Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coming....Going...Been? What have I read and haven't?

Posted by GreenDesigns (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 7:55

Love some of the new improvements. Don't get me wrong.

But we've lost the ability to keep track of which posts that we've read. No more color changing titles. I'm losing my mind. I read the same thread 3 times before I realized that it hadn't updated with new comments yet. All because I couldn't tell if I'd already clicked on it yet. (Haven't had my coffee yet.)

And I may be old, but I had to increase the font size 2x before I could read it. And now the screen is too wide and hard to scroll back and forth to read the forum.

I'm sure the team is working on all of the bugs. Just wanted to be sure this was one of the bugs that gets attention.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coming....Going...Been? What have I read and haven't?

I'd also like to know where I've been. Very confusing not to have the read threads change color.

o

It's a plot! I'm on my first cup of coffee. Could the change have happened because advertisers pay them for each click. Like you, Green, I've already clicked multiple times on a thread I've already read.

o

I am on internet explorer and my read threads turn red. I do have the ads covering quite a few texts tho.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:16

o

Yes it looks like they just fixed it. It was not working 10 minutes ago but it is now. Yay!

o

iMac, Safari: read files highlighted in red.

iPad, Safari: read files NOT highlighted.

No problem with ads on either device.

o

It's fixed for me, also, (on a mac, Safari Version 6.0.2) with read threads now highlighted in red.

o
What have I read and haven't? Update.

Read threads are now highlighted on my iPad.

o

Now on a PC with IE - all ads gone. No color change for threads I've read.

And here's a new one - all lines in all posts are centered between the lines that separate the posts.

o

Oddly enough I'm seeing the highlights only on the Electronics forum.

o

PC, Google Chrome (with adblock, so no ad overlap problem) read threads are sort of purplish, unread are black.

o

I also really dislike the fixed width of the content (a % width would be better). I'd much rather have the content fill my screen than have a narrow panel in the middle for content.

o

I agree, pricklypear. There is an awful lot of whitespace on my screen. Do you suppose that that space is reserved for ads (that I am blocking)?

I am also not nuts about the sans serif font and the subtle color scheme, but I suppose I will adjust....

o

My only issue is the font size which seems smaller than it did yesterday. My old lady eyes do NOT appreciate little letters.

o

Hopefully they will read the comments. I just commented on the other thread that the white background is just too stark to read comfortably. I think it was green before so hopefully it will be toned down somehow.

o

I also commented on the other thread AND sent my comments to GW administrators, but feel so strongly about the new format and font that I wanted to complain here too.

I do NOT like the new font or appearance. The font size, font style, and color scheme are hurting my eyes. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to read this morning before I need to leave. What a shame. I wish they would attack the lack of function on the site first before messing with the appearance, which was fine btw.

If you read the GW announcement, you'll see them mention how their motto is "do no harm". ((Insert laugh here.))

o

Also meant to add that I'm on an ipad, and the threads are NOT changing colors for me. Every thread is still a light blue, despite my having read a couple of them. And the light blue is too subtle and not easily distinguishable from all the white background. Yuck.

o

You're right, breezy, I was confused. The unread post titles for me are light blue - too light a blue - not black as I said before. My read ones have changed color, however. How strange that it depends on which OS and/or browser.

o

Yeah!

I had to shrink the font but I don't like the font and I don't like how skinny the column of actual text is and umm...are there any actual improvements? If there are, I'm not seeing them.

o

Oh my gosh the default font is hard to read.

For those of you with Firefox, if you hold down Ctrl and press the plus key, the font size will increase.

This post was edited by annkathryn on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:11

o

Red for Read on Chrome, too.

Call me picky, but I'm not hip to the centered justification.
At least HMTL tags work. I'll have to figure out a template to use to get a left justification

It's nice and bright.... I kinda liked the less IN YOUR FACE of the muted colors.

They could change the blurbs at the top. Exactly in what year was last year's flood?

o

Hmmm, mine is left-justified. Has been the whole time. (Safari on a Mac.)

o

Safari on Mac. Left-justified. I'm okay with the sans serif font.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here