Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

Going tile shopping again

macybaby
13 years ago

Last weekend I thought I found the perfect backsplash tile - all set to order, then I started having second thoughts . . . I loved it, but not enough for what it costs.

So today DH and I are heading to town again (70 miles away) and DH scouted out and found four tile shops with good selections we can look at. He's already up and getting ready to go - and he will make breakfast too.

You may wonder how I got DH to be excited about tile shopping? There's a gun show going on this weekend and I agreed to go to that this afternoon (it's large and rather crowded) if we could go in early and look at tiles first.

He'll be on good behavior too - he knows if he whines at me at the tile shops, I'll whine at him at the gun show!

Comments (15)

• prill
    13 years ago

Good luck - any idea what you're looking for this time? This is the Winchester Tile in Sudbury which would be really pretty with your beautiful soapstone.

• skyedog
    13 years ago

Prill,
    Your backsplash was the inspiration for me to look at (and eventually purchase) Winchester tiles. They are even prettier in person. I can't wait for my order to arrive.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Good luck. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

• prill
    13 years ago

skyedog - thanks! That's so nice to hear. That's why this forum is so great - there's so much exposure to things you might not see or envision. What did you end up getting.

• skyedog
    13 years ago

prill,

I went with their Arcadian line ( 5" square crackle tiles) and am going to do Lace, Teal and Danube in a random pattern, which ends up being not like yours but it has been a very long backsplash journey.

• prill
    13 years ago

Skyedog, those will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics!!!

• macybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's the shininess of the Winchester tile that is bothering me. I really liked it when I saw one tile, but then I found pictures online of a wall of it, and it's really shiny! And with the uneven surface, it causes all sorts of reflections so while it's totally cool looking, I just don't "see" it working in my kitchen. I also think I want to stay away from the square tiles.

We had picked out the Arcadian in Teal. The color is perfect with the soapstone, but I'm not sure if I want it for the whole kitchen look. I'd put it in my bathroom in a heartbeat though -

On a good note, I found a tile that will work perfect to replace the brown I have in the floor insert. My husband kept saying "That's going to be a lot of work to replace" and I kept asking why he was worried, he's not going to have to do any of the work. The closes he comes to helping with tiling projects is carrying boxes in the house, or cleaning out buckets after I'm done.

• macybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here I thought I had the floor problem settled - salesman called today - supplier is out of stock and does not know when they factory will be making more - could be 3 -4 months!

Salesman refused to give me the tile info so I could look for it elsewhere. It's one of those that the wholesaler rebrands and I've found nothing based on what was on the display card.

I'm about to the point of taking out the inset all together and putting in field tiles. I am worn out from all this and want to be done.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Macybaby,

Describe what you're looking for and maybe someone here has an idea.

• macybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was pretty open-minded to start with - something that would help tie the floor and soapstone together. Started out looking for a green, but could not find any and decided a deep near black worked OK. The one I was going to go with was near black with a hint of green. It matched the darkest greens in the soapstone, but would have looked very dark against the cream floor tile. The good part is it looked like it would have worked with the border I had.

Today we ran to Menards to get more oak boards - and I walked through the tile area and found this.

I never looked at Menards - I'm there so often I assumed I'd seen everything they had and believed they had nothing that would work . . . I will need to find a different border but I'm OK with that - I've already seen plenty that will work and then I can easily use the same thing on the backsplash. This tile is exactly the same size and thickness as what is on the floor already.

NOTE: The cream tile is not that yellow/orange in person, I think something is not set correct on my camera.

Here is a more accurate picture of the color - taken over a year ago with my old camera.

I already decided the green on the wall was "too much" I think with the green on the floor I can put beige subway tiles on the wall and have it look fine. I may have to pull out some beige wall paint and try that for a while.

It might not be "perfect" but at $1.53 a foot, I think I could learn to live with it. I'll think about it for a while - at least getting this at Menards, I can take back what I bought if I change my mind.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

And while you're waiting, come help me tile my bird cubby! It's not very big; maybe 4 ft wide, 2 ft. deep and a bit over 36in. tall. I have the tile, mastic and grout. Need the kick in the pants to start and the incentive to lay it out on the floor so I know what I can do for a pattern. Oh,, and we'll be doing the ceiling, too. Subways from Menard's.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I like that tile way better than the original. The colors look weird on my monitor (red grout lines), but I like what I'm visualizing in my mind.

Pinch, you're tiling a ceiling???

• momtofour
    13 years ago

macybaby, What backsplash tile did you decide on? I saw the picture on babushka_cat's thread and really like it!

Did you do the floor yet, or are you doing that after the backsplash?

• macybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you saw that thread, then you know I'm installing the backsplash today. Ended up changing directions on color choices with something that matches the floor. Painted the walls a different color and it changed everything so I think it's going to work without having to replace the floor after all (which DH was strongly against, though I'd do all the work).

I still have the tile I was considering putting in the floor, but I think with this I won't need to (from HD so I can return it).

Ended up with subway from HD. It's a matte finish - which was one of the harder things to find as almost all the ceramic is high gloss (don't want any alien reflections in MY kitchen LOL!)

It might not be exactly what I hoped to find, but I started thinking that does not exist. This is cheap and I figured cheap and not quite ideal was sure better than expensive and not quite ideal. Sure wish my bathroom needed new tile as I fell in love with tile several times. Was a real challenge not to run off with one instead of keeping rooted in the over-all look I wanted for the kitchen.

Made really good biscuits yesterday. My husband says he doesn't care what the backsplash looks like if I keep making biscuits like that.

• momtofour
    13 years ago

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see the finished product. I hadn't seen any more about the floor, so wondered what you had decided. I picked up one of those subway tiles at HD and thought what you chose looked like it. I really liked the way it looked all layed out and now I may have to try it. Now I'm excited for me, lol! I really need cheap, too, at this stage of the game. I am entering Nursing school in the fall.

Who knew biscuits could get you a backsplash? lol