Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Window Suggestion- Similar look for less?

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

We are doing pricing on our Kitchen Project and our GC says the arch window may not be in our budget-- that's it's a custom Anderson window and is very expensive. (I don't' know the number yet but will find out). I'm still hoping I'll be able to use it because it's been in my HEAD for six months!!!

Anyway, in case it doesn't I wanted to ask if any of you knew if another manufacturer makes a similar window that isn't custom? Or, if you have an idea of how I can get a similar look for less?

Of course, I'll be discussing with GC in the next week or two but it's always good to get info here first! : ) Thanks!

Comments (40)

• skyedog
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kohlbe makes arched windows in several of their lines. They call them segment heads. Their site is hard to navigate so the link is to a different site that shows some of the options. We put in Kohlbe and Kohlbe windows and are very happy. If you order a more "standard" length window (you order them semi custom) it will be cheaper. Make sure to work with someone who knows the company and lines. They make a very good window for the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: kohlbe segment head

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

That was one of my inspiration photos too!!! Many of the manufacturers make these segment head windows--even in all vinyl (see link below). What window brand have you decided to use for the rest of the house?

Here is a link that might be useful: PlyGem All Vinyl Arch/Segmented Arch Window

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I would go for it anyway and compromise elsewhere.

That is a gorgeous window. Much of it is the trim, too. Make certain you get that!! :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Just doing an arched valance would fit your house.

You aren't going back to your bad ways, are you?

• angel411
    12 years ago

Here's what we did to get the arch look with out arch windows...don't know if it would fit your plan.

• skyedog
    12 years ago

I guess it's a little early. I managed to misspell Kolbe four times in my first post.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

lol Marcolo!

Fishies, I think most window manufacturers make these arched windows at many different price points. Wait to decide-slash-panic after you get some solid numbers? :-)

I don't know if you're enthused about things like CraigsList or Habitat for Humanity's Restore, but I have personally seen about 3 of these brand new arched window sets go by in the past year at mine, all at a very substantial discount from contractors who misordered them, etc. That may be worth digging into in your area?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- Did you call my GC so we don't get that window??? lol

Thanks everyone! I'm going to research some ideas. : ) I don't know much about windows so the websites are confusing. I'll see what I can do and yes we'll wait for solid numbers.

I'd be fine with CraigsList. I never looked for home things- more like children's items. I sold some baby items as well. I guess there's a housewares section.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- I would love to get a big arched window like that, over my banquette (not enough room over the sink). PLEASE let me know, if you find any good deals :)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Have you seen kateskouros' kitchen? She has beautiful windows that are large and highlight her sink area.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What do you all prefer for a window above the sink as far as function? I hate raising windows up and down b/c it's hard to reach them. I would think turn outs (casement?) or Gliding windows would be nice.

Other than the arch, anyone have pics of window ideas? We're planning about 6' of window. I wouldn't want the wood (stile?) in the center but maybe with 3 windows we'd get around that.

Also, grid or no grid?

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Angel, your arch is ingenious and attractive. It adds a great deal of interest architecturally and is successful in using mod lines in a room with some traditional molding and trims. It invites and yet presides. Gives the room (and the cook?) authority. Nice work!

2LittleFishies, are you looking for drama, sunlight, the window look on the exterior of house, an arched line in kitchen, or a counterpoint to something elsewhere?

One factor I hadn't thought about with twin crank casements at sink--how awkward it is to use them. We've made the sink area a mild bumpout into the room and I've got plants back there. Casements require crank access and leverage. Esp. hard if you're weak or arthritic. Doublehungs require upper arm strength and leverage, which is tough for older and shorter people. Awning windows are actually easier to crank than casements--I think it's the physics--and standard-sized awning windows combined with standard-sized non-openables can be worked up to advantage. (I now wish I'd put in a single non-openable window at sink instead of two very wide casements and just relied on the other windows in room for breeze.)

I agree with Marcolo that you can do interesting things with valences. Fabric or wood or painted wood/MDF. Sometimes there are more ideas of this sort shown in decorating books or window treatment catalogs than in kitchen mags and catalogs and books.

Have you looked into bay windows, bump outs on outside, or other combos that can be made with standard sized (much cheaper) windows?

I suspect the custom window in photo will be $2500 to $3500, maybe more. Add to that the cost of custom trim on inside and the cost of skilled installation into your siding. A quality bay window with openables abt 6 feet wide x abt 4 feet was quoted to me at $1500 or so if I recall, with vinyl on outside and wood on inside. Adding another foot in width put me over $2000. Don't quote me...my memory is not good. This didn't include installation or planning the modifications to the soffit at roofline or the support system used for cantelevering the bump-out. Different depths of bumpout and different standard angles of the bay can change the cost radically. (Custom angles are cost-prohibitive for most of us. I talked to a construction guy who built his own bay window to maximize window area; he now sez that it was a total mistake, that the screwy angle made everything else overly difficult and time consuming.)

