Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Layout - for Review

Carrie B
10 years ago

Hi,

Here's the overall deal w/ me & my kitchen:

-Live alone, 48, don't cook much (but use micro)

-Plan to stay in house for as long as I can - probably until I can no longer make it up my steep steps (unless the man of my dreams FINALLY shows up & sweeps me off my feet & takes me away from all of this.)

-Small (total footprint: 12' x 25') rowhome - kitchen area is 8x12. There's an adjoining house on the fridge side - a side lot garden on the other, plus a small backyard.

-I garden for a living & for love - garden access & view are paramount. Want easy access to sink from door (walk in from garden some 27 times a day in-season, and wash hands @ sink, and also a drawer convenient to door for garden gloves & pruners - things that will go in & out with me.

I'm not technologically savvy, and my use of the IKEA Home Planner is iffy at best. I'll include some explanatory info:

Basic first floor layout w/ proposed kitchen: Along the left hand side, I have a few objects for explanation. Going back, the first big "box" is actually the stairwell going up. I didn't know how to draw in stairs, but it gives a sense of how much the steps jut into the house.

The second "box" is the basement landing. Third is the fridge.

The front door (not shown) is in the bottom right corner, and the big blank area in the drawing is my living room.

Here you can see the proposed new window & door. I'd like to be able to look outside while dining. Here, you can see the basement steps & landing on the left.

Here you have a view of the peninsula, looking toward the front door (not drawn.) As drawn, the peninsula is 72" (pretty much same as existing peninsula) I'm considering shortening it by about 12", but not sure of best way to do that. As drawn, the peninsula has a bank of drawers, a 24" sink cabinet (did not know how to draw in the actual sink) an 18" DW, and another 15" bank of drawers. I am left-handed & originally wanted the DW to the left of the sink, but think that might put the sink too far out on the peninsula. Originally thought to put an upper over the peninsula - against the wall in order to unload DW - but I hate to give up the window space. Also not 100% convinced of getting a DW at all (haven't had one in 20 years & have not missed one.)

A view of the "steps wall." This I'm not really sure about at all. Maybe I should put in a corner w/ counter & cabinets all going around that corner? Thought about a tall pantry back there, but, again, not sure what to do @ corner & access. Also have not yet decided what I'm going to do @ cooking appliances. Currently have a 30" gas range - rarely use oven, use stove (a burner, maybe two) to cook eggs/boil water. May end up with a cooktop & convection microwave & that's it for cooking. Am thinking that somewhere in this general area, between the window & the fridge makes sense for microwave (or convection micro,) coffee maker & toaster oven.

View of proposed back wall. Existing window (would be raised up to counter level.) Here, I've got a 24" range drawn in - just to the right of the window - again, have not yet decided what to do about cooking appliances. Also not sure about right hand back corner cabinetry/countertop. Seems like an awkward place for counter space - may just go w/ a high cabinet - but a little countop to the right of range/stovetop is helpful, right? Also, when door is open (assuming in-swing, and it will be open most nice days when I am home) it will block whatever is in that corner. I'm also figuring that dishes/glasses will be kept there - not super-convenient to the DW, but I'm betting I'm likely to run DW maybe once a week...

View from front door:

Any thoughts or advice you've got is welcome - feel free to browse through my Photobucket library - I have lots of photos of existing kitchen/first floor. You've all been an absolute godsend & I am so grateful.

This post was edited by carrieb on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 12:24

Comments (15)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You all have been so helpful, I'm wondering why I have not gotten one response here. Have I worn out my welcome? Did I seem unappreciative? Is there something I should be doing differently to engage all your talented & insightful help?
    Thanks,
    Carrie

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'm not a layout expert but I find it hard to see you photos/layout. Can you post the layout directly and make it larger? I was trying to see your layout but ended up looking at your cats, LOL. Your layout is much too tiny for me to read.

I know everyone loves design programs but honestly the easiest to read layouts are done on graph paper, except for buehl who does them in powerpoint (no one does them like she does)

It seems a little slow here this week. My advice is always make things easy for people. Most do not like having to click on things to open them up.

Attached is a thread on getting more responses.

