Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ck_squared

x-post re: appliance choices

ck_squared
11 years ago

Since there's not as much traffic on the other forum, thought I'd try here. I appreciate any insight you can give me...

I have been investigating appliances for months now, researching the pros and cons of many of them both online and in-person. I think I've narrowed it down but am wondering if combining Thermador with KitchenAid appliances would be odd?

If you have any experience with any of these, please comment, good or bad. And feel free to give alternatives if you have any.

Here are my choices:

Rangetop: Thermador 36" gas rangetop PCG366G (this is the only appliance that we are positive about)
Double ovens: KA Architect Series KEBS209B
Microwave drawer: Thermador MD24JS
Fridge: 42" Thermador SxS KBUIT42
Dishwasher: KA Superba Architect Series KUDE48FX

Plus Zephyr hood and possibly an Electrolux beverage center.

Any opinions on my 5 main appliances?

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I mixed appliances( blue star, kitchen aid, Bosch, zephyr) and am very happy with my decisions. I have paneled my DW and refrig so they look the same even though different brands. Some folks who don't panel have made comments about the stainless steel finishes and handles not coordinating well. Something to consider if you are going with stainless.

• felixnot
    11 years ago

I've got good and bad news about your choices. The good news, KItchenAide DW is great. We also have the KA side by side fridge and like it a lot. We've had Thermador range and wall oven, and were very disappointed with them both from performance and quality of the parts. Especially given the price.. We went to Wolf range, and are very happy.

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

do a google search on kitchenaid wall oven class action to see what kinds of problems people have with this kind of oven. Also go to amazon and look up the kitchen aid architect wall oven reviews and you will find what you are looking for. Make sure to look at listed items with multiple reviews. I have had a very bad experience with whirlpool/IKEA wall oven, and Kitchenaid is made by whirlpool.

It is very sad to me with the job situation here in Michigan that I could not be more supportive of a major employer of US made goods in my own state.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I've had a Kichenaid Architect single wall oven (KEBS117S) since last July, and it's terrific. It got only 5 reviews on ajmadison.com, all 5-star but for one 4-star. I used self clean a few weeks ago, and the electronics didn't melt. Even with convection the baking is slightly uneven, so I try to remember to rotate/swap pans, but it's no big deal if I forget. So I'd say so far, so good! I don't know if the double oven is a different beast, so this review may or may not help.

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

bake should never be uneven with convection - that is the point of convection not to have to rotate cookie sheets - this is a service call.

go to searsoutlet.com to see all of the returned/refurbished KA wall ovens, and the real reviews.

This post was edited by detroit_burb on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 12:29

• magdiego
    11 years ago

On your microwave drawer, just wanted to make sure you knew that all m/w drawers are made by Sharp, so you can choose that based on price and/or styling. We chose Sharp, because we could get the best deal - the Wolf version would have been about twice the price.

• ck_squared
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you for giving me your opinions. They are much appreciated. After meeting with the appliance dealer this afternoon, she almost has me talked into the Thermador DO since I can get a better deal buying 4 Therm prods vs. 3. We shall see.

I asked about Sharp/Therm micro drawer, and again, she said I can get a better deal just by getting 4 Therm products instead of picking and choosing various brands. This isn't the 1-2-FREE deal, it's something else.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

We are replacing our KA double wall oven with a Bosch. Fingers crossed.

(faulty self clean cycle = new blower and thermostat)

KA just came out with a beautiful new double oven, but I simply won't buy KA again.