One of the problems with Craig's List and construction recycling outlets is that they almost never have what you want RIGHT NOW. If you have lots of patience, they can be great but it's tough to schedule serendipity and it really upsets the labor and management aspects of a kitchen project. I live in what Sen. Franken calls the "Silicone Valley of Windows"--Minnesota. We have many manufacturers here and in adjacent states. There are discount outlets close by. But when we ask the "is it guaranteed?" question, you don't always hear "Yes." Crappy windows will haunt a house until you get rid of them, plus the resultant damages that sometimes occur; there's an ugly reason for some of the Craigslist and construction recycle joint window offerings.

This might be a moment to return to the Sweeby Test and a heart-to-heart with all responsible adults.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree about angel's arch! It looks fantastic! I also see that perhaps the arched valance would be enough to give that look that I love. I've also seen some standard windows that have a fixed arch above. Perhaps that is less expensive?
    I'll have to scan some photos in.

Florantha, how big are your casement? They are difficult to open? Do you think it's b/c of the bump out then? We won't be bumping out b/c our patio is right outside the window. Also we are planning a bay window in the dining area so I think two would be overkill.

I was thinking maybe even a fixed center window with two side windows that swing out... Or what about the glider windows?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS- To answer your question I definitely want light and I just loved the drama of the arch. Not worried about the outside too much.

The arch was in my original inspiration but these are my new inspiration photos... I am still using the same pendants as in the original photo with a walnut island top on white island.

This looks like a sliding window, no?

• angel411
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the compliments on the arch. It actually came about as a way to keep the uppers from being stuck on the wall with nothing above. I wanted more of a built-in look, and we couldn't afford to take them all the way to the ceiling, so we got creative with framing and drywall. It was a new build.

The 2 windows on each side are casement roll out windows. The middle one behind the sink is fixed. I'm 5'2" and do have to stand on my tip toes to stretch across the counter to open them. But I would not do anything differently- I open them all the time!

Fishies, I hope you can find the windows that you want. They do make a big statement in a room, so take your time and get what you want!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

The glass area is 34 inches. I think they're about as wide as a casement can get. Pella custom windows, doublepane low-e argon. We had a conundrum dealing with window sizes because the windows had to match existing window openings in other rooms also facing the street. These were formerly double-hungs.

It's easier to access cranks on my two flanking casement windows--they sit a few inches above countertop. The cranks on the countertop ht center windows at sink are knuckle-hitters. Pella custom casements.

[Editorial mode on.] Our original house had almost no architectural features except for the window pattern. We voted to keep the window sizes despite cost for custom windows all across the front. (Get out your checkbook!) In retrospect, since we were redoing entire front facade of house, we could have revised the plan and stuck to standard window sizes. I didn't realize that DH would have to attack the window openings of the adjacent rooms no matter how much I argued that we were NOT going to do anything to change those finished rooms. Even with same-size replacement windows, we had plaster dust everywhere for a year. We're still not done. And...sticking with the old window sizes meant that we were mandated to use two non-casements on bedrooms at side of house because the casements were a tad too small to be exit windows. AARGH!

Is climate an issue for you? Just want to say that at latitude 45, we are having issues in kitchen with window condensation. I sure wish I didn't have stained wood frames on windows. We're installing an air handling system, but wet window trim will always be an issue when it's cold. A fact of life here on the edge of the prairie.

[editorial mode off] Have fun stormin' the castle!

• kashmi
    12 years ago

2LittleFishies: Since you've asked about sliding/gliders a couple of times, I thought I'd share our experience.

We had a 4-foot slider/gliding window above our sink (see the picture below, complete with messy kitchen). The glider was easy to open and close, BUT, because of its location, if the window was open, water would get in the track -- being splashed from the sink. Crud from dish washing and from being blown in from outside through the screen also accumulated in the track.

Though it was an Anderson 400 series, over the last three or so years the window would get off the track -- usually in the dead of winter it seemed. We'd notice because of all the cold coming in around it. So we'd have to wrestle it back into place.

When we updated, we put in a 10 degree bow window and brought it down to countertop height. The bow has a fixed middle pane and a casement on each side. I like this much, much better.

From GardenWeb Photos

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

If you are happy with the general layout of your kitchen, I think a smashing window is about as good an investment as you can make. The increased cost over the cost of putting in a more pedestrian window will not be that daunting.

See celineike's kitchen at this link to see how much difference a wide, high, and shapely window can make.

Best of luck. hbk

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and after splendid new window.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

A plain square window with an arched wood soffit/valance above it in the interior would be so much more appropriate to your home's style. Create the illusion of an arched window through cabinet details or architectural details. Use a raised panel or recessed paneled arch to mimic your cabinet door style, along with some plinth blocks etc. to give it a bit more substance. The house will look coherent from the exterior and you will get a bit of detail that you love, but it will be easily removable if the next owner decides it's overboard for such a simple home.

{{gwi:1646649}}

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livewireoak- Great photos and I get you! Great alternatives that would still make me happy.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to possibly do something like this in between my LR and DR. Maybe.
    OK?

Wouldn't want to over do arches but if there's one in the kitchen as a valance and one in the other room ....

