Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_greendesigns_

Coming....Going...Been? What have I read and haven't?

GreenDesigns
11 years ago

Love some of the new improvements. Don't get me wrong.

But we've lost the ability to keep track of which posts that we've read. No more color changing titles. I'm losing my mind. I read the same thread 3 times before I realized that it hadn't updated with new comments yet. All because I couldn't tell if I'd already clicked on it yet. (Haven't had my coffee yet.)

And I may be old, but I had to increase the font size 2x before I could read it. And now the screen is too wide and hard to scroll back and forth to read the forum.

I'm sure the team is working on all of the bugs. Just wanted to be sure this was one of the bugs that gets attention.

Comments (22)

• function_first
    11 years ago

I'd also like to know where I've been. Very confusing not to have the read threads change color.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

It's a plot! I'm on my first cup of coffee. Could the change have happened because advertisers pay them for each click. Like you, Green, I've already clicked multiple times on a thread I've already read.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I am on internet explorer and my read threads turn red. I do have the ads covering quite a few texts tho.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:16

• taggie
    11 years ago

Yes it looks like they just fixed it. It was not working 10 minutes ago but it is now. Yay!

• darbuka
    11 years ago

iMac, Safari: read files highlighted in red.

iPad, Safari: read files NOT highlighted.

No problem with ads on either device.

• function_first
    11 years ago

It's fixed for me, also, (on a mac, Safari Version 6.0.2) with read threads now highlighted in red.

• darbuka
    11 years ago

Read threads are now highlighted on my iPad.

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Now on a PC with IE - all ads gone. No color change for threads I've read.

And here's a new one - all lines in all posts are centered between the lines that separate the posts.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Oddly enough I'm seeing the highlights only on the Electronics forum.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

PC, Google Chrome (with adblock, so no ad overlap problem) read threads are sort of purplish, unread are black.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I also really dislike the fixed width of the content (a % width would be better). I'd much rather have the content fill my screen than have a narrow panel in the middle for content.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I agree, pricklypear. There is an awful lot of whitespace on my screen. Do you suppose that that space is reserved for ads (that I am blocking)?

I am also not nuts about the sans serif font and the subtle color scheme, but I suppose I will adjust....

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

My only issue is the font size which seems smaller than it did yesterday. My old lady eyes do NOT appreciate little letters.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Hopefully they will read the comments. I just commented on the other thread that the white background is just too stark to read comfortably. I think it was green before so hopefully it will be toned down somehow.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I also commented on the other thread AND sent my comments to GW administrators, but feel so strongly about the new format and font that I wanted to complain here too.

I do NOT like the new font or appearance. The font size, font style, and color scheme are hurting my eyes. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to read this morning before I need to leave. What a shame. I wish they would attack the lack of function on the site first before messing with the appearance, which was fine btw.

If you read the GW announcement, you'll see them mention how their motto is "do no harm". ((Insert laugh here.))

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Also meant to add that I'm on an ipad, and the threads are NOT changing colors for me. Every thread is still a light blue, despite my having read a couple of them. And the light blue is too subtle and not easily distinguishable from all the white background. Yuck.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

You're right, breezy, I was confused. The unread post titles for me are light blue - too light a blue - not black as I said before. My read ones have changed color, however. How strange that it depends on which OS and/or browser.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Yeah!

I had to shrink the font but I don't like the font and I don't like how skinny the column of actual text is and umm...are there any actual improvements? If there are, I'm not seeing them.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh the default font is hard to read.

For those of you with Firefox, if you hold down Ctrl and press the plus key, the font size will increase.

This post was edited by annkathryn on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 17:11

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Red for Read on Chrome, too.

Call me picky, but I'm not hip to the centered justification.
    At least HMTL tags work. I'll have to figure out a template to use to get a left justification

It's nice and bright.... I kinda liked the less IN YOUR FACE of the muted colors.

They could change the blurbs at the top. Exactly in what year was last year's flood?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Hmmm, mine is left-justified. Has been the whole time. (Safari on a Mac.)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Safari on Mac. Left-justified. I'm okay with the sans serif font.