to the ceiling with crown. The kitchen is open directly (no dividing wall) to other rooms. Does that mean that the kitchen cabinets, crown on the kitchen cabinets, and crown in the other rooms all have to be the same color? If not, how would you transition the two different color crowns?

Thank you :)
Maggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did you choose paint for cabinets?

I'd start the paint color search with your fixed elements. So that is probably the floor, then I'd consider other elements that you know you want to use. For instance our floor was existing but the first thing we picked out was a backsplash that we absolutely fell in love with (I don't think this is the usual order of things). Then I backtracked and picked out a white that worked with our floors and the backsplash. If you have your heart set on particular counters, then that would be a good element to use.

I'm sorry I can't be of help with your second question. Decisions like that are why I'm sometimes happen that we don't have an open concept house. I guess I would try to keep the crown all the same and perhaps that will drive your color choice a bit more.

o
RE: How did you choose paint for cabinets?

Thanks. I have read through dozens of GW discussions on the "right white" but I feel like with walnut floors I need a warmer white and with the countertop we're leaning toward - Calcutta Macaubus I need a cooler white.

I think I need to pick my slab and match the paint to that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here