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- The arch doorway might be too formal, for your home. Are you doing the arch over the hood, like you have in the picture? That would pick up the window. You could also put an arch window, over the banquette...and maybe a regular window over the sink, using some of LWO's ideas. Lots of options :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I don't think arches are necessarily formal. Look at the LBD kitchen--she put in arched entrances and it looks great:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Black Dress kitchen

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just curious how doing a window arch vs a doorway arch would differ. Meaning, if it were okay for a window (or hood) why would it be too formal for a doorway?

Definitely don't want to overdo it. If I put an arch valance over window I wonder if doing one over the hood as well becomes too much in one room?

The doorway from LR to DR will not have any arches in those rooms.

lavender- over the banquette we need a window up high and being it's an 8' ceiling I don't think an arch. In that same room we'll also have the bay window with seat.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Arched valances and soffits were reasonably typical in homes of your era. Arched openings would have been a little outdated by then, but they were sometimes done. Be very careful with the casing. Do not copy anything elaborate from a more formal or older home. Many arched door openings had no casing at all in humbler houses.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Marcolo. Understood. Would the casing above be considered elaborate/formal? I don't think so and I prefer it over having no trim at all.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I agree with Marcolo...an arch without a casing would look better. Maybe a softer curve too, instead of the slight corners, in your picture.

As for the arch over the hood and the arched window...I was just looking at your inspiration photo :)

You know, if the arched window is too expensive, what about a simple (no molding) arch, between the rooms...and the slight arch you have in the upper cabinets, in your yellow kitchen, with the white island?

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

2littlefishies--this is what we ended up doing with ours (mine was the post with the same inspiration photo as you.) Our home is quite informal, yet we brought a couple elements into play that are typically thought of as belonging in a formal home--the cased arched doorways for example. They don't seem out of place and add some character to the rooms. IMO, the vast majority of houses that have been built of late lack alot of the character that the older homes have resulting in a more generic, cookie cutter style.(Obviously not the vast majority of homes on GW, though.) Think about the small 2bdrm 1ba homes some of our parents/grandparents had or grew up in--small space, not alot of formal rooms or even a formal style house, yet they had an arched doorway at the dining room and other things that added character to the house. So I guess what I'm trying to say, is do what you like (unless you are building a house to suit a certain period you are trying to be true to) because you will be the one living in it everyday. Here's our pics:

Arched Valance Over Sink:

Arched Hood:

Arched Entry to Dining Room:

Arched Foyer Doorway:

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Fishies, the casing you show isn't the most elaborate but still has a lot of gewgaws. Look at any existing casing in your home--the archway casing, if you use it, needs to fit in with that.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just learned a new word! "gewgaw"!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

So, did you get a quote on the window in the dream photo? Care to share?

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

most manufacturers have arch windows. you can get the anderson 200 vinyl line which is more affordable than their more expensive lines like anderson 400 or anderson architect (but you have to have white exteriors). you could also try getting the arch in a single hung window or stationary window instead of casement if you dont care how or if it opens-- i think casements are usually more expensive..
    another brand that is not too expensive where I am, is Sierra Pacific, which is a lumber provider to other windows manufacturers, so they have great prices on wood windows-- but i heard that windows brands and prices vary greatly by region, so YMMV..

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I priced similar, triple arch window, Anderson 400 series, about 4 feet high and 5ft. wide and it was $2,500 for my GC price, special order, 6 weeks to get it. I decided to do a bay window instead at less than half the cost.

Also note that molding for arched windows and doors are pricey. I have a cape also. My house has an original archway with no molding and it looks nice. Until meeting with contractors about my renovation, I never even gave a thought to its lack of molding. Now, I am adding another archway to my living room and I will probably leave it simple, with no molding, to match the original archway.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I didn't get a price yet. We'll see how it goes. I'm hesitant to do it if I won't look great with my inspiration (yellow) kitchen or my house?

Also, we wanted a 6' window and we have 8' ceilings so I'm wondering if the space will work (if there's room). We'll be meeting with our GC in the next week and can further discuss options.

Thanks for your ideas and dilly thanks for your pricing info and your comments on the arched doorways : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, how about this style of window?
    We'd actually do a rectangular casement probably but what about a transom window above with something like this? Wondering if this works better with my yellow inspiration kitchens above?

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Anachronistic for your house, especially the exterior.

Go price it all out--the windows, the valance idea, etc. and see where everything comes out.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo-
    Thanks! I really don't want to price things if they don't look right to begin with. I want to know what I want before I have the GC go searching a million things.

Right now, a rectangular casement is in the building plan with a Colonial or Modified Colonial Grille pattern. Same for the glass side door to our deck. I just thought the above was pretty but figured you might say it doesn't "fit". (which is fine.)

There's also the "prairie" grill pattern for window and door but I doubt that works either? Do you think colonial? Suggestions?

I AM thinking of doing some upper cabs with glass- I was thinking leaded but may change that based on budget. Like these:

or this, but I like the glass better-- even if it's more simple than above?

I appreciate any suggestions... I'm willing to let the arch look go or perhaps I'll just do the arched valance over window (depending on window) which the cabinet guy said is no problem...

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Good thing Marcolo did not see point #3 in the magazine article where you got the picture for the 11:13 post!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Angie-- HA!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- Any comments on my post at Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 12:20 regarding cabinet glass and window grilles? : )