Here is a link that might be useful: getting more responses

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I'm just confirming what debrak said above. My eyes aren't as good as they once were, and your Ikea program images are impossible for me to read, even if I click through to enlarge them. Could you take a sheet of graph paper and draw a floorplan of your kitchen? Use 1 square for every six inches on the floor. Draw it in sharpie so it's nice and dark. Then you can either scan it or take a photo of it and post it here with your questions. I'm guessing you'll get a much bigger response. Good luck!!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding, Debrak!

Click on the photos and they get big!

I will re-post the layout I posted on graph paper.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my graph paper layout:

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

In your OP of this thread they get bigger but not big enough for many of us and I have my reading glasses on : )

The graph paper is better.

I can't say I see anything I would do differently. Hopefully some experts will jump in soon. Don't hesitate to bump this again if needed.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Hi Carrie, I would like to help, but not sure what would help. I’m not sure where you’re at, at this point. I also could not get much out of the photos of that IKEA program that you posted. From your post above, it almost sounds like you are starting over again at the beginning and hoping for some entirely new idea.

I think if you are stuck, instead of more ideas and suggestions, it could be that making some key decisions might help you move forward. People can help you figure out how to get the most out of your space, but the decisions about what you want are yours.

Maybe you could explain more about what you are trying to do and where the problem is and you might get more responses. Ask more specific questions for what you need help with because for me at least, your request for more thoughts or advice is too broad a question.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, debrak and prairiemoon.

Maybe it would make sense if I separate out my areas of question in future posts - into separate threads. I'm pretty much set & decided on basic layout, but there are certain areas I'm unsure of. I tried to post the ikea photos of each area that I had specific questions about, but understand that those photos aren't easy to understand.

So, maybe I'll start some new threads with the questions separated, and with those particular areas drawn out larger on graph paper?

Thanks so much for your responses.
    Carrie

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Yes, separate specific questions are good. Title the threads accordingly. Many here want to help but often time is limited and threads with specific titles and questions seem to get faster attention. Unless its something like "does anyone have xxx granite?" and no one has it.

I just reread you OP in this thread and see you have a question about whether to have a DW or not. I missed this the first time I read it.

Don't give up!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, debrak. I also see that it was difficult to understand what was a question for you all (what to do about my fridge wall, for instance.) And what were questions that I just really have to decide for myself (like the DW question.)

So, this morning, I'm looking again at my design & trying to figure stuff out & see what specific questions I have for all of you. Thanks so much.

There's just so much to consider - and this is so new to me that I am both excited & overwhelmed.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Sometimes it helps just to post a question. By writing it out and posting it, it helps clarify it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

It can be very overwhelming! I found at times I had 'Analysis Paralysis'. A very common condition for many people. [g]

On the question of whether to have a DW or not….I think in a small space, you have to prioritize what is important to you and weigh that against what is usually expected in a kitchen. If you rarely cook and only make an egg once in awhile as you've mentioned before, then maybe you don't have a need for a lot of storage in the kitchen. Not for a lot of items that people who cook have. Like a lot of pans or baking equipment, large bowls, a lot of utensils, spices, etc. If so, then it might be that you have room for a dishwasher. If it is not going to take the space of something that is really important to you, you may as well add it.

It might help you to make a list of what you want in your kitchen. Just what YOU want and think you need without considering what is a 'standard' kitchen and what is expected. Then take your list and see if it is included in the layout you're now working with. Then if you have everything you want and need, like the refrigerator, the window you wanted, the door in the place you wanted, then you can see if you still have space to add what is standard.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Great ideas for how to proceed. I would add that you also need to consider how long you'll likely be in your home when making decisions regarding what is standard/expected vs what YOU want. Kitchens seem to be deal makers or deal breakers for a lot of people shopping for homes. A unique kitchen design or addition/lack of a critical element makes a difference.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I also can't read your floorplans, even when I click to expand them.

Do you have PowerPoint? You could map out the floor plan on a slide, as large as possible (with dimensions) and then Save As a jpeg file.

An alternative is to zoom in on your Ikea planner image before taking the screen shot. Then open the screen shot in something like Paint to crop out all the extraneous stuff that no one needs to see but takes up so much space in the image. Or download a free screen capture tool that will let you capture just the part of the screen that you want.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

When you click on a photo and it brings you to the Photobucket account, I found it wasn't showing the photos, but if you click on the magnification circle in the lower right corner of where the photo was supposed to show, it brings it up.