Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisef05

Need under cabinet lighting help ASAP

denisef05
14 years ago

My cabinets are already here and I just found out from the electrician that the xenon undercabinet lighting is one inch thick while my upper cabs only have 3/4 inch underneath. I do NOT want to see the lights even though it is white cabinets and white lights. I don't really want to mess up my new custom cabs by adding a piece of trim either.

What are my options? Need help, please!

Will Xpost in lighting. TIA.

Denise

Comments (8)

• lzrj
    14 years ago

3/4 inch trim on the cabinets seem pretty thin. My trim is almost 2 1/2 inches thick underneath. I think it would be hard to find lights that are thinner than 3/4 inch. I think I remember seeing some LED lights that are pretty thin. There is also the rope LED lights that would probably work. You could also have your cabinet guy come back out and put thicker trim under the cabinets to make the lights you have work. Cant think of any other options.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Go into a high supply electrical store. I saw strip lights, almost like dots on a tape that are used for undercabinet lighting. They are expensive, but give off a lot of white xenon light.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Check out Kichler's Linear Lighting (tracks/wiring with clip-on lampholders/bulbs). You can get all the different parts (tracks, wiring, clips, holders....) in either black or white. It's very low-profile and gives nice, even lighting.

FYI, specify the newer lampholders if you do get it--the older ones installed by our electrician 3 years ago were terrible (had to jiggle a bunch of them in order for them to light). Kichler replaced all of ours with the newer ones and they work great.

• pegasuslighting
    14 years ago

I have the same situation. My cabinets have a 3/4-inch trim. I used low-profile xenon under cabinet lights in my kitchen. While the lights are not completely hidden they are "hidden enough" for me.

Full disclosure - I work for Pegasus Lighting. The link I have attached to this post is for a blog post I wrote on our blog about my under cabinet lighting. I have pictures of my under cabinet lighting so you can see if they would work for you or not.

Here are some other suggestions that may work for your situation.
    - LED rope light
    - LED under cabinet task light
    - Xenon low voltage light strip
    - You could recess puck lights under your cabinet
    - Microfluorescent lights (these are very low-profile and we had a customer install these lights on the actual trim piece instead of under the cabinet - so the light was pointing towards the backsplash - it was a very good use of this product)

Good luck with your kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Xenon Low Profile Under Cabinet Task Lights blog post

• denisef05
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am calmer now.. :)

I'll check them all out except for the puck lighting option. I think pucks would look bad with black granite counters--don't want those circles of light!

Denise

• studio460
    14 years ago

T5 fluorescent strips are 0.75" x 1.5" so they would fit, mounted sideways. T5s are very efficient and put out a lot of light, even though the light would be indirect. I have a bunch of 'em mounted sidways in aluminum channels, bounced into the ceiling--plenty of light. Check reflections in your backsplash by either holding up, or temporarily taping in-place, any fluorescent light you may have around the house to see if there is a distracting reflection of the light source itself.

I bought mine online from lightingxp.com because they're one of the few vendors which sell grounded versions of these lights (most are ungrounded, two-conductor fixtures). They have aluminum housings that are light gray, and appear to have decent build quality. They also sell metal junction boxes made especially for these fixtures for hardwire installations (they come with standard Edison plugs). They come with bulbs, and you have a choice of three color temperatures, from warm to cool.

• piaa
    14 years ago

Here is a link to my post re: our tiny under cabinet lights :) Hopefully we will get them installed this weekend as we now have the transformer

Piaa

Here is a link that might be useful: Our

• denisef05
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, studio460. Unfortunately, I can't test anything since my kitchen is currently gutted to the studs with nothing in it.

Piaa, those are so tiny! If you get them installed this weekend, please post! Thanks.

Denise