Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Restoring kitchen in shore home...

fivefootzero
10 years ago

Hi. We are trying to get some ideas on how to proceed with our kitchen in our home at the NJ Shore. The home sustained water from hurricane Sandy. Everything has been remediated, and we are now in the process of restoring the kitchen.

We have upper cabinets which are oak. I cannot replace with the same cabinets since they don't make them any more. My husband does not want to replace the uppers, since they are perfectly fine, and this is a vacation home. We are reusing the granite countertops that were there prior to the storm.

Would you try to match as closely as you can? Would you go in an opposite color direction? I was thinking of getting lowers in white and painting the oak on top to match. My husband does not like the two-tone trend of different color uppers and lowers either, so that eliminates that idea. The kitchen is open to the family room and sliders to the patio so I want something light and airy.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I usually can figure these things out but I'm stumped with this.

Comments (20)

• amykath
    10 years ago

If you cannot do two toned, then I would paint them all an off white or a color that you like.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I would not try to match them...a near miss is going to be noticeable. I think that I'd get unfinished base cabinets and paint them along with painting the uppers. What color is your granite?

It might be nice to do a color rather than just white/off-white, particularly for a beach home...I think about how pretty our recently posted light blue kitchen (magsnj) is and how something like that (light sea blue, sand, or sea-glass green) could be done to reflect the beachy feel of a home.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats a great idea andreak100. I never thought about unfinished cabinets. And I do like the idea of adding some color rather than just white. I'm doing white appliances and don't care for the white cabinet/white appliance look. Some color would be nice.

Thank you. Keep the ideas coming!!!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Or, couldn't you even get oak cabs in a close match and then do a color wash for a more 'sea glass-ey' feel? No clue if it would work but you asked for ideas!

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that idea deedles!!! Sea glass...love it!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Gray Color Wash

Chalk paint is easy and quick to work with. I just don't know how durable in a kitchen.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOVE that Duck Egg Blue...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes, it's a great color. Google Annie Sloan Chalk paint and kitchen. There are also people mixing the Duck Egg Blue with Provence, which makes it more turquoise.
    I've painted one dresser in chalk paint. No sanding, just slapped on the paint and then distressed a bit around the edges. Then I put some wax on it.
    Below is a link to ASCP for kitchen cabinets. The paint is expensive but really goes a long way. Do you have any old cabinets left to practice on?
    There's another chalk paint manufacturer, CeCe Caldwell that has more ready-made paints and is less expensive.

Here's a link to someone's kitchen project with a follow-up after 18 months.
    http://www.whimsicalperspective.com/2013/08/my-chalk-paint-kitchen-cabinets-update.html

Here is a link that might be useful: chalk paint kitchens

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 11:44

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I like the Duck Egg better than something deeper...feels very beachy to me. We're on a lagoon, so not necessarily at the beach, but water at least.

No, I don't have any old cabinets to practice on unfortunately.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

That's the mix.
    Can you get your hands on an old oak cabinet door or drawer front and get a small sample pot, just in case you may want to try this? There are plenty of very experienced users of AS chalk paint on the decorating forum.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my...I love that look. I like that for my counters better than the granite...not a fan of granite. I have soapstone at home, but that's not in the budget for shore house.

Thanks so much for the eye candy!!!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Think twice about wax in a kitchen.

Sure, it cures to a durable finish, but just one squirt or splash of Windex (Ammonia) takes it right off. And it's clearly visible. Not everyone in the world cleans with vinegar, so take how you clean -- or how a renter might -- before you finish with wax. You can antique with the wax, but I highly recommend a polyacrylic, coat or two since it won't yellow.

Just sayin'

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"My husband does not like the two-tone trend of different color uppers and lowers either, so that eliminates that idea."

Guys say a lot of stuff we really don't mean. Do it anyway. He'll get over it and probably think it was his idea later.

I've been in this business a long time. Men do not prevail.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Trebruchet, lol! I really needed that today.

definitely agree with your 2nd sentence. My DH was adamant he didn't want heated floors in a previous remodel, I had it put in anyway - he loves it!

I love all the suggestions

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

With respect to wax, I think some people suggest to skip it and go over the chalk paint with a varnish or lacquer (?). Previous link to instructions.

But in all honesty, I'd be really scared to paint brand new cabinets myself, even though I think that chalk paint is pretty much foolproof.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm one of those that actually DOES clean with vinegar!!!

And no renters...only family and friends.

Keep'em coming!!! Love all the ideas.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What does your granite look like?

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a picture of it...I have no clue what the name is...it was there already. And since it's been on the side of the house, facing in, I don't even know what it looks like LOL.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Haha, maybe that should factor into the decision on what to do with the cabinets, at least once it's time to pick a color.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths